Home

Fully unique Coaches play calling tendencies.

This is a discussion on Fully unique Coaches play calling tendencies. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2021, 04:05 PM   #1
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

OVR: 0
Fully unique Coaches play calling tendencies.

The title about says it all, having to anticipate what the other sideline is planning during gameday would be a great way to create depth and realism in the game.

Some ultra aggressive, some conservative, both factoring on the scoreboard, distance, roster talent, key positions and job security.

CPU teams stole your successful plays in your playbook and added them to their playbooks. That feature met with college playbooks from incoming college coaches and user created plays birthed a new meta evolution for playcallers across the NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2021, 05:16 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Fully unique Coaches play calling tendencies.

Having an AI that:

Had an actual philosophy
Had both macro and micro tendencies
Had roster awareness for both their team and yours
Had awareness of matchup favorabilities for their team and yours
Had varying abilities to adjust both at the macro and micro level
Had an awareness of your philosophy and tendencies, both macro and micro

And used all of that to create gameplans and adjust in-game would give the game limitless playability. AI is the single biggest issue with all sports games. These games lack in plenty of areas, but the AI lacks the ability to do so much that it hurts the game more than anything else.

EA covered this up in the past with the variety of play styles. A triple option team played differently than a spread team because their playbook forced them to, not because the coaches had their own AI and philosophies that were dynamic. A spread coach would always be a spread coach with the same spread playbook. They never adjusted to their roster, to your roster, to the conference rosters, etc.

The day that the AI can analyze their roster constantly throughout a season, tune their philosophy and scheme, make adjustments, big and small, during the year and during the offseason, use their philosophy to shape their team building strategy, etc. is the day all sports gamers enter into heaven.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 03-03-2021, 08:33 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 0

Some of the best games I’ve had in 14 were games where, for some reason, the CPU played differently than you’d see in any other games. It’s such an important part of the experience to have teams with an identity
Old 03-04-2021, 08:54 AM   #4
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

It's the fundamental difference between human beings and AI. The AI can only do so much; which is why the User sometimes must "help" out. For example, when I would edit rosters, and let's say there was a team who ran Triple Option, I would go in and adjust player ratings to fit their scheme. All OL Tendencies would be set to Run Block and their Acceleration would be set to 127 so they could actually get out and block. All QB's Scramblers etc. I would also create a playbook specifically for the Triple Option and edit run/pass ratio to like 90-95% run and 5-10% pass.

I would also have it set up through the editor for me to be able to make depth chart moves and formation subs for the AI during the season. Whatever it took to help the AI. It's very time consuming; but if you have the stamina and are able to use the editor, you can do certain things to help out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »