Home

Some College Football Defense Do's & Don'ts

This is a discussion on Some College Football Defense Do's & Don'ts within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2019, 01:25 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Some College Football Defense Do's & Don'ts

Thanks for all these. I am playing defense with the 3-3-5 and liking it so far. I think I have auto strafe turned on in controls. The thing is I don't know what beats what until some were listed above. If I see 4 WR, I play cover 4 in my 3-3-5. If I see 3 WR, I play cover 3 sink, etc. I do change it up a lot. What I really hate is having my opponent in 3rd and 8-16 yards and they get the first down. How do you put players in a blue zone? Or is it purple zones?

Last edited by Collegefbfan; 01-05-2019 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:32 AM   #10
Pro

Stick is hard to stop. There are a couple of approaches you can take. One is to get pressure. If they're gonna beat you anyway, at least try and take it away.

Another is cover 2 with a flat and buzz zone. But, often the slant is open and if it's covered, there's no pressure so one of the out routes will start running down field. Since I user the MLB, I try to bait the QB to throw to the TE. It doesn't always work, but I think it's the least damaging option outside of the RB checkdown.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:28 AM   #11
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegefbfan
Thanks for all these. I am playing defense with the 3-3-5 and liking it so far. I think I have auto strafe turned on in controls. The thing is I don't know what beats what until some were listed above. If I see 4 WR, I play cover 4 in my 3-3-5. If I see 3 WR, I play cover 3 sink, etc. I do change it up a lot. What I really hate is having my opponent in 3rd and 8-16 yards and they get the first down. How do you put players in a blue zone? Or is it purple zones?

I’d recommend changing it up. 3 WR should not automatically go to cover 3 and 4 should not automatically be cover 4. To some extent, the cpu does adapt. So if you keep running the same defense the cpu will start to pick it apart.

So try some other coverages, cover 6 is good. Even just changing up what type of cover 3 helps. Do some blitzes and try out things

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Major Boise State fan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2019, 12:48 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
DO

DON'T

-Don't let your safety line up on a man across the field from him or against a receiver in man coverage. Keep them on TE or RB's, and make sure they're not trying to cover from across formation (for example, your FS assigned to a man on the SS side of the field). If you're in this situation, either flip the play or audible to zone coverage

I hate this. NCAA 10 had an option for defense to match up. Unless I have just completely missed it, no way to automatically do it. When I started playing this is what killed me the most because its a guaranteed completion. Same with a LB on one side covering the TE on the other, if its an out or corner route, easy completion against you.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:46 PM   #13
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWCoog24
I hate this. NCAA 10 had an option for defense to match up. Unless I have just completely missed it, no way to automatically do it. When I started playing this is what killed me the most because its a guaranteed completion. Same with a LB on one side covering the TE on the other, if its an out or corner route, easy completion against you.

Yeah, man-align adjustment used to make them either switch or line up right on the guy. Now I think it’s base-align or something, but it literally makes it so the defenders don’t move. It became a pointless adjustment

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Major Boise State fan
Old 01-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #14
Pro

I keep hearing base align on YouTube. How do you do it on PS3?
Old 01-05-2019, 09:02 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegefbfan
I run the 3-3-5 and rarely use Cover 3 or Cover 4. It’s insanely easy to beat those coverages with shallow crosses and slants. I mix it up with Man and Cover 2 with blitz’ heavily sprinkled in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
DO

-Against option teams like Army, Navy and GT, don't be afraid to blitz the safeties. It helps load the box against the run

I'd like to expand on this. When going against a triple option team, you want to play man coverage with either a LB as a QB spy or one or more safeties in zone. You should control the man playing zone to take the QB. When a CPU controlled defender takes the QB, adjust your guy to defend the pitch the CPU abandoned.

The game passes too much for triple option teams, but not enough to where you need to be concerned about not having deep help for weak corners.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »