Home

Managing Expectations

This is a discussion on Managing Expectations within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2022, 08:38 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Managing Expectations

Hi guys,

Long time chiser, NCAA lover, Revamped adorer.

There's so many things we can be excited for in next years NCAA release.

Is it wrong to think that the devs will just screw this up like Madden and it'll be focused on Ultimate Team. Bare dynasty mode with no depth. An engine that doesn't make it feel like football. Or that there will be the missing elements of creating an in depth experience(IE. Franchise in madden)

Should we just manage expectations instead of hoping it'll be what we want it to be?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2022, 09:56 PM   #2
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Managing Expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovac1989
Hi guys,

Is it wrong to think that the devs will just screw this up like Madden and it'll be focused on Ultimate Team. Bare dynasty mode with no depth. An engine that doesn't make it feel like football. Or that there will be the missing elements of creating an in depth experience(IE. Franchise in madden)

Should we just manage expectations instead of hoping it'll be what we want it to be?
Haven't had a new college game in 9 years. Unless the game plays like 10 Yard Fight, then it really ain't Gon matter for me lol.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:50 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

I will be fine as long as it has what they left with and a bit more. They obviously will need playoffs and the ability to increase teams or possibly go back to the other format.

transfer portal

still allow to edit players

move teams to conference like before.

an improved coaching carousel since the last one went by prestige only and never had actual interview process.

Have those and I am good, I simmed and built teams up majority of the time. I loved the coach feature since the gameplay was too easy and I had to restrict myself due to the bugs in cpu coverage. Game also had that automatic strip fumble feature one year.
Old 07-12-2022, 06:25 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 19

for the first release
I'd be satisfied if it plays like and has the same features as NCAA 14 with updated conferences, teams, uniforms, a customizable playoff format, with updated graphics and animations.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:46 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

The gameplay will have be identical to Madden with some slight tweaks to be more like the college game. I'm not worried there.

Dynasty Mode has me slightly worried, but not all that much. The NCAA games never had truly deep dynasty modes. NCAA 14 actually has a pretty shallow dynasty mode overall, it just offered good customization with the custom conferences and Team Builder.

Overall, though, the actual dynasty experience was not very engaging. In the preseason you set your schedule, setup the recruiting board, and redshirt players. None of those steps were complex.

During the season you played your games, obviously. Outside of the games you had a very streamlined recruiting process that often had you make simple point tweaks week to week and nothing more.

That's it. That's all there was to the mode during the actual season. You didn't practice or develop players. Recruiting was not engaging at all.

You literally played your games and tweaked point allocations over the span of 5 minutes and were on to the next game.

There wasn't much to make the world feel alive either. Sure, we had the headlines each week like "Trojans fall at home to Stanford" and that was accompanied by a box score, but the world hardly felt alive because of that.

The coaching carousel and the custom conferences is what made the mode feel deeper than it was, but even those systems were very simple. You couldn't add new conferences nor delete any entirely.

The coach carousel was a cool idea, but was essentially and RNG machine that wasn't entirely polished and had issues.

With the new game I expect the in-season activities will be at least as deep considering NCAA 14 had the bare minimum. I'm desperately hoping recruiting is much more engaging, however. I also expect weekly practice and game planning may make it's way over from Madden which will be a nice touch.

My worry is will we have the customization 14 had, and hopefully more. And will we have a more polished variant of the coaching carousel with more depth and logic behind it.

If the answers to those are yes, then I think that's fine for year 1. If not, I will probably be somewhat disappointed, honestly.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2022, 09:53 AM   #6
Rookie

nflman2033's Arena

OVR: 1

Yes, manage expectations. 1st year back is already assured that something will be missing that we would have expected based on last version. At this point I am betting it will be customization. But as others have said give me madden engine tweaked for the college game and any version of recruiting that has ever been in a NCAA game, and I'll be happy for the season.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:46 AM   #7
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovac1989
Hi guys,

There's nothing wrong with hoping for the best. That's what I'm doing. However, I'm also bracing myself. I can pretty much guarantee that it will play like Madden, with maybe a few tweaks to make it feel a little more like the college game. For me, that means the on-field gameplay will be pretty close to unplayable. I can't stand Madden's gameplay. I pray that I'm wrong, but I've already made peace with the fact that the gameplay will most likely be unsatisfying for me.

But I am hoping that there's less emphasis on an Ultimate Team style mode and much more attention given to fleshing out a really fun Dynasty mode. If they can do that, and I can have fun playing the Head Coach/Athletic Director role with my favorite school, then I'll be pretty happy.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:55 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Gameplay I'm not too worried about. I didn't enjoy any of the Maddens in the xbox 360 era but still enjoyed NCAA. I eventually want more sim realistic gameplay but I'm pretty confident it will be fun to play.

I want to manage my expectations for everything else though. Just with Madden's history of features disappearing from one generation to another and the more extensive time off this time around, I think a lot of areas might take a step back from the last game

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »