Home

The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not It’s Time to Bring NCAA Football Back

This is a discussion on The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not It’s Time to Bring NCAA Football Back within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-17-2019, 08:29 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not It’s Time to Bring NCAA Football Back

I say it's time to bring back college football and basketball and find a way to compensate the players.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:28 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: The NCAA is Investigating Whether or Not It’s Time to Bring NCAA Football Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Thats why I think NCAA will find a way. There is too much outside pressure for them not to doing anything. When you see lawmakers trying to pass a bill about the issue, there was no avoiding it. So for NCAA to start talking about it and having until October(5 months) make a decision is encouraging.

But I agree it doesn't guarantee a new game. There is still a big process for them to go through before they could even get the green light
Ideally the NCAA would work with the game industry to provide a structure for the payments when they decide it will be allowed. Something where the conferences sign on and schools and athletes sign also. If that happens and the price is reasonable then I see a new game. Each game company having to negotiate a deal on their own would be chaos.

Unfortunately I don't have much faith in the NCAA but maybe they will surprise me.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by testorz
I say it's time to bring back college football and basketball and find a way to compensate the players.
I don't see College Basketball coming back anytime. Especially from EA. Until they can get Live to a solid level, I don't want them attempting a college basketball game.
I think EA or 2k is the only legitimate options. I don't feel College sports are marketable enough for other gaming companys to have create and develop on a engine from scratch. Whereas EA and 2k could use revenue from their flagships to develop games and don't have to build games from scratch
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Ideally the NCAA would work with the game industry to provide a structure for the payments when they decide it will be allowed. Something where the conferences sign on and schools and athletes sign also. If that happens and the price is reasonable then I see a new game. Each game company having to negotiate a deal on their own would be chaos.

Unfortunately I don't have much faith in the NCAA but maybe they will surprise me.
Thats only how I see think it will work. I'm sure NCAA will want to have more control this time around to avoid issues. They would have to find a way to get player likeness in a resourceful way. You pretty much have to get a good chunk(75-80%) of players to sign away their likeness or go generic. EA would have to get NCAAs help with that. I know EA use to go to as many schools as possible to get likenesses of stadium and atmosphere, but it will be way too challenging to go to every individual school and get the likeness of every player.

EA wants to make a new game, but it is all up to the NCAA to get on board. NCAA is going to be the deciding factor if we are getting a new game
Old 05-17-2019, 08:37 PM   #37
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Thats only how I see think it will work. I'm sure NCAA will want to have more control this time around to avoid issues. They would have to find a way to get player likeness in a resourceful way. You pretty much have to get a good chunk(75-80%) of players to sign away their likeness or go generic. EA would have to get NCAAs help with that. I know EA use to go to as many schools as possible to get likenesses of stadium and atmosphere, but it will be way too challenging to go to every individual school and get the likeness of every player.

EA wants to make a new game, but it is all up to the NCAA to get on board. NCAA is going to be the deciding factor if we are getting a new game
I agree with this. I think this step is about legally corralling the likeness issues. Now whether players are compensated with money or scholarships or however they do it, this is the first step. In a perfect world the NCAA would adopt the Olympic Model and be done with it. I imagine there will be a way for student athletes to opt out if they choose to. It might just be me, but the language around the parameters, particularly the part about connecting it to education, is confusing to me. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the proposals later this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-17-2019, 10:18 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
I agree with this. I think this step is about legally corralling the likeness issues. Now whether players are compensated with money or scholarships or however they do it, this is the first step. In a perfect world the NCAA would adopt the Olympic Model and be done with it. I imagine there will be a way for student athletes to opt out if they choose to. It might just be me, but the language around the parameters, particularly the part about connecting it to education, is confusing to me. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the proposals later this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
I have optimism that something comes from this. Not necessarily a new game, but as far player likeness. This is not where in the past few years we hear about a trial/court situation that could lead to change. This the NCAA talking about this is putting a group together to find a way. There is too much outside pressure for them to keep avoiding. The whole "tethering to education" is confusing. I get the whole no "pay to play", but impossible to abolish that. So imploying the Olympic model would help.

But they would really need to find a way to compensate players. Its not like NFL where they can pay the players union. It will be too expensive and too many resources needed to pay every player. They don't need to be scanned or even pictures needed for rosters. I would be content with just names.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:09 AM   #39
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Here is a an interesting more detailed read than the ESPN article.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...on/2887122002/

This part here is really interesting and I think sums up where we are:

"At the same time, however, her 104-page ruling prevents athletes from receiving unlimited benefits, as the plaintiffs had hoped.

The NCAA "may continue ... to limit compensation and benefits that are unrelated to education," Wilken ruled.

She also said that the association may adopt a definition of compensation and benefits that are “related to education.

The NCAA Division I Manual shows the current limits on the value of these kinds of awards, but added together, they could provide athletes the opportunity to receive several thousand dollars worth of academically related awards.
Wilken wrote that the changes to the NCAA's current system will take effect in 90 days, but will be stayed if either side appeals."

Last edited by Junior Moe; 05-18-2019 at 08:13 AM. Reason: info
Old 05-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #40
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

After reading the USA Today article, I actually like some of the education benefits like grad school and money in scholarships. They could get the extra scholarship money back in refunds, right? It's disproportionate compensation for collegiate rock stars like Tebow, Zion or Kyler Murray, but for the other 98% of student athletes in the revenue generating sports, it's not bad.

Bringing this back to videogames. I'm hoping that in essence, this essentially means that the schools and NCAA could use the players images and likeness in stuff like games and jerseys. In exchange, the players get these extra benefits. I don't think it's enough, but it is better IMO. It's a ways off and who knows how it will ultimately play out but like I said before, I can see the parameters of how we could see NCAA games again. Fingers crossed!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »