Home

How do you build a defense?

This is a discussion on How do you build a defense? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2021, 03:24 PM   #1
Rookie

VTWiseGuy's Arena

OVR: 0
How do you build a defense?

All balance? All zone? Or a mixture of zone/man/run stopper/pass rusher at all positions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2021, 03:50 PM   #2
Pro

Re: How do you build a defense?

So, I am not smart enough to build a defense like real coaches and even some of the folks here can.

I focus on having 3 great corners for man coverage. I focus my safeties more on being able to hang back in a two deep but like to have at least one I can sub in to be a run stopper. Two edge rushers and two run stoppers. Since I play in Nickel or 4-2-5 so much I focus least on linebackers but usually want run stoppers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 12-09-2021, 08:13 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTWiseGuy
All balance? All zone? Or a mixture of zone/man/run stopper/pass rusher at all positions?

What I look for depends on the defensive formation of my DC. Some generic traits:
  1. Defensive linemen and linebackers should be good at working off blocks. If my DE's Block Shedding rating is high and I'm playing as a LB, I am content with stringing out an outside run to give my computer DE a chance to make the play. With a lower Block Shedding, I feel the need to aggressively commit to making the play myself.
  2. Corners should be good coverage players in both man and zone. It is great if they can tackle too, but I'll accept "speed bumps" on the corner to slow the ball carrier enough for help to arrive.
  3. Safeties should be good tacklers and zone defenders. A lot of man coverage calls will have a single or two safeties in zone. Without a good zone defense rating, you may as well send the safeties on the blitz because they will almost always be late when helping a corner / LB.
  4. Linebackers (in addition to #1) should have good speed, which generally makes them Coverage LBs in this game. On 3rd and 5--11, zone coverage with these LBs will typically take the draw plays and short patterns (crossing / slants / mesh / etc) and help you get off the field. This forces your opponent to attack your secondary.
  5. I prefer tall DEs in addition to #1, I want them to be 6'4" or taller. A short, quick DE with good Block Shedding is acceptable, but not ideal.
  6. I prefer about 300 pound DTs in addition to #1. 330 pounders don't move well enough in general and are only good to stuff runs up the middle. I will only go after one (a JUCO) if my current year's team is vulnerable up the middle. JUCOs are expected to play a large role immediately in my dynasty universe.

I will play about 60% man coverage. I blitz on roughly 75% of the defensive play calls. The more zone you play, the more important the tackle rating is for all players. So regarding item #2 above, if I take over a team where the corners are good tacklers and OK in coverage, I will play more zone than man until I can build the team I prefer.
Old 12-11-2021, 11:02 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

My LBs need to be athletic and have play recognition ability.

My CBs need to be quick and good enough to be on islands at times.

My safeties need play recognition ability and preferably good acceleration to break on whatever read they make.

My DL needs to be able to shed blocks, then I prioritize athleticism at the DE spot and strength in the middle at DT.

I don't worry about block shedding as much with the back 7 because if my LBs are fast enough and recognizing the play quick enough then they can fill holes quick enough to where even if they get chipped a safety can clean up.

I also typically like to play a lot of singly high looks to have more bodies in the box so that teams have to beat me through the air. However, my most dominant defenses are when my LBs are not only freak athletes with high play reaction, but can shed blocks very well. Then I can have a light box and feel confident in stopping the run.

You can also achieve the same effect by having an elite DL obviously. Games are won in the trenches. If your front 4 alone make hard to run on and the back 7 are athletic and make every passing window small then you'll have success more often than not.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 12-11-2021, 08:51 PM   #5
Pro

If I have a team that I took over awhile back, I play 335. To me, 335 is the way to go. I just started a Houston dynasty and moved them to the BIG XII. My sliders have me beating the teams I should and losing to the much better teams. However, the 335 ain't working. Relying on 425. I have read in quite a few places that zone is broken in this game.

Now, I need help with recruiting. If you add a player and he isn't up to your standards, do you remove him and get another? I feel like I do recruiting best I can, but that ain't saying much. I am pretty good on offense, but I want to attempt to get as close as I can to being a defensive genius.

What about defensive controls? Do you always base align? When to pinch? When to crash? When to spread the line or play LBs in zone?
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »