Home

Weirdest Bowl Season?

This is a discussion on Weirdest Bowl Season? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2018, 08:45 AM   #1
Rookie

frstbasmn13's Arena

OVR: 1
Weirdest Bowl Season?

What’s your oddest bowl bowl season moments? Mine just happened my 12-0 Hawai’i faced off against #2 12-0 Notre Dame in the PAC-12 Championship game which we won. I move on to the National Title game and it’s us AGAIN vs #2 Notre Dame. Anyone ever seen this before or had anything wild happen during your post season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Weirdest Bowl Season?

First time I ever saw an intraconference national title was Michigan-Ohio State in like NCAA 09 or something. Which would also be an immediate rematch.

I've seen Ohio State and Iowa play once when one was 11-1 and one was 12-0 in an NCAA 07 sim back when they had 8-game division schedules.

Now with my current promotion-relegation set up, I've had at least one title game between the winner and runner-up of the same conference. Also had Purdue and Duke play in the title after they both went 13-0 against trash schedules two seasons ago.

This last season, I had at least two 7-5 and at least one 6-6 team coming out of the AAC not get a bowl. I kinda love the severe cruelty of it.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Happened to me this season (2022). I'm in the big 12, and I was #1 basically all year. Faced #2 TCU midseason and won 45-24. Met #2 Oklahoma in the conference championship and won 38-34. Then the national championship was a rematch with #2 TCU, which I won 65-52. Into conference championship week, I was #1, #2 Oklahoma, #3 TCU, #4 Florida State, #5 Mississippi State. Both FSU and Miss St lost, so TCU got the nod for a rematch.

Oklahoma dropped to 5th or 6th, but got left out of BCS bowls. For some reason, they took #10 Marshall over Oklahoma, and a couple other teams with lower ranks too. Washington got a BCS in the rose bowl only because they're pac 12, they were unranked.

After bowl season, TCU was still #2 despite a 10-3 record. Michigan was still behind them, despite only one loss.

I had a similar situation in 2021 too. I was #1, #2 Oklahoma, #3 Texas, going into championship week. I won, but Texas got leap frogged by UCF. So the national championship was me vs UCF and Texas left looking in from the outside.

Major Boise State fan
Old 08-03-2018, 01:41 AM   #4
Get off my lawn

JHamilton9's Arena

I had weird scenarios in back-to-back seasons, and I was creating a 4-team playoff.

Big Ten Championship: #2 Ohio State (11-1; only loss to Illinois) vs. #1 Illinois (12-0)
Ohio State won in the last minute.

Playoff Semifinal 1: #1 Ohio State (12-1) vs. #4 Illinois (12-1), meeting for the third time this season
Playoff Semifinal 2: #2 Penn State (10-2; only losses to Ohio State and Illinois) vs. #3 Oregon (10-3, Pac-12 Champion)
Illinois crushed Ohio State, going 2-1 against them for the year. Oregon beat Penn State.

In the National Championship, Oregon beat Penn State, keeping the Big Ten from winning a title.

In the following season,
#1 Idaho (12-0, never played a team with a winning record)
#2 Arizona (10-2, didn't win their division, but did beat 2 FCS teams)
#3 Oklahoma State (Big XII Champ)
#4 Oregon (Pac-12 Champ)

Oregon crushed Idaho, 69-3. Then Oklahoma State blew out Arizona. In the National Championship, Oregon beat Oklahoma State, claiming their second-straight title.

After those 2 seasons, it made me re-think how to develop a formula to better place the playoff teams instead of just going with the BCS rankings. I could image the outrage if the playoff scenarios turned out like that IRL.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:05 PM   #5
Pro

Dj2360's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by frstbasmn13
What’s your oddest bowl bowl season moments? Mine just happened my 12-0 Hawai’i faced off against #2 12-0 Notre Dame in the PAC-12 Championship game which we won. I move on to the National Title game and it’s us AGAIN vs #2 Notre Dame. Anyone ever seen this before or had anything wild happen during your post season.
This is gonna sound insane, but... During my Penn State Dynasty. I was in about year 8, and we had already won like 5 Natty's, so we were established as a powerhouse... My team finished the regular season 8-4, and made the B1G Championship Game. We won, finished 9-4, and played in the national championship... Not really sure what the landscape looked like, but I know that all other teams had lost at least 2-3 games, so that left the top team who was 1 loss, and me as a 4 loss team. We won the Natty and finished 10-4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2018, 08:11 PM   #6
Rookie

beastmode2013's Arena

BCS NC was almost between two G5 schools. #1 Eastern Washington (MWC) vs #2 Northern Illinois (MAC)(?) but NIU lost their title game.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:04 PM   #7
Pro

NolesFanatic17's Arena

Had a BCS Championship once where Clemson won the ACC Atlantic lost in the ACC Title to UNC only to see #3 FSU move up to #2 and win the Title over #1 Michigan. UNC went to the Orange Bowl and while Clemson got to go to the Chic-Fil-A Bowl even though Clemson was still higher ranked

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-04-2018, 09:23 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolesFanatic17
Had a BCS Championship once where Clemson won the ACC Atlantic lost in the ACC Title to UNC only to see #3 FSU move up to #2 and win the Title over #1 Michigan. UNC went to the Orange Bowl and while Clemson got to go to the Chic-Fil-A Bowl even though Clemson was still higher ranked

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Makes sense. ACC champ goes to the Orange Bowl

Edit: unless you had autobids turned off

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »