Home

Could this open the door for another 2k football game?

This is a discussion on Could this open the door for another 2k football game? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #9
MVP

UtahUtes32's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Could this open the door for another 2k football game?

2k is better, and I buy Madden EVERY year, since 2004
Old 11-02-2019, 02:35 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Thumbs down Re: Could this open the door for another 2k football game?

In a perfect world, we would wish for improved APF 2k8 gameplay engine and CHoops 2k8 dynasty depth. But, I just don't see 2k develop a new football engine if it isn't for NFL, not even XFL. NFL ain't dropping their exclusive licensing preference and Madden is still regularly selling well.
One thing that is interesting is the ESPN deal. If I'm correct, the 15 year deal EA signed with ESPN should expire after next year. EA can't use ESPN branding in Madden due to exclusive license, NBA Live series in flux, and I don't think Fifa, NHL, and UFC uses ESPN broadcast. So does EA try to resign for a exclusive license with ESPN even though they won't use it much(unless Live continues)?. I could 2k wanting to get ESPN license back and actually using it in games.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:08 PM   #11
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

I think the ESPN deal is more than just the option to use branding in games, and still has value to EA.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
I think the ESPN deal is more than just the option to use branding in games, and still has value to EA.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I definitely can see them wanting to renew their deal. The advertising they get from ESPN does wonder for sales. I just would like to the exclusive licenses to dwindle now
Old 11-03-2019, 07:12 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 3

Isn't it funny how bad the 2K college football games always were?
I am building a website that will host classic sport gaming rosters from years past. We have lost many great rosters for good over the past several years due to expired links. If your interested in contributing, please PM me and let the work live on forever!
Old 11-03-2019, 07:46 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture Rot
Isn't it funny how bad the 2K college football games always were?
I remember a phase 10 or so years ago where I bought a lot of old college PS2 games. I didn't care for 2k CFB. I think it is that people just want a non-EA football game. The allure of 2k5/ApG, CHoops. 2k8, and NBA 2k Association mode has most thinking 2k can make a great college football game.

I'm not doubting they could make a quality CFB game. Its just that they went out of Football and Collrge game the same.year 12 years ago. 2k put all their eggs in the NBA 2k basket, besides WWE being trash. I can see them bringing back CHoops. But even then, NBA 2k has been their moneymaker. Don't know if they want to take resources from there
Old 11-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I remember a phase 10 or so years ago where I bought a lot of old college PS2 games. I didn't care for 2k CFB. I think it is that people just want a non-EA football game. The allure of 2k5/ApG, CHoops. 2k8, and NBA 2k Association mode has most thinking 2k can make a great college football game.

I'm not doubting they could make a quality CFB game. Its just that they went out of Football and Collrge game the same.year 12 years ago. 2k put all their eggs in the NBA 2k basket, besides WWE being trash. I can see them bringing back CHoops. But even then, NBA 2k has been their moneymaker. Don't know if they want to take resources from there

2k college football was trash but they got out of that very early and never really committed to it. They based it off of the previous years nfl 2k engine, and those early nfl 2k games had a lot of issues. Good games but they didn’t fully hit their stride till 2k4. If they had kept at it pretty sure they could have released a great college game.

Interesting decision if it comes down to making either college football or hoops but not both. Hoops would be easier in a lot of ways being able to take a lot of stuff from nba 2k and they also have the brand name credibility there and probably no competition. Football most likely a bigger market for it but they’d have to start from scratch and most likely have to compete with EA again, at least at some point, and that didn’t go well last time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
2k college football was trash but they got out of that very early and never really committed to it. They based it off of the previous years nfl 2k engine, and those early nfl 2k games had a lot of issues. Good games but they didn’t fully hit their stride till 2k4. If they had kept at it pretty sure they could have released a great college game.

Interesting decision if it comes down to making either college football or hoops but not both. Hoops would be easier in a lot of ways being able to take a lot of stuff from nba 2k and they also have the brand name credibility there and probably no competition. Football most likely a bigger market for it but they’d have to start from scratch and most likely have to compete with EA again, at least at some point, and that didn’t go well last time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I don't see both coming back. It's one or the other. CHoops is easier because the assets are there, but CBB isn't a huge seller. CFB has bigger market, but would have to start from scratch. Then add in license & development cost. Then add in competition from EA. Not sure if 2k just doesnt stay complacent with NBA 2k

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »