Home

Community Q&A: FIFA 09

This is a discussion on Community Q&A: FIFA 09 within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Community Q&A: FIFA 09

So obviously I know this is a death trap, but I feel like at OS, we got to go the extra mile for you psychos since you're so f'ing passionate about your sports video games. So basically what I'm doing is starting threads for the various games I've played over the last week, and this is one of them.

Also I had therizing send me some questions before I left. I actually answered most of them Thursday night, and PM'ed them to him, but I guess he hasn't been around, so those questions and responses are below. Keep it to more gameplay-related questions since that was on display, sorry Manager mode fans!

1. How recent is the build you are playing? When I attended the event at the end of July, the build I was playing was 6 weeks old. In fact it wasn't even considered a Beta. Maybe even pre-Alpha.

-The build I played was 3 weeks old.

2. Are you noticing an increased number of fouls/free kicks? In the build I played the collisions were prevalent, but the fouls were rarely called. I have mentioned this to the developers.

-I saw more ticky-tack fouls. It was also nice to see guys getting cards even after advantage was played. The collisions are probably still a bit too prevalent in terms of guys falling down without anything being called, but it definitely seems more tuned than it was in Euro.

3. What if any changes have been made to manager mode?

-Just toyed with gameplay this time around, sorry.

4. Talk about your thoughts on the player positioning system. Do your CPU teammates find proper spaces?

I felt they were finding the right spaces. It was also nice to see that when I went in and toyed with the new sliders they would come back and support me well when I wanted to do short passes, but would leave me more when I wanted to play more of a bang-ball style if I tweaked the sliders in that direction.

5. What are your thoughts on the reactions of your CPU teammates?

-Could you be more specific in your question?

6. In the build I played the developers mentioned that the new Collision system had since been tweaked to reduce the number of players that were falling down. How realistic does the system appear to you?

-So I wish I could compare it to the earlier build but obviously I can't. I would say that it doesn't seem like guys are just falling down after any tackle, but it seems to be that if you take out someone's lead foot in some way then most likely they're going down. If you take out the back leg they seemed to stumble but stay up more etc. It definitely feels more realistic and in general it's pretty cool how the players legs now actually seem to be more like HUMAN legs so the players react like a human would depending on how they're tackled -- it's not so static.

7. The developers were pretty tight lipped about anything regarding online play(pending Leipzig announcements). Could you check the menu to see if there are any new Gameplay modes other than the new 10v10?

-Didn't get the chance, sorry. But hey Leipzig is only like a week away now so it's coming soon I guess.

8. What are your thoughts on the goal keeper mechanics?

-I really like how the goalies now can get up and immediately start going in a new direction, so that leads to not so many goals where your goalie is laying on his arse while another player puts it into the open net. Also the goalie saves seem to look more natural, and now since the goalies seem to have SPINES (I know crazy right?) they will reach back to make saves when diving for one etc -- they aren't just all straight arrows. I still saw the goalies mostly doing the side step to get from one side of the net to another, which slowed them down from getting across quickly from post to post for example -- until the goalies would make the final lunge/dive for the ball. So in a way they seem more organic, but still probably aren't quite there in terms of acting really smart and being completely dynamic. I definitely noticed the new goalie animations though.

9. What are your thoughts on the new ball physics?

-So I'd still like to see more bouncing balls etc. and obviously the dream is to play on a chewed up field, or on a crappy field in a lower league and see the ball bouncing around and all that stuff, but I don't really see stuff like that here. The ball physics in terms of how the ball is coming off the post looked pretty good. What other examples are you looking for, so I could be more specific?

10. In the build I played there were three choices for game speed.

Slow-FIFA 08 Pace
Default- Euro 2008
Fast- didn't try it.

David Rutter told me that barring anything drastic happening it would stay this way. Are the options still there?

-Yep, those are the same.

11. If you get a chance to use the Custom team tactics, I'd like to get your thoughts on how responsive you think they are.

-The menus are a bit laggy, but I really like where they are going with them from a gameplay perspective. It's especially nice you'll be able to upload tactics to the EA Locker, so if you tweak out the whole EPL and then upload the tactics to an EA Locker, people can DL them. I forget what the limit is on the amount of tactics you can save, but it's definitely enough so you can do the whole EPL if you wanted.

12. What are your thoughts on the fatigue system?

-Didn't really notice, want to elaborate and then maybe I can talk about it?

13. What are your thoughts on the speed/pace of the ball?

-Pace felt good. It seems to be about the same as it was in Euro which I didn't have much issues with then. Did people think it was too slow or too fast in Euro?

14. Will we as Community Leaders be able to play an updated version of the game to post comments prior to release?

-Don't think there is going to be another event before release, at least not for the Comm Leaders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Community Q&A: FIFA 09

Thanks Chase! Wasn't sure if you wanted me to post the Q&A.

With regards to your follow up questions:

-With respect to the Reactions of the CPU teammates, I was referring specifically to the defenders. We all know that last year they were "less than proactive". Did they seem to be a little more reactive this year as opposed to standing around like last year?

-In regards to ball physics, I was referring specifically to the curve and bounce of the ball. Do they seem believable and if you had a chance to play in the rain or the snow were the physics affected?

-Regarding fatigue I was wondering if you brought on a substitute late in the game was there a noticeable difference in pace between the sub and the players that have played the entire game to that point.

Thanks again Chase.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Community Q&A: FIFA 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
Thanks Chase! Wasn't sure if you wanted me to post the Q&A.

With regards to your follow up questions:

-With respect to the Reactions of the CPU teammates, I was referring specifically to the defenders. We all know that last year they were "less than proactive". Did they seem to be a little more reactive this year as opposed to standing around like last year?

-In regards to ball physics, I was referring specifically to the curve and bounce of the ball. Do they seem believable and if you had a chance to play in the rain or the snow were the physics affected?

-Regarding fatigue I was wondering if you brought on a substitute late in the game was there a noticeable difference in pace between the sub and the players that have played the entire game to that point.

Thanks again Chase.
Yea I'll speak about it more in my preview, but the defenders now definitely seem to be more proactive. The biggest thing was the desperation attempts the defenders will automatically make now. So if a ball comes off the post and is just hanging there the defender will automatically try to do whatever possible to get the ball out of danger.

Yea the ball was really skipping and taking off in the rain. Also one of my goals was great because it curved right into the top corner, in a very realistic manner -- at least when I saw it on replay. Not sure overall how much it will look better, but there was at least one good instance.

The games were short so I really wasn't looking to sub much. The one time I subbed for an injury was for a defender, so yea, sorry there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »