Home

Replaying FIFA 08 in anticipation for FIFA 09

This is a discussion on Replaying FIFA 08 in anticipation for FIFA 09 within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
87% L*m*ny Fr*sh

blacklover's Arena

OVR: 8
Replaying FIFA 08 in anticipation for FIFA 09

After reading all the great info here regarding FIFA 09 I popped 08 back in to the 360. Had not played it for many many months. In the interim as far as futbol games go I have played PES08 and EURO 08. Both games are okay but still lacking in many areas we all know about.

Revisiting FIFA 08 has been interesting though. 6 matches played after loading the FEB 2008 roster file again.

My number one complaint about gameplay (free flowing gameplay) is how a re-directed or change of possession knock always goes directly to the feet of a player who is on the run or standing in space. I have yet to see one single ball fall into a 50-50 situation away from anyone which would result in a chase for possession. Which we all know happens incredibly frequently in all futbol matches. What the lack of balls knocked to nobody does is create artificial "rush attacks" (and 90% of the time it's in the CPU's favor when this happens) where the person who just played the ball is heading the wrong direction and has to then fight to catch up to the sudden immediate possession switch.

Euro 08 handled this a bit better but there are still issues with too many balls played directly to a players feet off of random normally uncontrollable touches of the ball.

For example, the keeper hoofs it upfield just clearing the halfway line (never to the opposing penalty area or anywhere as long or far as real keepers can), the CPU heads it directly to the feet of a runing CF/ST and it's off to the races. Once or twice a game? Ok that would be fine. 5-6 times a half? No. Now of course you can angle your boots upfield away from players but if it does not go out of bounds it always goes to a player or set of players waiting exactly at the landing point.

Another example would be any long ball played upfield from anywhere near your own penalty area that goes right to players standing waiting for it.

It just happens too frequently in the game.

Second thing I wish for is a return to a free kick meter or something that provides more feedback than the hit it and hope method currently in all futbol games. I can't remember which FIFA had the ball meter (99?) that you could set the spin on and had some sort of goal to achieve to get the ball on target. This needs to return. Just some meter points to try to hit that would equate to a well struck free kick. It certainly doesn't have to go in every time you hit it perfectly but it could be excitingly parried away by the keeper due to how well struck it was. This way at least you would have some sort of skill based routine to work with to get your results.

All the news for FIFA 09 sounds good so far except the manager mode bits.

Ok back to playing FIFA 08 Euro 08 and PES 08.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
87% L*m*ny Fr*sh

blacklover's Arena

Re: Replaying FIFA 08 in anticipation for FIFA 09

alright disregard the first portion of the post above.

Just had a go with Euro 08. 3 matches as a matter of fact and it's almost completely absent. I only saw it happen a few times. Just like it should.

So now hopes are just as high for FIFA 09 and it's all down to playing Euro 08 the next two months, no need to play FIFA 08.

I still do wish the second part of the above post would be in FIFA 09.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

just played 10 minutes world class. ajax-me vs psv..

was able to draw 10 fouls...TEN!

won 4-3

i have this game for ps3 and pes 2008 for ps2 and find fifa slightly better.

if they got rid of the slowness in terms of passing, pass reception and skill moves, 09 will be amazing.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 08-04-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
87% L*m*ny Fr*sh

blacklover's Arena

Very nice. Did you pick up Euro 08?

I kept on swapping out FIFA 08 and Euro 08 for about 2 more hours and hands down Euro 08 is a massive improvement on 08. Only problem is I enjoy club futbol way more than National side action. So that is what keeps pulling me back to FIFA 08 or Champions League, but Euro 08 has the best gameplay just in terms of the CPU controlled players for your team and the computers doing much more logical things on the pitch. The ball goes to more unexpected places in Euro 08 as well. Still not enough, but a significant improvement over FIFA 08.

One interesting thing I noticed, I recall reading in the FIFA 09 dev interview here that handballs were still not implemented. I had one in a game of FIFA 08. Just outside of my area the CPU took a shot that hit my player above the waist and the whistle was blown and they were awarded a free kick. There was never any indication of what happened but it clearly appeared to be a handball situation that was called properly.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
AB>

Moses Shuttlesworth's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklover
One interesting thing I noticed, I recall reading in the FIFA 09 dev interview here that handballs were still not implemented. I had one in a game of FIFA 08. Just outside of my area the CPU took a shot that hit my player above the waist and the whistle was blown and they were awarded a free kick. There was never any indication of what happened but it clearly appeared to be a handball situation that was called properly.
Wow, I never noticed an actual handball call. I should be more alert. Often times I hear the whistle but have no idea what happened. lol.

I have Euro 08. I think it's a pretty big improvement from FIFA, but still has those major issues that make me want me punch a wall.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 10

There are no handballs in FIFA 08 nor will there be any in FIFA 09.
RIP #21

DC United 2008 US Open Cup Champions
Old 08-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #7
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

k i've been playing this game a bit the last two days and it's extremely frustrating...

the players just react to the ball so damn poorly.

i almost threw my controller through the screen...

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 08-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #8
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklover
I kept on swapping out FIFA 08 and Euro 08 for about 2 more hours and hands down Euro 08 is a massive improvement on 08. Only problem is I enjoy club futbol way more than National side action. So that is what keeps pulling me back to FIFA 08 or Champions League, but Euro 08 has the best gameplay just in terms of the CPU controlled players for your team and the computers doing much more logical things on the pitch. The ball goes to more unexpected places in Euro 08 as well. Still not enough, but a significant improvement over FIFA 08.

I've been playing FIFA a good deal lately and I have to agree with you here. My brother-in-law was at my place over the weekend (he owns Euro but not FIFA). We played several games of Euro before he asked to try FIFA after listening to me talk up the good stuff we've heard (and seen for some of us) about 09. He was shocked at the differences between the two, mostly in terms of player control & responsiveness.

Bottom line is, if Euro hadn't made such a positive strides in several key gameplay areas, I'd be a whole lot more skeptical about FIFA 09. But as it stands, it's looking like it will be something special...

Of course, I have some unfinished business with 08, as I've only managed one EPL title in my first two seasons with Arsenal while crashing out of all cup competitions (even lost the Community Shield on penalties). I have one game left in my third season -- I trail Chelsea by one point for the top spot with Manchester City coming to the Emirates. I forgot to see who the Blues are playing, but I have to hope for a loss or draw while I take care of business. Then it's on to trying to secure the services of Nasri & Xabi Alonso...

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »