Home

3rd and 8 or more. Your Clutch Pass Play?

This is a discussion on 3rd and 8 or more. Your Clutch Pass Play? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-11-2018, 09:07 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
3rd and 8 or more. Your Clutch Pass Play?

Just curious. So, around 3rd and 8 or more or whatever. What are your top two passing plays? Your go to deals to get that first down? Do you have one that beats man and one that beats zone?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2018, 10:28 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: 3rd and 8 or more. Your Clutch Pass Play?

Corner strike out any formation. Both outside guys do a corner route always 1 open. Or Pistol wing over roll out. I forgot the actual name. Outside WR does a curl and the inside WR does a over the top to the sideline. Read the outside corner if he covers his man the inside over out is always open, if not hit the curl. The defense sometimes doesn't even cover the inside WR in this formation audible to a all streaks and easy 10 years easily.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:31 PM   #3
MVP

Play action power O from various formations with the tight end as the primary receiver. The key is to recruit a fast tight end and run the play to the wide side of the field so he catches the ball in bounds.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:20 PM   #4
Pro

THe thing about play action is my QB always gets sacked. He gets the ball, fakes handoff, and then bam, he's on his backside. Need more time.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:25 PM   #5
Pro

Y shallow cross from the split offset formation is nice. Other formations have the same concept but use a tight end and the route is deeper in other formations.

Y corner (I believe) where the two receiver side has a corner over a stick and the three receiver side has a post, corner, and stick route.

Slot seam sometimes.

Deep attack (streak/out on one side and post/streak on the other) are a few I use.

Also trail shake from trey offset is feast of famine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2018, 12:32 AM   #6
MVP

whughes's Arena

I have success with the levels play out of trips. I usually hot route the back side receiver to either a slant or a curl. If it’s zone read the linebacker and either hit the short in route or the one behind him, if its man the back side receiver on the slant or curl is usually open

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

Old 12-12-2018, 07:29 AM   #7
All Star

beast10's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr862
Corner strike out any formation. Both outside guys do a corner route always 1 open. Or Pistol wing over roll out. I forgot the actual name. Outside WR does a curl and the inside WR does a over the top to the sideline. Read the outside corner if he covers his man the inside over out is always open, if not hit the curl. The defense sometimes doesn't even cover the inside WR in this formation audible to a all streaks and easy 10 years easily.

corner strike is definitely the play lol— works like 95% of the time. i credit a lot of my earlier dynasty wins to that play alone

that said, it was too OP so i probably haven’t actually ran it in over 20 seasons. that & four verts

i always go with the ask coach plays though , so usually the top options are FL Dig, curls , i like the deep attack as well. the other corner routes work pretty good too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegefbfan
Just curious. So, around 3rd and 8 or more or whatever. What are your top two passing plays? Your go to deals to get that first down? Do you have one that beats man and one that beats zone?

A good play is Y-Trips HB Wk formation, Curls play. Shotgun formation with the HB and SE to the left of the QB and a TE and 2 WRs to the right. The two outside receivers run 10-yard hitch patterns while the WR in the slot runs a post. The TE and RB go to the flat on their respective side of the formation. If man, the hitch is nearly always open provided you throw the ball on time and a fast slot WR may beat the nickle CB. If Cover 2 zone, the post-hitch action is similar to a smash concept in that the CB defending the strong side will likely get drawn up by the TE to the flat while the safety will likely take the post. If the S plays the hitch on the right and the weak safety covers the post (unlikely), the SE is likely open on the hitch. If all three are covered, you dump the ball to the TE or HB and possibly gain enough yardage where you can consider going on 4th or improve field position for the kick.

Another is Normal Y-Flex formation, HB Flare play. Another shotgun formation with 11 personnel. The TE and HB are on the right side of the QB with the TE in the slot. 2 WRs left and a WR right. The left outside receiver runs a GO, the WR in the slot runs a 5 -- 7 yard out, the TE runs a slant while the right outside WR runs a hitch. The TE is usually open on this play over the middle because both safeties are concerned with the outside WRs.

I don't recall the name of the formation or play off the top of my head, but there is another good Shotgun with 11 personnel play for zone coverage (or man with a good receiving / balanced TE). The TE lines up next to the RT with a flanker to his right. The TB is to the left of the QB with two WRs on the left of the formation. This play is a simple concept where you are almost always throwing to the right side (which is why I don't remember what the SE is doing). The TE and slot WR on the left run angle routes while the FL on the right runs a DIG. If the MLB follows the TE, the DIG is always open against zone. If the MLB doesn't follow the TE, the TE is open. The slot WR's angle route takes the weakside safety out of the play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »