Home

EA Sports College Football FAQ: Here's What to Know So Far

This is a discussion on EA Sports College Football FAQ: Here's What to Know So Far within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2021, 09:28 PM   #17
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: EA Sports College Football FAQ: Here's What to Know So Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by cch99
I can't see them making this an every year release.* My guess is the hope is with this far enough out they can pay a player's union or do something to get real rosters.**

Otherwise there just isn't enough change in these games year to year for a whole new game every year with fake names.* The first year sure.* It will probably do really well since it hasn't been around in a while but after that I could see a big drop off with fake names and no roster editing.
I actually think college sports games are niche enough for a non annual release. I see it talked about a lot with regards to NBA 2K, Madden and The Show and it makes no sense to me. Not only are they contractually obligated to release yearly, but they sell well each year. Why miss out on all that revenue each year? A gamer can simply wait a year or two between releases and see a larger gameplay difference if that's what they want.

College games, even the vaunted NCAA Football, only sold a fraction of what the pro games sold. Theres a market and I'm sure money to be made but it's not as much. They could release every few years when theres more demand and presumably improvements to the engine via the pro game. I think it could work with College Hoops and even EAs MVP College Baseball.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 02-09-2021, 10:37 PM   #18
Rookie

turok77's Arena

OVR: 2
At this point I don't care if the rosters aren't sharable or customizable, or whatever else people want to complain about.* If UNC Charlotte is in the game and I can start a dynasty with them and take them to National championships, I'll be just fine.* I'm just so happy it's coming back.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:53 AM   #19
Rookie

smellbig's Arena

It's definitely going to be interesting to see what game engine they use. The one in Madden right now where animations are forced is so unlikeable and makes the game so unenjoyable in long stretches of play.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:26 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
O'Bannon gets all of the blame thrown his way, despite it not really being his fault. The NCAA and EA deserve the blame. Had they gone about things differently, the series never hits a hiatus.

Everyone knew the rosters were based on real life and that that had a huge potential to lead to litigation issues. They went on with it anyways.

EA wanted to pay the players for real rosters, but the NCAA forbid it. This led to the game using real player likeness, but with no compensation leading to where we are now.

All EA had to do was use generic rosters. The series never shuts down if they do that.

All the NCAA had to do was have a NIL bill passed ages ago and the series likely never shuts down and we would have real rosters each year.

Instead, the NCAA remained in their ways and EA kept toeing the line despite anybody who took a law class knew it would be a slam dunk case if they ever pursued it.

O'Bannon did cause the issue, he only shed the light on it. Now we're likely months away from a NIL bill that may allow real players in the game with their names and all, and we are only a couple of years from the series returning. O'Bannon likely will receive no credit for that, but he probably should.

He lit a match that jumpstarted a lot of this.

Very well said, and thank you for saying it. Never blame people for doing the right thing, even when it has some negative consequences for your own interests. Honestly, we are talking about a video game versus players real lives. Real life is always much more important.

As you clearly stated, each party is responsible for their actions, and not the actions of the other. EA and the NCAA are responsible for the legal situation they created. O'Bannon is responsible for challenging out what was wrong. And thank goodness he did. Every little bit helps, and he did his part.

In the long run, you are much more likely to get the kind of game you really want if the labor problem is sorted out, and that was not going to happen until someone forced the issue. O'Bannon helped the long term game development, even if it cost you in the short run.

On a related note, I am not sure what the right move is going forward. Part of me thinks we should vote with our pocketbooks and say we are not going to purchase a game that doesn't allow us to edit rosters as we see fit. The downside is that maybe that delays EAs re-entry into college football games.

But honestly.....is that a bad thing? Are we ever really going to get a good game and a best effort from EA? I think you know that answer. Maybe it's better to let this effort die, and both support and hope other companies coming in to try to make a better game?

Thoughts?
Old 02-15-2021, 04:34 PM   #21
Rookie

Also, does anyone here with a legal background explain why it's considered a legal risk to allow roster editing? EA is not allowing it, and given their legal history with this, I kind of get their reluctance. However, Doug Flutie College Football came to the same conclusion and also would not allow player editing.

How is a company liable if they allow their game to be edited and people do whatever on their own devices? That has never made sense to me. Even if we know the majority of people will use real rosters (and logos if you allow generic team editing), people can do make completely fictional rosters and teams. A legal and alternative use for an editing function is not just plausible, it can be demonstrated and verified.

Why is it a legal problem? I am neither a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2021, 06:34 PM   #22
Rookie

TimLawNYC's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolyGuy
How is a company liable if they allow their game to be edited and people do whatever on their own devices? That has never made sense to me. Even if we know the majority of people will use real rosters (and logos if you allow generic team editing), people can do make completely fictional rosters and teams. A legal and alternative use for an editing function is not just plausible, it can be demonstrated and verified.

Don't take this as any sort of legal advice, but I think the argument would be that by allowing roster editing/sharing, EA is still profiting from player likenesses by helping to "include" them in the game but just using a backdoor to do it. If they market the game with fictional players but allow full roster editing and sharing while knowing with certainty that real players and rosters will be available to the community through that feature, EA is still reaping the sales and benefits from the fact that the likenesses of real players are easily added in to the game, whether EA officially put them there or not.

It's not a slam dunk argument but EA, NCAA and all the other players here have been very careful to avoid even the prospect of getting involved in litigation about this issue, so I'd expect that they will continue to take a conservative stance and try to avoid anything that could be expected to bring them into court.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:22 AM   #23
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolyGuy
Also, does anyone here with a legal background explain why it's considered a legal risk to allow roster editing? EA is not allowing it, and given their legal history with this, I kind of get their reluctance. However, Doug Flutie College Football came to the same conclusion and also would not allow player editing.

It is one of those "You knew but did nothing to stop it" kind of situations. Like if someone was at my job doing something wrong, and I knew but did not tell anyone or try to stop it, I would most likely be held accountable, too.

It sucks, but it is the easiest way for EA not to fall into one of those garbage traps of someone who could not make it in their professional sport, so they file a lawsuit.

Sent from my Note 20 Ultra using Operation Sports mobile app

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 02-20-2021, 11:29 AM   #24
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLawNYC
Don't take this as any sort of legal advice, but I think the argument would be that by allowing roster editing/sharing, EA is still profiting from player likenesses by helping to "include" them in the game but just using a backdoor to do it. If they market the game with fictional players but allow full roster editing and sharing while knowing with certainty that real players and rosters will be available to the community through that feature, EA is still reaping the sales and benefits from the fact that the likenesses of real players are easily added in to the game, whether EA officially put them there or not.

It's not a slam dunk argument but EA, NCAA and all the other players here have been very careful to avoid even the prospect of getting involved in litigation about this issue, so I'd expect that they will continue to take a conservative stance and try to avoid anything that could be expected to bring them into court.
They allow roster sharing in the Madden franchise which often involves gamers replicating those exact same players. Like you said in your second paragraph, they are just being overly cautious to avoid being hauled into court in the first place. There's already some bad precedent against them regarding likeness rights in the 3rd Circuit, so they don't want to test it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »