Home

California votes for student athletes to be paid for their likeness

This is a discussion on California votes for student athletes to be paid for their likeness within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 03:32 AM   #1
Rookie

Lowebo's Arena

OVR: 3
California votes for student athletes to be paid for their likeness

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...e-and-likeness

Huge.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2019, 07:54 AM   #2
MVP

cowboy_kmoney's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: California votes for student athletes to be paid for their likeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowebo
It's on its way back..🤯
Old 09-12-2019, 08:33 AM   #3
Rookie

Lowebo's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_kmoney
It's on its way back..��
I genuinely believe NCAA '22 will happen.

Last edited by Lowebo; 09-13-2019 at 03:51 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

I don't think that this guarentees something in the immediate future. We are still waiting for the Working Group's findings next month. That is most likely just a suggestion. Then NCAA has to accept what the working group has suggested then make it into a rule. Those things take time. Who knows what obstacles may come up. Unless the rule immediately comes into affect by next season, I don't think EA can do anything. NCAA won't likely put it in place for a season or two. I think EA would have to reaquire the NCAA license(and Im sure NCAA would want a lot more input this time around) then have to wait until the rule goes in affect before they can start developing.
No way will we see a NCAA 21, it would pretty much already have to be in development. I think the earliest would be NCAA 22 and thats only if rule goes in effect next season. I do believe EA wants to make NCAA games again, but has to wait on NCAA
Old 09-12-2019, 09:53 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 0

They were talking about this bill on the radio here locally this week. As of right now the bill is slated to go into effect in 2023 if the governor of California signs off on it, which most expect him too. Some legislators in California have stated that they want to position this bill/law as a potential recruiting advantage for student athletes - meaning if you go to a CA school you can get endorsement deals (more or less). They were also talking how other states are already talking about putting together similar legislation. Being from Ohio, I am quite sure there would be ample political pressure to do something similar if Ohio State thought it would lose out on a substantial recruiting advantage to teams in California. Schools like Texas, Florida, Clemson, Alabama, etc. I am sure would feel similar and begin lobbying state legislators in their respective states.

The NCAA can dig their heels in all they want, but I think this is starting to gain the steam that it needs and we are close to the point of no turning back.

The NCAA has talked tough by saying that any CA school that were to allow players to market their likeness would be banned from post season play. But I think we all know if USC were to be undefeated and on pace to play in the college football playoff, or if UCLA were to be ready to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament, there is no way the NCAA would back up their tough talk. And if they did, they'd be writing their own death warrant as I think that would be the catalyst to convince all of these schools in power 5 conferences to breakaway from the NCAA and do their own thing.

I'd be shocked if we have a new NCAA football game next year, but I wouldn't be shocked if we have one in the next five years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpklub

I'd be shocked if we have a new NCAA football game next year, but I wouldn't be shocked if we have one in the next five years.
Even 2 years seems like a stretch. But in 3-5 years, I could see a new game. It is all about delay for NCAA. I don't development needs more than a standard year of development. They can use work off of Madden engines and what they had in NCAA 14. They just need to recreate college specific schemes and expand on game modes. I would expect developers like Haumiller to go back to NCAA.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:40 AM   #7
Rookie

ndfan1993's Arena

OVR: 2

This is a terrible idea and lawyers will be all over this. I don't think either side (players/schools vs. NCAA) want to deal with the mess that this will create.

Think about this for a second: You will literally have fans crowd funding 16 year olds.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:27 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfan1993
This is a terrible idea and lawyers will be all over this. I don't think either side (players/schools vs. NCAA) want to deal with the mess that this will create.

Think about this for a second: You will literally have fans crowd funding 16 year olds.
I think this is the extreme viewpoint. If the NCAA were smart they would position themselves to be a governing body of sorts to make sure that endorsement deals being offered to student athletes were legit. People/organizations that wanted to offer endorsements would have to go through some type of vetting process to make sure they were legit businesses and not just some shadow shell organization that would be the equivalent to a booster handing someone a dufflebag of cash today (which we all know does happen in some cases).

I also don't think it is the intention of the CA state legislature to create a system where anyone can create a gofundme to allow boosters to pay for the best recruits. I think most people believe this would have to have checks and balances around who could offer endorsements and how they would be "approved" to ensure they are legit businesses. Simply put - the state governments (and the US Federal government) won't create a system that just allows what is going on in college basketball right now with the fraud cases. There will be checks and balances.

That doesn't mean that every corrupt company/booster will be vetted out, but that doesn't even happen today.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »