Home

How do you play?

This is a discussion on How do you play? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #1
@HoundsOfHowl

HoundsOfHowl's Arena

OVR: 5
How do you play?

So I’m rebooting my love for NCAA 14, and was looking for some advice.

Is it more fun to sim games, cpu vs cpu, coach mode, or the A button mode where you really only use it to run the option plays and let cpu do the rest.

I’ve never found a tough enough slider set, and I like to lose games that I really should lose and sometimes playing I never get that feeling.

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #2
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How do you play?

It's really up to you,as an individual, to decide. Personally, I can't do coach mode. It's just not fun to me. I want to control my players.

There's some threads on here that are great for finding a challenge. "Dynasty House Rules Ideas" and "The game outside the game" are great to get you started. These suggestions are pulled from those threads, I take no credit for them. If you're looking for a challenge as a user, I recommend some or all of the following, depending on your skill level:

-DO NOT use coaching skill trees. This is major, only use recruiting tree. The skill trees heavily favor the user and make the game insanely easy. It's also a better challenge to not know right off the bat if your receiver will burn the corner he is matched up with

-NO "Guess play" on defense. I have found this makes it very easy to defend. If you want to use it on 1st or 2nd down and play the risk game, by all means go for it. If you guess run left and they go right, you got burnt. Don't guess pass on 3rd and 18 though. Or even on 3rd and 8. Everyone knows its a pass, and the boost you get by guessing pass almost ensures you get the stop. Give the CPU a chance, avoid this feature.

-JKit's slider set. You will actually see penalties with these at a realistic rate, 4-5 per game. I love that.

-Turn fatigue off for the second half kickoff, then back on after the kickoff. It seems to reset the fatigue and the CPU isn't gassed for the second half while you shred them

-Go into your coaching philosophy and set the defense 1 notch left, toward defending the run. This makes the CPU offense more aggressive with downfield passing

-No read options. At best, use very few of them. It's an overpowered play and makes the game too easy

-On that note, no money plays. Force yourself to open the playbook and call more than you're comfortable with. I have found that calling plays by "play type" makes this easier to do. That way, you're looking through stuff like "inside run, outside run, standard pass, short pass" etc. It opens up your formations a lot more too. If you can't manage to avoid money plays, make a custom playbook without them. This goes for defense too. Don't just sit in cover 3 all game every game, change it up.

-No blitz bonanzas. Don't blitz every play, keep it realistic to maybe 30% of plays. On top of that, don't use the LB when blitzing, it's too easy.

-Limit yourself to coverage, no rushing the passer. I typically use the MLB, but it's easy to dominate the CPU in pass rush and the run game. So now, I usually use the safety and may switch to MLB on 3rd and long just to cover his zone (I'm more comfortable covering the middle of the field and not 2 deep lol)

-Feel free to impose recruiting restrictions to avoid becoming a powerhouse. My rule is any 5* recruit has to start immediately. Another rule I have is no 4* or higher recruits for depth, they can only be targeted if they will be the likely starter by their 2nd year on campus. This stops you from getting a QB who is 99 followed by a 91 followed by an 85 etc. It makes you have to rebuild sometimes. For example, my star QB was a Jr but declared for the draft. This left me with only incoming freshmen at QB, highest rated is a 75.

-One additional thing you can do is player lock on defense. I don't do this though, not yet at least.

Using these basics, I've had a better challenge. I'm 5-2 with a team that is 88 overall. I lost to a 93 Oklahoma 43-38, and an 86 Boise State 30-27. I'm a pretty seasoned guy and get a lot of gaming in, so I can say confidently these have given me the right combination for a challenge, and literally revitalized the game for me.

Major Boise State fan
Old 09-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
Rookie

The sliders silverbullet mention are pretty tough. I try the no switch on D but sometimes still do. As far as everything else, I agree with how he plays.

One suggestion, try a different offense and defense scheme than your used to playing with. I started one up with UTEP and running the navy flex offense. I lost my first game at the goalie bc I misread the edge. Then next game won with 35 secs left.

For another added toughness, I’ve seen guys say they make everyone seniors and start all over with freshman and walk ons. I’m thinking of trying that myself next dynasty

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #4
@HoundsOfHowl

HoundsOfHowl's Arena

Thanks guys, I’ll look into these tips.

Usually I do restrict my recruitment and have a giant spreadsheet of data, but maybe if I keep winning I’ll just sim and recruit.

That’s how I play NCAA college hoops, is just sim the season and play the important games, and usually knock out some great dynasties with it
Old 09-09-2018, 05:34 PM   #5
MVP

JBCAROLINAKID's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundsOfHowl
So I’m rebooting my love for NCAA 14, and was looking for some advice.

Is it more fun to sim games, cpu vs cpu, coach mode, or the A button mode where you really only use it to run the option plays and let cpu do the rest.

I’ve never found a tough enough slider set, and I like to lose games that I really should lose and sometimes playing I never get that feeling.

Thanks!
I personally love to play dynasty mode and recruit and make all the moves and just let the cpu vs cpu play the games. I get the players and let them do what they do. Thedudedominick has an absolutely great slider set for it and outrunfire0290 has a this season edited roster that is rated very well. Most teams are done just a few smaller schools not. I'm on xbox1. If your on ps4 it's vikesfans roster.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2018, 06:22 PM   #6
MVP

I have a teambuilder dynasty in coach mode using Josh's sliders and excellent recruiting restrictions.

It's far from too easy especially if you locate your teambuilder school in a state with poor recruiting like I did - South Dakota. I finally managed to make a bowl game last season but was blown out in my bowl game vs USC.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:46 PM   #7
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by muchacho
The sliders silverbullet mention are pretty tough. I try the no switch on D but sometimes still do. As far as everything else, I agree with how he plays.

One suggestion, try a different offense and defense scheme than your used to playing with. I started one up with UTEP and running the navy flex offense. I lost my first game at the goalie bc I misread the edge. Then next game won with 35 secs left.

For another added toughness, I’ve seen guys say they make everyone seniors and start all over with freshman and walk ons. I’m thinking of trying that myself next dynasty

I did that in my Sonoma State dynasty. Made the first couple years very tough even on default sliders

Major Boise State fan
Old 09-10-2018, 06:00 AM   #8
All Star

beast10's Arena

OVR: 36
How do you play?

doesn’t get much fanfare, but i’ve been USERing both offenses for like a year now.

basically, try & score every possession — no matter which side. no bias. both sides get that “user advantage” ...

i’ve played to this method, and it took until 2029 to win my first ever national title (started with cupcake teambuilder) ... and haven’t won another, nor conference title, since, as i’m now midway through 2037. we also haven’t won over 10 games in i believe four seasons, and went 5-7 last year.

i really encourage it. especially since u said you like to see the better team win.

but, of course, it’s a tough idea to grasp (beating your own team), but when it comes to producing results, if you buy in, it doesn’t lie.

the only case in which i wouldn’t recommend it is if you throw a ton of INT’s, because then that’d just be a mess.

and don’t use money plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »