Home

Help Me Seed My 8 Team Playoff

This is a discussion on Help Me Seed My 8 Team Playoff within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-11-2019, 03:27 PM   #9
Pro

NolesFanatic17's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Help Me Seed My 8 Team Playoff

I’d leave out Team 9. That Blowout Loss by 40 (albeit to #1) would be the nail in the coffin for me. Can’t leave out a unbeaten and the team team 9 is in Direct competition with in team 8 didn’t get blown out by 40 by a team they have in common

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 11-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #10
Rookie

Ok.

So teams are as follows

Team 1. Ohio State (12-0) B1G
Team 2. Texas A&M (12-0) BIGXII
Team 3. South Carolina (11-1) SEC
Team 4. Texas (11-1) BIGXII
Team 5. Louisiana (12-0) Sunbelt
Team 6. Nebraska (10-2) B1G
Team 7. USC (10-2) PAC12
Team 8. Mich St (10-2) B1G
Team 9. Michigan (10-2) B1G

I decided to give Louisiana the boot because I discovered that every single win they had, was against a team ranked below 60, except for beating 7-5 Boise State. They literally didn’t even have a team on their schedule with more than 7 wins. They beat a few 7-5 Sunbelt teams, but I found out that none of those 7-5 teams even cracked the top 60. The rest of their schedule were 4-8 teams, and even an 0-12 team.

It proved to be the right choice because Louisiana got beat by Oregon State in their Bowl game and finished the year 12-1.

I SEEDED THE PLAYOFF AS FOLLOWS

I seeded Michigan and Mich St above USC because they’re resumes were basically identical and USC had two bad losses. But clearly, USC is a good football team. I also didn’t want a rematch in the playoff. Seemed stupid to have Ohio State play Michigan again when they already played them.

1. Ohio State (12-0) vs 8. USC (10-2)
2. Texas A&M (12-0) vs 7. Michigan (10-2)
3. South Carolina (11-1) vs 6. Mich St (10-2)
4. Texas (11-1) vs 5. Nebraska (10-2)

Ohio State narrowly beat USC by 3 points, USC had the lead late but Ohio State scored a game winning touchdown... USC deserved to be in the playoff.

Texas A&M beat Michigan by two touchdowns.

Mich St defeated South Carolina in a defensive battle.

Texas squeaked by Nebraska in a close finish.

THE FINAL FOUR
1. Ohio State (13-0) vs 4. Texas (12-1)
2. Texas A&M (13-0) vs 6. Mich St (11-2)

Ohio State beats Texas by 20.

Texas A&M beats Mich St by a touchdown.

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP
1. Ohio State (14-0) vs 2. Texas A&M (14-0)

Ohio State defeats Texas A&M by over 30 points.

So, looking back. The question should have been between Michigan or Louisiana. USC proved to be a quality team by literally almost beating Ohio State. Michigan State advanced to the Final Four and put up a good fight. The knock on Michigan was the 40 point loss to Ohio State. But Ohio State went on to beat the #2 team Texas A&M by over 30 in the National Championship. So how could you hold it against Michigan? While Louisiana got beat by Oregon State. I don’t think Louisiana would have fared any better against a playoff team than Michigan. In the end, I think I made the right choice.

Disclaimer. I’m also not pleased with “conference domination” by any means. I don’t like the fact that the B1G supplemented 4 teams into this years playoff. Also the ACC was left out because their best team was Georgia Tech (10-2). The difference was Georgia Tech had 2 decent losses, but only 1 top 25 win. Michigan and Mich St both had marque non conference ranked wins against Notre Dame and Oregon respectfully. Florida was another contender at 10-2 very similarly to GT. They lost 2 decent games but only had 1 top 25 win. Just sucks to see because I would have loved to have put Georgia Tech or Florida in at 11-1, but they both lost late in their annual in state rivalry games. They just didn’t have those key ranked wins to overcome their 2 losses, that was the difference between them vs USC, Michigan, and Mich St.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by DonJonpin; 11-11-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJonpin
I did some more digging...

Team 5’s best win is actually only against the 40th ranked team at 7-5. The rest of their wins are teams ranked under 60. Is there a possibility we could leave out a 12-0 Team 5? Their strength of record is very weak.

OK, I peeked at your reveal and #5 is Louisiana. The Sun Belt and MAC are considered the two weakest conferences in FBS. I tend to follow the way the polls work in real life (not EA's) when evaluating playoff teams.

12-0 Sun Belt / MAC is roughly equal to:
  • 11-1 C-USA / AAC / MWC
  • 10-2 P5
In EA's version, a 12-0 team is always ranked higher than an 11-1 team even if the 12-0 team played 12 FCS while 11-1 played a "murderer's row" type schedule. I agree with your decision to leave Louisiana out.

I had a dynasty where I took the ECU head coaching job after being the OC for Illinois. I had several undefeated seasons and only put myself in the playoff as the #4 seed (EA ranked me #1) in a season where several P5 champions had two or three losses.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #12
MVP

I still think Louisiana was a more deserving choice, but I obviously don't hold it against you and I appreciate your reasoning. What I want to ask: how come no one played 13 games? What happened to the conference championships?
Old 11-12-2019, 07:16 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofx94
I still think Louisiana was a more deserving choice, but I obviously don't hold it against you and I appreciate your reasoning. What I want to ask: how come no one played 13 games? What happened to the conference championships?

It’s always intrigued me to be able to adjust conferences and such in this game. I actually just found out that if all 10 conferences have 11 teams. With 26 independents. Each conference plays 8 conference games with 4 non conference games... its actually quite amazing and I was blown away when I discovered it at how it balances college football and makes resumes and records much more balanced and meaningful. So I also like not having conference championship games because in NCAA 14 for some weird *** reason. Let’s say an 8-4 #20 ranked Florida loses to #1 12-0 Alabama in conference championship week. Because no other teams are playing it’s always bugged me that they would drop all the way down to damn #45 at 8-5... really EA???

So on top of that I play a 8 team playoff and I’d rather have a team play 15 games than 16

Also note! The cool thing about moving some P5 teams to independent. I usually move the ****iest ones to start. EG Indiana our of the B1G started off my Dynasty as independent along with Kentucky out of SEC. the cool thing is, if a team as an Indy has a good year and finishes in the top 25. I just moved Indiana back to the B1G in exchange for the weakest one Minnesota. Having 11 teams per conference with all the independents actually works as its own relegation system where you can swap some out for the worst team currently in the P5 conference. I also did it with Colorado because they finished #15 and kicked Washington St to Indy for the time being. Just fun to be able to see the teams kind of fight their way back into the conference and get that security blanket back

Last edited by DonJonpin; 11-12-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:29 PM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrane
OK, I peeked at your reveal and #5 is Louisiana. The Sun Belt and MAC are considered the two weakest conferences in FBS. I tend to follow the way the polls work in real life (not EA's) when evaluating playoff teams.

12-0 Sun Belt / MAC is roughly equal to:
  • 11-1 C-USA / AAC / MWC
  • 10-2 P5
In EA's version, a 12-0 team is always ranked higher than an 11-1 team even if the 12-0 team played 12 FCS while 11-1 played a "murderer's row" type schedule. I agree with your decision to leave Louisiana out.

I had a dynasty where I took the ECU head coaching job after being the OC for Illinois. I had several undefeated seasons and only put myself in the playoff as the #4 seed (EA ranked me #1) in a season where several P5 champions had two or three losses.

Exactly!!. I agree on everything but I still bunch CUSA with Mid Majors Sunbelt and MAC. Except my order would be this.

12-0 P5
11-1 P5
12-0 AAC or MWC
10-2 P5
11-1 AAC or MWC
12-0 MM
9-3 P5
10-2 AAC or MWC
11-1 MM
8-4 P5
9-3 AAC or MWC
10-2 MM
7-5 P5
8-4 AAC or MWC
9-3 MM
And so on.

Last edited by DonJonpin; 11-12-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:49 PM   #15
MVP

That's an interesting way to do relegation. I like it.

I'd be a bit bothered by non-round-robin conference schedules (8 out of 10 possible opponents) without conference championships but I like some of what you have going on.

I definitely get why you put the MWC and AAC in a different category than CUSA/MAC/SBC.

Last edited by nofx94; 11-12-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2019, 11:37 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofx94
That's an interesting way to do relegation. I like it.

I'd be a bit bothered by non-round-robin conference schedules (8 out of 10 possible opponents) without conference championships but I like some of what you have going on.

I definitely get why you put the MWC and AAC in a different category than CUSA/MAC/SBC.

Funny the whole “not playing everyone in your conference” thing bothered me at first. But then fast forward a year or two in and all of a sudden I noticed Texas and Texas A&M both finished very high in the rankings. Then I check their resumes and see they actually didn’t play each other in conference play and I was down with it. Thought it was cool to see certain teams even rivals go a year without running into the other elite team and watch how they succeed with the better schedule... started adding more value to an Alabama/LSU game or a Ohio State/Penn State game during the regular season because you may not get it next year

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »