Home

Why is NCAA 06 considered the best PS2 Version?

This is a discussion on Why is NCAA 06 considered the best PS2 Version? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-29-2020, 11:12 AM   #33
Rookie

buckeye cntry's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Why is NCAA 06 considered the best PS2 Version?

Anyone mind posting ps2 09 and 11 sliders that worked well? Thanks
Old 05-29-2020, 06:21 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by esayem
Most of what I like about 06 has already been mentioned. Funny enough, I was on GameCube when it came out and I had to play it on my roommate’s PS or Xbox, whatever he had.

I ended up getting a slim PS2 because I missed college hoops and NCAA football. I had 07 and played the absolute **** out of it against a bunch of college friends. It was an amazing experience. I had one series with a guy that was like 45-43 when school was out in the spring. We’d use the random team feature and have to either choose a team or if we got to the third one we had to take them!

07 was a great game vs another human, but it lacked some features I liked on 06. 07 has the jump the snap, which doesn’t bother me as much as other people, but it does have the kick return camera I don’t like and you can’t turn it off. It doesn’t happen vs a human, just the CPU.

Also, a minor thing I despise: all the games after 06 don’t show a realistic attendance figure. Your attendance will show you’re only getting 15k in a 40k stadium, yet the place is packed. 06 is the last game with dynamic attendance.
You can deactivate the return camera by pausing the game once you get the ball. You can also use different camera modes. Like I use a wide screen because it reminds me of coordinator cam in 14, and that zoom doesn't use the return camera.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) Plus mediante Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2020, 09:51 AM   #35
Pro

esayem's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofx94
You can deactivate the return camera by pausing the game once you get the ball. You can also use different camera modes. Like I use a wide screen because it reminds me of coordinator cam in 14, and that zoom doesn't use the return camera.
Interesting. I’ve used the pause method, but it is annoying. Good to know about different camera angles, thanks.

07 doesn’t have updated 1-AA rosters, they’re identical to 06. It also has that glitch where stadiums are always full. Otherwise, I really like it. Nice updated uniforms and playbooks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #36
Pro

volwalker's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by esayem
Interesting. I’ve used the pause method, but it is annoying. Good to know about different camera angles, thanks.

07 doesn’t have updated 1-AA rosters, they’re identical to 06. It also has that glitch where stadiums are always full. Otherwise, I really like it. Nice updated uniforms and playbooks.
The curl route is MUCH easier to complete in 07, almost too easy.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:15 AM   #37
Pro

esayem's Arena

One of my few gripes about 06 is duplicate/replicate recruits. You'll see they have the same height and weight and look exactly the same. Sometimes the height will be different. Ratings will be exactly the same. I'm not positive, but I think this started in 06 with in-season recruiting.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:31 AM   #38
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

I was watching a cpu vs cpu game in Dynasty mode last night between Penn State and USF...and it was obvious that Penn State was the superior team. One of their impact players was a cornerback and he ended up getting 2 picks in the 1st half. USF OL could not protect their QB and the QB was constantly harassed. The thing I loved about it was the fact that pressure actually affected passing. Because the QB didn't have a lot of time he was forced to throw early...there were overthrows...he would take off with nowhere to go. It was obvious that Penn State was better.

There is so much to love about this game. The feel of it just feels right. Impact players matter and depending on what a players rating is...some impact players are not as good as others, hence even though USF's QB was a impact player, he didn't have much of an impact because Penn State was better. I'm loving it. My settings are default All-American with 7 minute quarters and no slider adjustments.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:22 AM   #39
Pro

esayem's Arena

I had a great season with UMass and was then blown out by a totally better Virginia Tech team in the bowl game.

I had a tough game going with Syracuse on the road in my third season opener, then got a pick and a TD. They fumbled the kickoff and I scored again. They totally crumbled after that. The momentum is legit.

I seem remember somebody saying if a player was redshirted then he loses a year if he transfers? That didn’t happen to a RB I got from Marshall.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:07 PM   #40
MVP

BDawg35's Arena

OVR: 14

I'm used to being a dissenting voice, so I'll say that NCAA '06 was actually my least-favorite version on the PS2.

It was the only version in which I gave up a dynasty by the third year (I typically played 15 years or more) and played Madden the rest of the year.

If I recall, my main problems with the game was an unstoppable CPU deep ball (I don't play manually, but that hasn't been a problem in other versions) and that the CPU would just chuck it deep on third and long, even in a situation where it should just be running out the clock. I turned off the game and stopped playing it when the CPU threw a long TD on third-and-nine in the final minute of a game it was leading by multiple touchdowns.

It also seems like that was the version where I could return punts and kicks for touchdowns way too easily. I played All-American mode.

The following year was NCAA 2007, which was my favorite version for the PS2 in terms of the way the game played. NCAA 2004 is my sentimental favorite, because it's when I really got involved in playing the game heavily, started playing guys online and began posting dynasties over at the old MaddenMania forums (pouring a sip ...).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »