Home

Help Needed on Offense and Defense NCAA 14

This is a discussion on Help Needed on Offense and Defense NCAA 14 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2021, 01:53 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Help Needed on Offense and Defense NCAA 14

Just got my doors blown off in an online dynasty game, 56-14. Defense was not good, though it's been better this season. My interceptions made the score a lot worse. My offense has regressed the passed two seasons and I'm not sure why. My talent is fine. Felt like his secondary was in lockdown press man all game, usually I'd think corner routes help with that but it didn't really do the trick. Defense I couldn't really stop the big plays or stop the run. My secondary likes to cover the wrong guy in deep zone on deep passes (gave up a long four verts right before half where my CB kept running toward his guy and away from the targeted receiver). I'm going to add some 4-3 and 4-2-5 to my Custom 3-3-5 to help with the run, but any pass d tips? Press man or zone?

TLDR: I need plays, or concepts to know.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2021, 03:58 PM   #2
Rookie

dirk1970's Arena

Re: Help Needed on Offense and Defense NCAA 14

I'm also new to NCAA 14. Defense is working really well. Nothing to complain about.

Offense is a little trickier since AI Pass Defense is far better what I know from Madden Games.

I just played my first game of season 2 with Georgia Southern @ Nebraska. It's so hard to get receivers open and even if they are open they are actually covered by DBs who are roaming in no time over half of the field. Just got intercepted 4 times and I think that only 1 INT was my fault. Lost 31:27 in a nail biter. They took the lead just 1:14 minutes before triple zeros in the 4th quarter.

The route running of my receivers is awful. They seem to dance around their actual routes but very often don't run it properly.

I stick to running game, option plays and PA. Longer passes seem to get intercepted no matter how far the next DB is away.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:24 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fn1224
Just got my doors blown off in an online dynasty game, 56-14. Defense was not good, though it's been better this season. My interceptions made the score a lot worse. My offense has regressed the passed two seasons and I'm not sure why. My talent is fine. Felt like his secondary was in lockdown press man all game, usually I'd think corner routes help with that but it didn't really do the trick. Defense I couldn't really stop the big plays or stop the run. My secondary likes to cover the wrong guy in deep zone on deep passes (gave up a long four verts right before half where my CB kept running toward his guy and away from the targeted receiver). I'm going to add some 4-3 and 4-2-5 to my Custom 3-3-5 to help with the run, but any pass d tips? Press man or zone?

TLDR: I need plays, or concepts to know.

When your receivers cannot get off press coverage, send the receiver you want to throw to in motion and snap the ball while he is still in motion. The defense cannot press a man in motion.

Try slants (West Coast Offense concept) or mesh (Air Raid concept) routes. They are short routes, but your receivers should be open once they get off the press and should get you 5 or more yards.

Corner routes are almost always open. How are your receivers' Acceleration ratings? Acceleration gets separation out of the break. Throw just before your receiver makes his cut and your receiver should be open for the pass even when you are going up against better DBs.

The deep zones are typically frustrating in this game. Yesterday I played a game and had 2 deep safeties. The O sent ONE receiver deep on the by the sideline and the middle routes were intermediate, but the safety was hanging on the hash marks defending nobody instead of shading toward the outside GO route to be in position to make a play on the ball. Mix up your coverage. I play about 60% man. Zone can be frustrating to play, but it is a very good defense against the run (NOT the option). On 3rd and about 5 against a 3 WR set, a Nickel / Cover 2 Sink is a good defense. With a 4 man line, you'll have 5 players in zone 5 -- 10 yards from the LOS with 2 deep safeties. You are in position to make a stop on a short route and a run.

The 4-2-5 has a Strikes (or Smokes?) defense that is very good against an option run as well as providing a pass rush. 4 lineman with both SS blitzing off the edge and one will typically be free to provide a pass rush or stop the outside option run.

When you play Press Coverage, you need a pass rush. Your corners are toast as soon as the receiver gets off it. Mix it up.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:08 PM   #4
Rookie

dirk1970's Arena

Well, the second season seems to get more frustating. Just lost the 2nd close game this season, in which I had the lead until late in the 4th quarter.

At times the AI seems to get what they need: big plays, conversions on 3rd or 4th and long, Houdini-like plays in the pass defense department + INTs, while my secondary has dropped 3 easy INTs.
On offense you rarely get someone wide open and if you do, your QB makes a bad throw.
Old 10-31-2021, 12:49 PM   #5
Rookie

dirk1970's Arena

I found that advice in a thread about a special slider set: When running the ball, don't press R2 (PS3, Sprint) at the beginning, but wait until you have found a hole in the defense.

I am using basically the standard sliders and it works really well.

Just beat the Ranjin' Cajuns 40:37 4-OT in a game that I didn't expect to win rating-wise. My running backs gained 1-2 yards more on every play and I even had a couple of breakout runs.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »