Home

Coaching Experience?

This is a discussion on Coaching Experience? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-27-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Coaching Experience?

Hey guys,

Just bought this game over the weekend and am halfway into my Idaho rebuild project - its been amazing so far and I love the sliders/house rules I read on here, but there is one glaring observation I’ve witnessed - its hilariously easy to level up your head coach/coaching assistants!

I’m 2-4 so far and my coach is already level 4! Its so easy to level him, even via losing - I also obviously put all 4 points into recruiting and can now 100% scout players (in one week) which is HUGE...and also seems too easy lol. I didn’t see a preference for coaching tree experience in the OS sliders official page so I just set my coach at level 1 and default settings all around.

My question is: is there a way to make it more difficult/slow down my experience points intake? Should I avoid the recruiting tree as it will make it too easy? Or at least put in every other point into recruiting? And finally, are there certain skills I should avoid entirely as they will make the game, even on heisman, too easy or cheesy (for both head coach and OC/DC)?

Thanks!

***Side-question: what’s up with the zero assist tackles for my players only btw?

Last edited by Polish2Go; 11-27-2018 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Edit
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2018, 11:29 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Coaching Experience?

You have to set the coach progression (or whatever it's called) to Very Slow instead of Default. Thing is, it also sets it for all coaches around the league. And you're gaining levels fast because you're just on the ground floor, as you skill up, it starts taking longer and longer to reach levels.

Very Slow imo takes WAY too long (I remember having a successful season and only getting maybe 1 or 2 points to spend within the season). Slow is alright, but I ended up just saying screw it and sticking with default. As I said, the longer you go, the longer it starts taking to level.

Also, you have to set this before you start a dynasty. You can't change once you've started.

Last edited by Von Dozier; 11-27-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:01 PM   #3
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Dozier is correct, you have to set it to slow or very slow at the very beginning of the dynasty. Default you progress rapidly.

I think I have mine set to slow, I don't recall but it's either on slow or very slow. I'm in year 12 (spent 1 year as Idaho OC then took over HC at my teambuilder team). After 8 conference titles and 2 national championships, I'm around level 30.

Also, DON'T use the coaching skill trees lol. I only use the recruiting one as a HC. I leave the gameplan one, and both coordinator trees entirely empty. It was pointed out here that it makes the game much more challenging, and its absolutely true. If you need sliders, I recommend JKit's

Major Boise State fan
Old 11-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

I'm about 30 years into my dynasty, so I haven't tried this, but what I've seen some people say is set the progression to fast so that CPU coaches progress faster (and thus give you more of a challenge), but don't use all of the levels you accumulated yourself.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:05 PM   #5
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN30
I'm about 30 years into my dynasty, so I haven't tried this, but what I've seen some people say is set the progression to fast so that CPU coaches progress faster (and thus give you more of a challenge), but don't use all of the levels you accumulated yourself.
I like this idea, too bad I can't change it mid dynasty! I've had the itch to play with my long time love Boise State (especially after seeing a game on the blue), if I play a dynasty on the side with them I'll do this.

Major Boise State fan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
Dozier is correct, you have to set it to slow or very slow at the very beginning of the dynasty. Default you progress rapidly.

I think I have mine set to slow, I don't recall but it's either on slow or very slow. I'm in year 12 (spent 1 year as Idaho OC then took over HC at my teambuilder team). After 8 conference titles and 2 national championships, I'm around level 30.

Also, DON'T use the coaching skill trees lol. I only use the recruiting one as a HC. I leave the gameplan one, and both coordinator trees entirely empty. It was pointed out here that it makes the game much more challenging, and its absolutely true. If you need sliders, I recommend JKit's
Good to know! I値l just have to reset then as I know I知 on normal defaults - so only use the HC points for recruiting and then nothing with the coordinator痴 points? The game will allow you to proceed without filling out the chart? And the points just sit there to be used later I知 guessing?

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2018, 11:35 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

As Von Dozier and SilverBullet19 have identified, the default progression is very fast. I think it is too fast. I set my progression to very slow, because I play my dynasty for at least 50 years (I think 63 seasons is the max). In my current dynasty, I started as the OC for Idaho. We went 11-2 and Paul Petrino got hired away and I was promoted to head coach. I spent 6 seasons as head coach at Idaho and was 2-2 in Championship Games (I do an 8-team playoff). I then took over the Rutgers job and am in the third season there where I'm 1-1 in Championship games, playing Idaho both times (about halfway through the season and I'm #1 with Idaho #2). To give you an idea how the very slow setting is, I've played 9.5 seasons, with 3 championships, and 3 championship losses and I am currently at coaching level 20.

Have fun with the game. This site is filled with knowledgeable people. The roster crew is outstanding and I'd recommend getting the roster here if you haven't already.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:39 PM   #8
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish2Go
Good to know! I値l just have to reset then as I know I知 on normal defaults - so only use the HC points for recruiting and then nothing with the coordinator痴 points? The game will allow you to proceed without filling out the chart? And the points just sit there to be used later I知 guessing?

Thanks!

Yeah you can proceed without using points. At the bottom of the screen in menus it just constantly says how many points are available lol. I have then all empty except the recruiting

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Major Boise State fan

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »