Home

Offensive Plays For The Non-Football Minded

This is a discussion on Offensive Plays For The Non-Football Minded within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Offensive Plays For The Non-Football Minded

So, let's say you love college football...like me. However, you have never stepped foot on the field, taken a snap, or tried to read a defense... like me. But you love this game... like me. So, on NCAA football 14, what are some offensive plays especially passing that you can do when you aren't that great reading defenses or going through your progressions? I do have a mobile QB if that helps.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2018, 04:17 PM   #2
Pro

osubucki6's Arena

Re: Offensive Plays For The Non-Football Minded

It’s kinda hard for me to help on this because everyone is different and so I don’t know what exactly you’re struggling with. I would suggest going into the skills trainer and going through some route concept tutorials assuming it has them.

Shallow cross concepts are pretty easy, hitting whichever drag is open. I usually like to leave a curl on the field when I run this to hit against man coverage.

Another thing you could try for now because you have a mobile QB is to look for only the primary receiver in a play. If you feel it’s covered, scramble and run. Never tried this personally so I can’t say if it would help or not.
NBA-Sonics :'(
Old 12-28-2018, 06:44 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubucki6

Another thing you could try for now because you have a mobile QB is to look for only the primary receiver in a play. If you feel it’s covered, scramble and run. Never tried this personally so I can’t say if it would help or not.
A la Vince Young when he was at Texas

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2018, 09:37 PM   #4
Pro

Motion somebody to see if they’re in man or zone. If they’re in man, the defender will follow a receiver. Against man you should run quick cutting routes (slants, drags, outs, ins).

If they’re playing press (corners close to the receiver and bumping them) man and have a single high safety (one safety in the middle), I often hot route one of my receivers to go deep and test the coverage.

If they’re playing a single high safety in zone, its often cover 3, so you won’t be going deep as much. I run similar shorter routes as man against this. If it’s two safeties, it’s likely cover 2. With cover 2 you can exploit the corners with corner routes or out routes along with the deep middle of the field.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:38 PM   #5
Pro

Thanks toxic. That advice is at least one step in the right direction.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2018, 12:23 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 2

Toxic had a great reply. A few things I’d add:

Cover 3: 10-15 ins are great. Hit them over middle of the field. Only caution is watch for middle LB playing zone. This game has the tendency to turn LBs into Superman and give them incredible verticals to create unrealistic INTs.

Man: Work shallow crosses and corner routes. I love the 5 WR sets.

Setup DBs by mixing in quick slants and WR screens. I used to implement curls, but it’s 50/50 if the CPU will jump it for an INT. Same with comebacks — I never have enough time for the WR to complete the route.

Establish the run and utilize play action.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:37 AM   #7
Pro

Sure thing.
Cover 3 is designed to stop deep passes but it leaves underneath open.

Cover 2 is designed to stop underneath routes, but corner routes and seam routes are weaknesses

Cover 4 can stop deep routes and corner routes but the flats and checkedowns are often open

Cover 6 is kind of weird and I’m not really sure
how to explain it. It’s basically cover 3.

Man allows you to bring more pressure but can leave you vulnerable.

In the game it’s important to realize you don’t need to go deep every time. If the outside corners leave you space, stick routes and out routes are good. If they’re playing close, streak routes and slots going across the middle are good.

Most of my success comes across the middle.

Pass defense can be hard, but you’ll notice tendencies with cpu teams that can tip off what’s coming.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #8
Pro

osubucki6's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by xToXiCxSAVAGEx
Cover 6 is kind of weird and I’m not really sure
how to explain it. It’s basically cover 3.
Cover 6 is cover 3 on one side of the field and cover 2 on the other side. It may seem easiest to attack the sideline on the cover 2 side (which you can tell before the play based on the corner closest to the LOS), but that can be risky as it could actually be a cover 3 cloud which looks almost identical but is just a regular cover 3 with both safeties and one corner covering deep thirds and the other corner in a flat. The smartest thing to do when you see a cover 6 look is set a cover 2 beater on the cover 2 side and a cover 3 beater on the 3 side, and focus on going to the cover 3 side unless you’re certain it’s cover 6.
NBA-Sonics :'(

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »