Home

QB Option Read advice

This is a discussion on QB Option Read advice within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2021, 04:15 PM   #1
Rookie

SALonghorn's Arena

OVR: 0
QB Option Read advice

I’m still new to running the QB Option. Specifically, the option to give the HB the ball or pulling back for the QB run

NCAA 14 has the indicator of the end defender to watch to determine to give or pull back the ball

Is there any pre-snap read to determine which to do? Feels like a split second 50/50 shot each time I try it

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2021, 04:40 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: QB Option Read advice

Not much to read pre-sanp. Maybe look at alignments and see if they show pressure coming off of the side that may make you give no matter what, otherwise you just read the DE or LB at the snap. If they don't move you give, if they crash you keep.

― Plato
Old 01-13-2021, 05:57 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Not much to read pre-sanp. Maybe look at alignments and see if they show pressure coming off of the side that may make you give no matter what, otherwise you just read the DE or LB at the snap. If they don't move you give, if they crash you keep.

Note that it’s the opposite for an inverted veer. If they stay home you keep, if they crash you give.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:03 PM   #4
Rookie

SALonghorn's Arena

QB Option Read advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21

The DE/LB/Db do move, even if they don’t go after the HB, they do move up/down field to protect against the QB run

I thought that was a giveaway but my QB getting crushed said it wasn’t a clue

That’s why I asked about a pre-snap read. I’ve given the ball to the HB because it looked like the DE was really wide and visa-versa when I thought the DE was too far in
Didn’t matter

Guess it just takes practice to get that split second decision to be sharp

Old 01-13-2021, 08:06 PM   #5
Rookie

JPCaveman13's Arena

OVR: 6

They end man will move but it's the amount of movement they do is what you key off of. Let's say the R-key is over the DE and there's no extra pressure coming behind him in this example. You snap the ball and the DE pops out of his stance and then settles into a "spy" route (standing still while watching your QB). You would press the button to give it to your HB (X or A). Same setup as before, but you snap it and this time the DE decides to take the free run all the way to your QB/HB handoff interaction. Now you'll not press anything and you'll keep it as a QB run.

There's a few little nuances that can slightly alter what you might end up doing, like if a LB or FS/SS show pressure, it may switch the key to them if they are close enough to the LoS to register a change. That would show if you did another pre-snap read (L2/LT). But if not, just see what both players are doing and key off if they crash the handoff or not.

And second, the info above is switched for running the Inverted Veer. You keep if they stay at home (spy route on the line) and give if they crash.

The easiest way I've used to remember what to do is "if the read crashes, the rush going outside gets the ball and if the read stays at home, the inside rusher gets the ball."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2021, 10:55 PM   #6
MVP

Rondo is GOD's Arena

OVR: 23

Hold down the a button every time, assume you're going to give to the RB unless the read option player obviously sticks with the RB.

Once you figure it out its cheese/money in 14.
In this case the lasagna restaurant started selling candy to kids and that became the best revenue stream so they’ve let the lasagna get worse and focused on becoming a candy store. The problem is this restaurant bought the rights to make lasagna so if we want lasagna we can only go to this place.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:17 PM   #7
Rookie

SALonghorn's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo is GOD
Hold down the a button every time, assume you're going to give to the RB unless the read option player obviously sticks with the RB.

Once you figure it out its cheese/money in 14.

My next strategy will be to pick a spot a yard or two in front of the Read Defender. If he goes there, let the HB have it. If he moves inside, then let go of the button and run the QB

Hold down to give to HB or let go to keep with QB

Old 01-14-2021, 09:51 PM   #8
Rookie

OBinKC's Arena

You’d think there was a pre-snap read, but it’s not that. It really is as simple as practicing it over and over again. I also found, for some reason, looking at the center during the snap and reading the DE out of the corner of my eye seemed to slow things down for me. Like I could see the DE’s direction better when I wasn’t focused directly on him. If that makes any sense.

But again, keep practicing it over and over and over. It will become second nature to you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »