Home

Sim Engine vs. Spectator Mode

This is a discussion on Sim Engine vs. Spectator Mode within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-11-2020, 05:53 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Sim Engine vs. Spectator Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
Did you do Spectator Mode amd see how tye game played out on the field? If so what were the stats? I don't think i've ever gone that low in Accuracy.
All I play is coach mode.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:37 AM   #10
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
The key Rating with regards to QB...and every other position is AWARENESS! Awareness affects player ratings in a sense that it determines whether or not a player will "play up" to his ratings. For example, if you have a CB that has 89 Man Coverage Rating and 93 Zone Coverage rating...but 55 Awareness, he will not play up to those ratings. On the flipside, if you have a CB that has 71 Man Coverage and Zone 73 Zone coverage but has 95 Awareness will play up to that 71 and 73 the majority of the time. You get what I'm saying?
Interesting. It sounds like typical EA "Over Programming" that consistently provides wacky results. Grrr. If a CB has 93 Zone Coverage....then awareness should be baked into that number. It would be interesting to know what EA's strategy was when programming it that way?....I would guess as a band-aid to some other issue.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
Interesting. It sounds like typical EA "Over Programming" that consistently provides wacky results. Grrr. If a CB has 93 Zone Coverage....then awareness should be baked into that number. It would be interesting to know what EA's strategy was when programming it that way?....I would guess as a band-aid to some other issue.

The issue I have with your opinion is that if every rating has awareness "baked into" it, then the awareness rating is irrelevant. My interpretation of the awareness rating is that it is the player's ability to consistently perform the task. For example, a 93 zone rated corner with 75 awareness means the corner could occasionally achieve a 93 playability in zone, but will likely perform as if his rating is in the low to mid 80's (while making some bonehead plays like he's a 78). This would mean a CB with 88 zone and 95 awareness will be consistently better in zone coverage, but the 93 / 75 will be able to make plays the 88 / 95 cannot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2020, 02:04 PM   #12
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Since there are several categories for pure physical ability (Speed, Agility, Strength, etc), my interpretation of the Zone & Man categories is that they ARE awareness in those defenses which accounts for the consistency you mention. Adding the overall awareness seems like an unnecessary layer of complexity.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:26 AM   #13
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrane
The issue I have with your opinion is that if every rating has awareness "baked into" it, then the awareness rating is irrelevant. My interpretation of the awareness rating is that it is the player's ability to consistently perform the task. For example, a 93 zone rated corner with 75 awareness means the corner could occasionally achieve a 93 playability in zone, but will likely perform as if his rating is in the low to mid 80's (while making some bonehead plays like he's a 78). This would mean a CB with 88 zone and 95 awareness will be consistently better in zone coverage, but the 93 / 75 will be able to make plays the 88 / 95 cannot.
You got it! The crazy thing is the effect it has on the QB position as it pertains to pass rush with the pocket collapsing, how long the QB will hold on to the ball or take off. If you lower the QB's Awareness rating, the pocket collapses a whole lot quicker. It's like the DL/OL engage each other quicker, like the animations play out faster for a lack of a better way to describe it. It's awesome when playing in Spectator Mode because it's more organic and QB's still get there numbers. You see errant throws, the QB scrambling around and taking off etc. and sacks all without having to make slider adjustments. The downside of course is if you Sim...if you Sim games the QB stats are horrible. So, I wouldn't recommend lowering QB Awareness globally unless you are prepared to watch all the games lol.

But, what you said was absolutely correct. The higher the Awareness of the player, the more consistently the player plays up to his position specific ratings. The lower the Awareness, the more inconsistent he is. When you think about it, it's actually a great way to differentiate great players from mediocre. I no longer adjust my Depth Charts based on Overalls but based on Awareness. I also put more emphasis on Awareness when it comes to recruiting. All things being equal, if I have to make a choice between two players, I'll choose the one with better awareness over the guy with better speed. Keep this important factor in mind though...AWARENESS doesn't matter when the user is controlling the player. It's all about stick skill. That's why I play Coach/Spectator Mode.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:02 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
You got it! The crazy thing is the effect it has on the QB position as it pertains to pass rush with the pocket collapsing, how long the QB will hold on to the ball or take off. If you lower the QB's Awareness rating, the pocket collapses a whole lot quicker. It's like the DL/OL engage each other quicker, like the animations play out faster for a lack of a better way to describe it. It's awesome when playing in Spectator Mode because it's more organic and QB's still get there numbers. You see errant throws, the QB scrambling around and taking off etc. and sacks all without having to make slider adjustments. The downside of course is if you Sim...if you Sim games the QB stats are horrible. So, I wouldn't recommend lowering QB Awareness globally unless you are prepared to watch all the games lol.

But, what you said was absolutely correct. The higher the Awareness of the player, the more consistently the player plays up to his position specific ratings. The lower the Awareness, the more inconsistent he is. When you think about it, it's actually a great way to differentiate great players from mediocre. I no longer adjust my Depth Charts based on Overalls but based on Awareness. I also put more emphasis on Awareness when it comes to recruiting. All things being equal, if I have to make a choice between two players, I'll choose the one with better awareness over the guy with better speed. Keep this important factor in mind though...AWARENESS doesn't matter when the user is controlling the player. It's all about stick skill. That's why I play Coach/Spectator Mode.

i’ve enjoyed every idea presented in this thread cause they all tie in to Awareness being the holy grail of most positions.

A couple quick questions as it pertains to awareness:
1. is there a way to see a recruit’s awareness while scouting him?
2. how does awareness effect the impact blocking attribute in specific?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »