Home

I wonder if teambuilder will return

This is a discussion on I wonder if teambuilder will return within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-23-2021, 02:31 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: I wonder if teambuilder will return

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Exactly. TeamBuilder is as big of a potential issue as is roster editing.

The key is to wait and see what NIL bill passes. Should we get one that allows EA to have real rosters then I would assume all FBS schools at that point would feel comfortable signing on. At that point TeamBuilder and even roster editing may be in the game as that's a huge litigation risk that is minimized if it all plays out as expected.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
True but when I interpret what the politicians pushing the NIL are saying I believe they will want an unreasonable amount of money for each college athlete which will make it impossible to make a profit on a game. They apparently believe the $100,000 + college scholarship is peanuts. They do not operate in a world where their business has to make a profit. They get elected by giving free stuff away at someone else's expense.

85 players on a roster times x number of college teams times y amount of money per athlete. That adds up pretty fast. I'll be fine with generic rosters and a teambuilder option so I can create my own school, logo, etc.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:56 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
True but when I interpret what the politicians pushing the NIL are saying I believe they will want an unreasonable amount of money for each college athlete which will make it impossible to make a profit on a game. They apparently believe the $100,000 + college scholarship is peanuts. They do not operate in a world where their business has to make a profit. They get elected by giving free stuff away at someone else's expense.

85 players on a roster times x number of college teams times y amount of money per athlete. That adds up pretty fast. I'll be fine with generic rosters and a teambuilder option so I can create my own school, logo, etc.
The politicians won't be the ones deciding what these players make in their deals.

― Plato
Old 02-24-2021, 06:30 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrane
I'd argue that it could. Notre Dame has announced they won't allow their property / trademarks in the game until NIL is finalized. A TeamBuilder function would be a backdoor to get them in the game and ND (as well as others who reached the same decision) could sue them just as players could with Roster editing / sharing functionality.

Quote:
Notre Dame and Texas are similar in that they both think the world revolves around them. Texas nearly destroyed the Big 12 until they realized no other conference wanted them.

I'm sure the other 200 schools CLC has under contract will struggle on somehow without Notre Dame.

I offered no opinion about Notre Dame's vanity in my post about Team Builder returning. I never said the game will fail if Notre Dame is not included, but that a Team Builder functionality could be litigated as a back door to get unlicensed schools in the game. As you point out, Notre Dame and Texas seem to have an overinflated opinion of themselves which is EXACTLY why they would sue EA if Team Builder allowed users to create their teams and use their trademarks. Unlike current college players, schools like Notre Dame and Texas have the financial resources to give EA a good run for their money in a court of law.

Unless every FBS school is included in the release, I would expect that any Team Builder functionality would be so weak that this message board would burn down from all the threads complaining about its shortcomings. For example, they may not allow users to upload custom images for logos, so we'll be creating the Notre Dame Tuskers and the Texas Vipers.

If we are unable to edit rosters in the game but could edit rosters in a fully functional Team Builder, that could be viewed as a way to get a real Alabama team into the game that would replace the fictitious Alabama roster that was shipped with the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2021, 11:08 AM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrane
I offered no opinion about Notre Dame's vanity in my post about Team Builder returning. I never said the game will fail if Notre Dame is not included, but that a Team Builder functionality could be litigated as a back door to get unlicensed schools in the game. As you point out, Notre Dame and Texas seem to have an overinflated opinion of themselves which is EXACTLY why they would sue EA if Team Builder allowed users to create their teams and use their trademarks. Unlike current college players, schools like Notre Dame and Texas have the financial resources to give EA a good run for their money in a court of law.

Unless every FBS school is included in the release, I would expect that any Team Builder functionality would be so weak that this message board would burn down from all the threads complaining about its shortcomings. For example, they may not allow users to upload custom images for logos, so we'll be creating the Notre Dame Tuskers and the Texas Vipers.

If we are unable to edit rosters in the game but could edit rosters in a fully functional Team Builder, that could be viewed as a way to get a real Alabama team into the game that would replace the fictitious Alabama roster that was shipped with the game.
You could be correct but I would point out in multiple games already on the market I can create a college team. MLB the show has a fully functional rebranding program in the game. NHL has one. NBA has one.

I can create the Notre Dame baseball team and put them in mlb the show if I want to. I haven't heard of anybody getting sued over it. I'm no lawyer but it seems a stretch to convince a judge to hold a company accountable for what someone else creates from their software. Bill Gates would be doing life in prison.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:12 AM   #13
MVP

Quote:
The politicians won't be the ones deciding what these players make in their deals.

You may be correct but they are about to pass a national minimum wage law and passed a law requiring employers to provide health insurance to employees.

If enough politicians think it will get them more votes they will pass it.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:25 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
You may be correct but they are about to pass a national minimum wage law and passed a law requiring employers to provide health insurance to employees.

If enough politicians think it will get them more votes they will pass it.
And none of that would have any impact on EA compensating the players for the likeness. EA won't be paying the players wages. The players will not be employees of EA.

Should group licensing be allowed, an organization will come in and act as the union for the players. This group will negotiate with EA to get a standard compensation package that will be given to all individuals who agree to allow EA to use their NIL. This compensation package is not going to be a ton of value.

99% of the FBS football players are not worth much from a NIL standpoint. I would not be shocked if the compensation is a copy of the game on their platform of choice, some gear, and/or a small amount of cash. EA already had a plan to compensate the players in the past if the NCAA was ever going to allow them. Given that the series is likely to be more profitable these days, I'm sure they already have a compensation package in mind that will allow them to produce a profit.

I imagine their projections show that if they obtain real named rosters that they expect sales to improve by a certain percentage making it a good move to get named rosters with the real players.

There will likely be a handful of players that won't join this group licensing effort for a variety of reasons. A Trevor Lawrence type star may want to negotiate alone and demand more compensation. Some guys may not want to be in the game. The vast majority of players won't be able to dictate what they get and will likely take whatever they can get from their acting union.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 02-24-2021 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:23 PM   #15
MVP

Quote:
And none of that would have any impact on EA compensating the players for the likeness. EA won't be paying the players wages. The players will not be employees of EA.

Should group licensing be allowed, an organization will come in and act as the union for the players. This group will negotiate with EA to get a standard compensation package that will be given to all individuals who agree to allow EA to use their NIL. This compensation package is not going to be a ton of value.

99% of the FBS football players are not worth much from a NIL standpoint. I would not be shocked if the compensation is a copy of the game on their platform of choice, some gear, and/or a small amount of cash. EA already had a plan to compensate the players in the past if the NCAA was ever going to allow them. Given that the series is likely to be more profitable these days, I'm sure they already have a compensation package in mind that will allow them to produce a profit.

I imagine their projections show that if they obtain real named rosters that they expect sales to improve by a certain percentage making it a good move to get named rosters with the real players.

There will likely be a handful of players that won't join this group licensing effort for a variety of reasons. A Trevor Lawrence type star may want to negotiate alone and demand more compensation. Some guys may not want to be in the game. The vast majority of players won't be able to dictate what they get and will likely take whatever they can get from their acting union.

A union would be the best case scenario and probably the only way we get "real" players but I've never been concerned about "real" players in a college game because of the high turnover rate in college sports. I'm perfectly fine with generic rosters and a teambuilder option.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:23 PM   #16
Rookie

Limasbravo's Arena

Quote:
Exactly. TeamBuilder is as big of a potential issue as is roster editing.

The key is to wait and see what NIL bill passes. Should we get one that allows EA to have real rosters then I would assume all FBS schools at that point would feel comfortable signing on. At that point TeamBuilder and even roster editing may be in the game as that's a huge litigation risk that is minimized if it all plays out as expected.
When I used Teambuilder, I don't remember being able to do roster editing through that. I remember you could choose your team type (air raid, etc) but then it gave you generic players.

Was there an ability to edit players from there? You could inside the game and with other editors, but could you actually edit the players from inside Teambuilder?

Last edited by Limasbravo; 02-24-2021 at 02:26 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »