Home

Why is NCAA 06 considered the best PS2 Version?

This is a discussion on Why is NCAA 06 considered the best PS2 Version? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2020, 02:16 PM   #57
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Why is NCAA 06 considered the best PS2 Version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
You talking about the PS2 version? Outside of maybe awareness, there's no coverage ratings

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
you're right. awareness. IMO, awareness acceleration as well as speed, all paly a part in coverage.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:24 PM   #58
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
you're right. awareness. IMO, awareness acceleration as well as speed, all paly a part in coverage.
I might have to rethink my recruiting...... As long as my corners spd rating was at least at 90, I focused on height and awareness.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 06-13-2020, 11:51 PM   #59
MVP

joshrmlb's Arena

OVR: 9

Is there ncaa 11 sliders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2020, 08:09 AM   #60
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

I've heard some people saying the recruiting in 11 is bad, what makes it so bad? I'm gonna start a dynasty soon and i hope it's not as bad as you make it sound! That would suck if I found gameplay I like but the dynasty mode is messed up.

Anyway, because of this thread I went and got 06, 07, and 11 and have played them a lot the last week or two. Started out with 06 cause that's the one I see people praising the most and I was severely disappointed and had to give it up for now.

The things you guys are praising I totally agree with like the CPU AI however I only see one post in here about the passing game being too easy which surprises me cause it ruined the whole game for me. I wonder why it doesn't get more attention
It's the worst passing game I've ever played probably. The lack of animations for defenders when the ball is in the air is absurd, the ball will just go right over their head they dont even try for it on many occasions cause theres just no animation for that particular ball placement. Single coverage on any deep route is basically an auto completion if u just do a high lob pass. The receiver runs to the ball and the defender watches him catch it or tries an animation that gives him no chance and takes him out of the play.

Rating and sliders dont seem to effect this AT ALL. knockdowns, awareness, and interceptions all at 100 and Heisman difficulty QB accuracy 0 and still just throw high lob pass for easy yards. Receiver runs to the spot, defender is boxed out of the spot and has no animation to make a difference, doesnt matter who the players are. And its not just me, the cpu does throw these passes too. Every cpu vs cpu game I watched was completely undermined by deep lob passes. Every score summary was filled with 50+ yard passes. So predictable too. everytime I saw the QB throw deep I said to myself that's gonna be a touchdown and sure enough it usually was. It was just expected to be caught even in double or triple coverage. It felt awful.

The lack of animations hurts the run game a lot too. Granted theres no suction defending in this game which is great, but guys not going into tackles when they should is almost more of a detriment. Guys routinely bounce off the ball carrier with no animation and often it turns them around so u can just keep running right by them.

As much as we despise things like super human linebacker or the suction tackling, NCAA 06 taught me that those are necessary for a balanced and challenging game. I tried 07 and found it more of the same. But trying 11 was a revalation. It retains the simplistic gameplay feel and controls however it's tough to beat the defense now. The defenders have way more animations to use. They make far reaching tackle attempts and can swat or intercept from further away. First thing I did was put cpu knockdowns at 99 and i spent all night trying to dominate with case keenum and his elite receivers and i could not. And the mistakes were mostly my fault. I actually needed to pay attention to the defense more and plan my reads pre snap now. Wow.

Sure throwing a deep lob pass has a pretty good success rate in this game, but it's nothing compared to 06/07. Coverage you're throwing into actually matters. And actually feels like the ratings were somewhat involved. You'll see defenders beat the receiver to the spot sometimes even on deep balls whereas 06 if your guy had even an inch on the defender he would just run into your back and watch the ball go over his head with nothing he could do. In addition, with the tackling being better (more animations and better triggering) receivers are hit right after the catch way more which helps cause incompletions and less big plays.

I didnt even try cpu vs cpu mode yet because I only use that if I find controlling a team to be too easy. Every one of my games has been close so far and challenging as I continue to tweak the sliders. And I'm on all American not Heisman. If anything, I've considered making my offense easier not harder but I figure I will get better at it over time. I have felt the ratings and strategy matter more now that I have to dissect the defense before the snap and make smart reads based on personnel. They also seem to blitz a lot and its deadly in this game.

Some more thoughts - I will say I don't like the jump the snap though but I've kinda got used to it. Not sure about the momentum feature yet. The highlight/truck stick is also awesome to use again I missed that on the older games. Way more plays and stuff, motion plays, screens, trick plays etc. The sack avoid moves on the right analog stick are pretty nifty. I havent gotten good at it yet but the cpu is Houdini sometimes with it. You can direct receivers with it when u scramble out of the pocket which is cool. Probably forgetting some things. One thing I am worried about though is cpu QB doing too much dink and dunk and not throwing downfield enough. Might be a slider/scheme thing.

I've been streaming the games to show a friend of mine and if anyone wants to check it out you're welcome to watch too and suggest a matchup for me to play www.twitch.tv/cookybots

Sent from my SM-J336AZ using Tapatalk

Last edited by BleedGreen710; 06-30-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:46 AM   #61
Pro

volwalker's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
I've heard some people saying the recruiting in 11 is bad, what makes it so bad? I'm gonna start a dynasty soon and i hope it's not as bad as you make it sound! That would suck if I found gameplay I like but the dynasty mode is messed up.

Anyway, because of this thread I went and got 06, 07, and 11 and have played them a lot the last week or two. Started out with 06 cause that's the one I see people praising the most and I was severely disappointed and had to give it up for now.

The things you guys are praising I totally agree with like the CPU AI however I only see one post in here about the passing game being too easy which surprises me cause it ruined the whole game for me. I wonder why it doesn't get more attention
It's the worst passing game I've ever played probably. The lack of animations for defenders when the ball is in the air is absurd, the ball will just go right over their head they dont even try for it on many occasions cause theres just no animation for that particular ball placement. Single coverage on any deep route is basically an auto completion if u just do a high lob pass. The receiver runs to the ball and the defender watches him catch it or tries an animation that gives him no chance and takes him out of the play.

Rating and sliders dont seem to effect this AT ALL. knockdowns, awareness, and interceptions all at 100 and Heisman difficulty QB accuracy 0 and still just throw high lob pass for easy yards. Receiver runs to the spot, defender is boxed out of the spot and has no animation to make a difference, doesnt matter who the players are. And its not just me, the cpu does throw these passes too. Every cpu vs cpu game I watched was completely undermined by deep lob passes. Every score summary was filled with 50+ yard passes. So predictable too. everytime I saw the QB throw deep I said to myself that's gonna be a touchdown and sure enough it usually was. It was just expected to be caught even in double or triple coverage. It felt awful.

The lack of animations hurts the run game a lot too. Granted theres no suction defending in this game which is great, but guys not going into tackles when they should is almost more of a detriment. Guys routinely bounce off the ball carrier with no animation and often it turns them around so u can just keep running right by them.

As much as we despise things like super human linebacker or the suction tackling, NCAA 06 taught me that those are necessary for a balanced and challenging game. I tried 07 and found it more of the same. But trying 11 was a revalation. It retains the simplistic gameplay feel and controls however it's tough to beat the defense now. The defenders have way more animations to use. They make far reaching tackle attempts and can swat or intercept from further away. First thing I did was put cpu knockdowns at 99 and i spent all night trying to dominate with case keenum and his elite receivers and i could not. And the mistakes were mostly my fault. I actually needed to pay attention to the defense more and plan my reads pre snap now. Wow.

Sure throwing a deep lob pass has a pretty good success rate in this game, but it's nothing compared to 06/07. Coverage you're throwing into actually matters. And actually feels like the ratings were somewhat involved. You'll see defenders beat the receiver to the spot sometimes even on deep balls whereas 06 if your guy had even an inch on the defender he would just run into your back and watch the ball go over his head with nothing he could do. In addition, with the tackling being better (more animations and better triggering) receivers are hit right after the catch way more which helps cause incompletions and less big plays.

I didnt even try cpu vs cpu mode yet because I only use that if I find controlling a team to be too easy. Every one of my games has been close so far and challenging as I continue to tweak the sliders. And I'm on all American not Heisman. If anything, I've considered making my offense easier not harder but I figure I will get better at it over time. I have felt the ratings and strategy matter more now that I have to dissect the defense before the snap and make smart reads based on personnel. They also seem to blitz a lot and its deadly in this game.

Some more thoughts - I will say I don't like the jump the snap though but I've kinda got used to it. Not sure about the momentum feature yet. The highlight/truck stick is also awesome to use again I missed that on the older games. Way more plays and stuff, motion plays, screens, trick plays etc. The sack avoid moves on the right analog stick are pretty nifty. I havent gotten good at it yet but the cpu is Houdini sometimes with it. You can direct receivers with it when u scramble out of the pocket which is cool. Probably forgetting some things. One thing I am worried about though is cpu QB doing too much dink and dunk and not throwing downfield enough. Might be a slider/scheme thing.

I've been streaming the games to show a friend of mine and if anyone wants to check it out you're welcome to watch too and suggest a matchup for me to play www.twitch.tv/cookybots

I believe it was either 10 or 11, maybe both, where EA got so lazy that they didn't even auto-create new prospects for in-season recruiting meaning you'll see the exact same recruits everytime you start a new dynasty. They also screwed up off-season recruits by having way too many WRs ranked way high, like 30 of the top 50 players being WR.

I'm afraid you'll have to realize that none of these games are perfect and you have to figure out which one has the positives you like the most that also has negatives you can deal with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2020, 09:30 AM   #62
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwalker
I believe it was either 10 or 11, maybe both, where EA got so lazy that they didn't even auto-create new prospects for in-season recruiting meaning you'll see the exact same recruits everytime you start a new dynasty. They also screwed up off-season recruits by having way too many WRs ranked way high, like 30 of the top 50 players being WR.

I'm afraid you'll have to realize that none of these games are perfect and you have to figure out which one has the positives you like the most that also has negatives you can deal with.
Thanks for the info I'll look into that. Doesnt sound good. And yeah they're definitely not perfect. I can see why others would prefer 06.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:50 AM   #63
Pro

volwalker's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Thanks for the info I'll look into that. Doesnt sound good. And yeah they're definitely not perfect. I can see why others would prefer 06.

I'm currently in a testing phase with the other games just in case I missed something and find one that's worth investing my time in and so far I haven't found it yet. 07 is plagued by turnover and fumble issues, 08 has the bad pursuit angle issue, I'm currently testing 09 and am hoping for the best, and 10 and 11 have too many big recruiting issues like we discussed. After I find something gamebreaking in 09 and I'm sure I will, I'll fool around with the earlier games but the problem with those is that they are so bare bones in terms of dynsty stuff.

Over time I've realized that games before 06 had a more pure gameplay feel while games after 06 had amazing dynasty features and updated aspects throughout but suffered in gameplay in one way or another. To me, 06 was the equilibrium of the bunch if that makes sense. But everyone has a different feel for each game.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:50 AM   #64
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:

Wasn't 11 the game that also had the issue with horrible pursuit angles taken by the AI? Was that issue just on the 360/PS3 versions or all platforms?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »