Home

Help with running from I Form playing Heisman, RBK 5, RBA 20-30 and CPU Run D at 30-4

This is a discussion on Help with running from I Form playing Heisman, RBK 5, RBA 20-30 and CPU Run D at 30-4 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-18-2020, 10:20 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Help with running from I Form playing Heisman, RBK 5, RBA 20-30 and CPU Run D at 30-4

Looking to make an I Form heavy book for running on the above sliders/abilities and don't want to overload on runs. I'm looking for what runs seem to be the most effective out of the I. Clearly RB and Line have an impact as well as D, but in a perfect wold what runs seem to be the best? Counter and Power are going to be in for sure, but how good is off tackle, stretch and toss(hear toss never works). What about dive, iso, blast, hb lead, slam, and gut? I'm sure i don't need all of these so which work the smoothest? Also FB dive would have to go in and not sure draws work or not out of the I. Thank you for the suggestions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Help with running from I Form playing Heisman, RBK 5, RBA 20-30 and CPU Run D at

I used to always run pro-style offenses because that is all Miami has ever ran. I also used to run, run, run, and mostly only pass when needed. Toss plays work around the goal line or whenever you can get the D bunched up. When you try and run them traditionally, they are a bit more boom or bust than in real life. Same thing with jet sweeps in this game.

Dive plays are going to be your most successful run, but mostly because those are one of the broken run plays in the game. I personally do not have a single dive play in any of my playbooks because they are practically a guaranteed 5 yards at minimum the way the blocking works on them. The same thing is true with offset dives out of the gun. A lot of offset formations are OP with their running plays because they trigger the OL to get a stupid amount of push for some reason.

Stretches and powers were always some of my favorite plays to run and still are in my new dynasty where I am a gun/pistol only team. Stretches are easy because you basically have one read and that tells you to cut up or stay outside. Follow that read and you're likely going to not get tackled for a loss if your players aren't terrible. Powers are fun if your guards/FB can make the right blocks. It's beautiful to watch a LB get picked up and you can weave through traffic for a nice gain. It's very irritating when you see your FB and guard both avoid the LBs and you're hit for a loss.

Draw plays are tough in this game. They aren't played properly by the OL or DL so they can be losses more often than not, and when they work they are generally only for 3 or 4 yards half the time instead of being the bigger gains you see in real life when they work properly. With you playing on the RBA you are, which is what I generally play on, I would have a couple draws in there, but run them in practice with your team so you can see what I am talking about with their higher risk, lower reward type of outcomes.

FB dive is another one I don't allow myself to run. It's impossible to not gain yards with it. The handoff and blocking is too fast and strong for the defense to stop the play unless they get the lucky blitz that gets a defender in untouched. Of course, though, FB dives are actually really effective in real life still because they are so quick and defenses don't see them as often.

The rest of the runs will work and can work well if you get the proper OL. but I just wanted to touch on those plays mentioned above. You may have a different experience with the dive plays than I, but I outright ban them from my playbooks out of all formations anymore because I could literally run dives every single play of every game no matter the sliders and average 5 yards a carry and win 35-10 without ever punting and just draining the clock.

― Plato
Old 01-18-2020, 12:20 PM   #3
Banned

Re: Help with running from I Form playing Heisman, RBK 5, RBA 20-30 and CPU Run D at

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I used to always run pro-style offenses because that is all Miami has ever ran. I also used to run, run, run, and mostly only pass when needed. Toss plays work around the goal line or whenever you can get the D bunched up. When you try and run them traditionally, they are a bit more boom or bust than in real life. Same thing with jet sweeps in this game.

Dive plays are going to be your most successful run, but mostly because those are one of the broken run plays in the game. I personally do not have a single dive play in any of my playbooks because they are practically a guaranteed 5 yards at minimum the way the blocking works on them. The same thing is true with offset dives out of the gun. A lot of offset formations are OP with their running plays because they trigger the OL to get a stupid amount of push for some reason.

Stretches and powers were always some of my favorite plays to run and still are in my new dynasty where I am a gun/pistol only team. Stretches are easy because you basically have one read and that tells you to cut up or stay outside. Follow that read and you're likely going to not get tackled for a loss if your players aren't terrible. Powers are fun if your guards/FB can make the right blocks. It's beautiful to watch a LB get picked up and you can weave through traffic for a nice gain. It's very irritating when you see your FB and guard both avoid the LBs and you're hit for a loss.

Draw plays are tough in this game. They aren't played properly by the OL or DL so they can be losses more often than not, and when they work they are generally only for 3 or 4 yards half the time instead of being the bigger gains you see in real life when they work properly. With you playing on the RBA you are, which is what I generally play on, I would have a couple draws in there, but run them in practice with your team so you can see what I am talking about with their higher risk, lower reward type of outcomes.

FB dive is another one I don't allow myself to run. It's impossible to not gain yards with it. The handoff and blocking is too fast and strong for the defense to stop the play unless they get the lucky blitz that gets a defender in untouched. Of course, though, FB dives are actually really effective in real life still because they are so quick and defenses don't see them as often.

The rest of the runs will work and can work well if you get the proper OL. but I just wanted to touch on those plays mentioned above. You may have a different experience with the dive plays than I, but I outright ban them from my playbooks out of all formations anymore because I could literally run dives every single play of every game no matter the sliders and average 5 yards a carry and win 35-10 without ever punting and just draining the clock.
Appriciate this. I just wanted to reduce some of the redundant runs i take. For example with Dive, Slam, Gut, Iso and Wham all hitting the A gap on first glance, surly i don't need them all in a single formation. My first though was take Power, Counter, Dive and Iso and those runs alone could get my to the outside and run up the gut with decent variety and not clog up my book. Just to put it out ther i made a Pistol book with heavy sets and ran HB Power, Power O and Strong power runs ONLY for a whole season with Jonathan Taylor at Wisconsin and loved it to death. It was just smash you and toss PA to the TEs when i wanted chunk plays.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:33 PM   #4
Rookie

I don't really know if there's much of anything different about a lot of those inside runs you mentioned, but I always seem to fill up my playbook with them too. My intention is to somehow figure out which ones work and which ones don't while keeping the cpu from knowing what exactly I'm doing. But instead I just end up with a playbook too clogged up with really similar stuff that I never end up using, and then I take a penalty wasting time sifting through it all trying to find one of the plays I actually use.

One running play that I love, that I didn't see mentioned is HB zone. A couple of ace formations have it, and I think one of the I-formations have it. Your linemen seem to block differently for zone plays and it's just fun following your blocks. You can run it a lot and it's like you're running a different play each time, because it's like you are reacting to the defense instead of just running right at a particular spot and hoping it works out.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:56 PM   #5
Rookie

OBinKC's Arena

The most fun I’ve had in the I form running game is when I have an outside zone (stretch or off tackle), inside zone (HB slam), dive (Iso), and a counter play. I also include a triple option, FB Dive, toss, and HB Pass toss for change ups.

My bread and butter is the Stretch because it works pretty well in this game. Especially with a speedy running back. Play the numbers game. If you have the advantage on the right side, run as is. If it’s on the left side, motion the TE to the other side and playmaker left. Your RBA slider setting might nerf this a bit, so definitely make sure you have the numbers.

Then I mix in the dives and inside zones. Run inside zones and counters to the 1 tech (the DT on the inside shoulder of the guard). Run dives to the 3 tech (the DT on the outside shoulder of the guard).

Once you get some good runs going, mix in play action passes. They work best when you’re gouging them on the ground.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2020, 07:32 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBinKC
The most fun I’ve had in the I form running game is when I have an outside zone (stretch or off tackle), inside zone (HB slam), dive (Iso), and a counter play. I also include a triple option, FB Dive, toss, and HB Pass toss for change ups.

My bread and butter is the Stretch because it works pretty well in this game. Especially with a speedy running back. Play the numbers game. If you have the advantage on the right side, run as is. If it’s on the left side, motion the TE to the other side and playmaker left. Your RBA slider setting might nerf this a bit, so definitely make sure you have the numbers.

Then I mix in the dives and inside zones. Run inside zones and counters to the 1 tech (the DT on the inside shoulder of the guard). Run dives to the 3 tech (the DT on the outside shoulder of the guard).

Once you get some good runs going, mix in play action passes. They work best when you’re gouging them on the ground.
Appriciate this very much. Seems like a good starting point. Any I Forms you don't like? Do Power I or Maryland I jave anything weird or different in running? I hear Weak I has wonky animations when FB needs to run to strong side or something of the similar.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 13

What I've noticed is that all the runs where on the play selection the O-Line has their assignments pushing outwards looking like a T, instead of a reverse T, are kind of broken. Feels like you can get about 7-8 yards at will with those inside plays no matter what your sliders, so I try to keep from abusing them.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:22 AM   #8
Rookie

OBinKC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTYMATT726
Appriciate this very much. Seems like a good starting point. Any I Forms you don't like? Do Power I or Maryland I jave anything weird or different in running? I hear Weak I has wonky animations when FB needs to run to strong side or something of the similar.
I personally keep it very basic, so I don’t use Maryland I or Power I. Everything seems to get bunched up a lot of the time. So my “Big Personnel” sets are I Tight and I Twin TE. In ‘14, these are more than enough to bust a hole in the defense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »