Home

Defensive Strategies Discussion

This is a discussion on Defensive Strategies Discussion within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-25-2020, 04:38 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0

I have finally started reading defenses somewhat. Safeties cheating up. Or too many guys spread out in the box might not work on an HB Counter play. But I need advanced defense strategy help. I know some say defense is broken. But fill me on in when and why do I need to shift defensive line and which direction? Same for LBs and safeties. When, why, and which direction to shift them? Just want to figure this part of the defensive side of the game. Many thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #2
MVP

Rondo is GOD's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Defensive Strategies Discussion

I play a heavy man press up style defense almost constantly. Ill spread the LBs up and user drag the weak side safety down into the box. I have 99 press on both CBs, so it's very effective. I'll adjust the DL or LB if my opponent is heavier on one side or the other but not always.

If I suspect a read option of some kind ill adjust the DL with the right stick up, so that the ends focus more on setting the edge.

Its highly situational, and the game plays much smarter on Heisman.
In this case the lasagna restaurant started selling candy to kids and that became the best revenue stream so they’ve let the lasagna get worse and focused on becoming a candy store. The problem is this restaurant bought the rights to make lasagna so if we want lasagna we can only go to this place.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:14 PM   #3
Pro

I play with adjusted sliders on All American. I know I would surely get killed on Heisman.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:46 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

I always come back to the Lessons I Learned from Nick Saban thread in the Madden forums. It’s about 6 years old at this point but those strategies still hold up in my NCAA 06 dynasty today.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-15-2021, 02:43 AM   #5
Rookie

What is the best defense for the run and pass in NCAA 13 "without" many adjustments? I play in an offline league and we're not allowed to nano blitzing. We can move one player.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2021, 12:15 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegefbfan
I have finally started reading defenses somewhat. Safeties cheating up. Or too many guys spread out in the box might not work on an HB Counter play. But I need advanced defense strategy help. I know some say defense is broken. But fill me on in when and why do I need to shift defensive line and which direction? Same for LBs and safeties. When, why, and which direction to shift them? Just want to figure this part of the defensive side of the game. Many thanks.

There are several reasons to shift your line. If you have pass rushers, you want them to line up in the gaps to force the OL to move laterally. Run stuffers should line up on the OL. If you have a quick pass rushing DT going against a slow, lumbering, run blocking OG, you will have an advantage if you force the OG to move.

If you think the CPU is going to try to run outside, shift your line to the side you expect them to attack to give them a harder corner to get around. Shift the line in tight if you expect a run up the middle.

Shifting just before or as the ball is snapped will usually yield a player being unblocked because you can confuse the OL's blocking assignments. Typically, you always want to shift your DL when you are smaller than the OL.

There is a play in the 4-2-5 playbook (and I'm sure the concept is in the 4-3 book as well) where you have two LBs blitz the center area. Shift your DL wide and LBs in. Your four DLs will occupy the OTs and OGs. The LB you control (who is blitzing) attack and occupy the C. If your CPU-controlled LB is good, he will come free immediately (or get picked up by a back) and you get immediate pressure potentially resulting in a sack.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »