Home

Ranking System

This is a discussion on Ranking System within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2018, 08:41 PM   #1
Rookie

Big ND 03's Arena

OVR: 0
Ranking System

How does the Ranking system work?

In my last year I was playing as Nebraska in my 4th year I had won the previous 3 national championships and had top 5 recruiting classes every year.

In my 4th year I started out as #3 and went undefeated by the last week of the season I was #1 and somehow got jumped by 2 other undefeated teams I thought maybe because I played an unranked team I dropped but then I beat #8 OSU in the Big 10 championship game and won. I didn’t go back to #2 and had to play in he rose bowl.

The same thing happened my next year also, I scheduled the #1 #4 #10 and #22 teams as my out of conference schedule and have played 2 Ranked Big 10 school and was jumped by a school again?

I guess what I’m asking is why am I falling when I am winning by an average of 28 points against good competition?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2018, 09:07 PM   #2
Rookie

trippyN's Arena

Re: Ranking System

If this is NCAA 14, I think the ranking system can be broken at times.

Too often I see teams like Northern Illinois or Ohio be ranked in the top 5 at the end of the season with a 10-2 record because teams like Alabama, who are #1 and undefeated all season but lose their rivalry game to a ranked Auburn or in the SEC championship, get dropped entirely out of the top 10. An (11-1) Alabama would always be ranked higher than any team from the MAC, but that's not always the case in NCAA 14. I think it really prioritizes late season losses, but if you're going undefeated I couldn't tell ya. The system doesn't mimic how it would in reality though.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #3
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

I've been leapfrogged when undefeated. I was #1 and Florida was #2. They leaped to #1 after CCW and we met in the national title game, which I lost.

What were the undefeated teams that passed you up? I think it primarily weighs strength of schedule, which is heavily favored by conference. So if there's multiple undefeated teams, the SEC ones will be on top. I think in NCAA 14 the PAC 12 is favored over the Big 10 too, at least early in a dynasty.

Major Boise State fan
Old 10-03-2018, 11:56 PM   #4
Rookie

Big ND 03's Arena

It was West Virginia and Virginia Tech. I am #3 now because Miami and Arizona as also undefeated even thought I’ve beaten 6 ranked teams this year... seems silly
Old 10-04-2018, 12:19 AM   #5
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big ND 03
It was West Virginia and Virginia Tech. I am #3 now because Miami and Arizona as also undefeated even thought I’ve beaten 6 ranked teams this year... seems silly

Are you Notre Dame (based on your username)?

The system is almost against independent teams, it essentially considers it the lowest conference because everyone sucks. Definitely a shortcoming

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Major Boise State fan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2018, 08:41 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big ND 03
Are they ranked now or were they ranked when you played them? Because if it's when you played them that doesn't matter if they aren't ranked anymore.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyN
If this is NCAA 14, I think the ranking system can be broken at times.

Too often I see teams like Northern Illinois or Ohio be ranked in the top 5 at the end of the season with a 10-2 record because teams like Alabama, who are #1 and undefeated all season but lose their rivalry game to a ranked Auburn or in the SEC championship, get dropped entirely out of the top 10. An (11-1) Alabama would always be ranked higher than any team from the MAC, but that's not always the case in NCAA 14. I think it really prioritizes late season losses, but if you're going undefeated I couldn't tell ya. The system doesn't mimic how it would in reality though.
What I've noticed is that teams often seem to get rewarded for losing to ranked teams. Often when I see teams that seem out of place and I check their schedules I see that their 1 or 2 losses are to ranked teams.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:03 PM   #8
Rookie

trippyN's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
What I've noticed is that teams often seem to get rewarded for losing to ranked teams. Often when I see teams that seem out of place and I check their schedules I see that their 1 or 2 losses are to ranked teams.
That's possible. I should have checked before I started a new season.

But another thing I've noticed is that the game seems to be very upset friendly. In week 1 of a new season:
- Western Michigan beat #11 Mich State
- UNLV beat Minnesota
- UMass beat #3 Wisconsin
- Syracuse beat #20 Penn State
- Ohio beat Louisville
- Washington State beat #10 Auburn
- and several FCS teams actually won their games (though mostly versus Ga State, SJSU, etc.)

Now this might be more than the usual, but I feel like the number of upsets throughout the season are still relatively high. If a highly ranked team falls in one of these games maybe that's why they are so highly polled against later in the season.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »