Home

***Official FIFA 09 Impressions Thread***

This is a discussion on ***Official FIFA 09 Impressions Thread*** within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2008, 02:16 AM   #49
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: ***Official FIFA 09 Impressions Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerbear
3) Do your defenders come up for corners? This is never done properly. The centre backs are NEVER in the box, they are always near the half-way line. What good is that?
No they don't...well not often enough, it seems to be random. I'm playing as Manchester Utd and for the majority of my corners Ferdinand and Vidic are back at the half way, and Wes Brown is near the outer edge of the box (for a short corner). Occasionally Vidic is there, but never both let alone all three defenders. I can't find a specific option to bring them up in the team mgt/tactics but i've tried editing their attack rates to High, and their attacking arrows to direct them towards goal but they still don't come up for corners. I still have players like Nani (LW) and Scholes (CAM) in the box.

HOWEVER, what you can do is once you've won the corner, pause the game go into Squad and sub your CBs for your shorter AMs and CFs (or Wingers). I sub Ferdinand into LW and Vidic into AM and now both players are in the box along with Berbatov!!! Much better than having the likes of Nani and Scholes for sure. But the issue here is that now Scholes and Nani are at the half-way, and you have to pause the game again to re-replace them into their normal positions and back again for the next corner and so on. The other issue is that continuously pausing the game online may not be feasile if you get a limited amount of pauses per game only.

Just a few hours ago i scored a goal with David Tarka in my Perth Glory manager mode on a corner...he's a CB in my lineup but i moved him to CF for the corner and he won the header at the six-yard box. I don't think the game recognises it as a "defender" scoring the goal though when you put him in the forward line, because i didn't get the "Score with a defender" achievement, even though his listed position is a CB.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:21 AM   #50
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by demencia_total
I recently started Be A Pro mode offline with a created player (you can choose an existing one too). You start with the reserve team, playing against other reserve squads, and depending on how well you play, you get promoted to captain of the reserve squad, and then get a tryout for the 1st team. If you do well, you get a place in the first squad (it took me like 7 matches). If you get promoted to captain of the first squad, you get to edit your team's tactics, so that's something to look forward to. You also have the option to play the matches in multiplayer mode (local multiplayer, thought it was 10 vs 10), but haven't tried it yet, will do later and post impressions if no one else does.
In that case it depends who you choose...i started with Nicky Carle and i'm already playing first team games and taking all FKs and right side corners, like he does in real life for Crystal Palace.

That's a great thing to see, for those who start with the likes of either Rooney or Ronaldo for example, they shouldn't be forced to play in reserve matches (like in UEFA Euro 2008), so its good to see EA recognise that.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:24 AM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerbear
Just a couple of questions:

1) Do you see many penalties awarded? In 08 I probably had less than 10 in all the time I played it.

2) Are 3rd kits available from the get-go or do I have to do like 507 tasks to get enough points?

3) Do your defenders come up for corners? This is never done properly. The centre backs are NEVER in the box, they are always near the half-way line. What good is that?

1) Bought Fifa yesterday, I played about 10 games and have seen 2 penalties, one awarded against me and one against the CPU (both missed )... Generally speaking there are more fouls than 08, so it's easier to draw a penalty... I had two or three other unawarded fouls that could have been penalties...

2) 3rd kits are available immediately for the best teams (so far I have seen 3rd kits from Chelsea, Newcastel, Tottenham and AC Milan, I played with Arsenal too but don't remind the gunners having a 3rd kit)

3) I might be wrong but centre backs often are in the box durnig corners... didn't pay much attention to this feature, though...
Once I saw my goalkeeper in the box ( I was down 0-1 in the injury time...)

Last edited by Beetlebum; 10-04-2008 at 06:33 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2008, 06:35 AM   #52
No Way

demencia_total's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcutta
In that case it depends who you choose...i started with Nicky Carle and i'm already playing first team games and taking all FKs and right side corners, like he does in real life for Crystal Palace.

That's a great thing to see, for those who start with the likes of either Rooney or Ronaldo for example, they shouldn't be forced to play in reserve matches (like in UEFA Euro 2008), so its good to see EA recognise that.
Yep, it's pretty cool. And one thing I forgot is that if you start with a created player, you still play with the reserve team and the first team. Not sure if that stops eventually, but there seems to be different levels of status within the club.

Oh, and the uploading clips feature is not working for PS3 neither, so yeah, sucks.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #53
Rookie

MBash721's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlebum
2) 3rd kits are available immediately for the best teams (so far I have seen 3rd kits from Chelsea, Newcastel, Tottenham and AC Milan, I played with Arsenal too but don't remind the gunners having a 3rd kit)
Do you know if Juventus has their gold 3rd kits available?

Old 10-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBash721
Do you know if Juventus has their gold 3rd kits available?
yes it's available...
Old 10-04-2008, 09:49 PM   #55
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlebum
yes it's available...
The Be a Pro mode Seasons is cool, but I just wish it was longer, so you can really see your player grow in a pro and even retire. I just feel doing four seasons isn't enough.
Off topic, everytime I look at your name I think of that Blur song *goes and listens to it*.

Last edited by RoyceDa59; 10-04-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2008, 11:27 PM   #56
MVP

I was able to score a goal with a defender on a corner yesterday w/o using the 'pause and sub' technique. Problem was it was my RB, Pablo Zabaleta who was in the box (just inside the box too, totally unmarked) while Richard Dunne, Micah Richards and my taller fullback Michael Ball all stayed back at the half way line, while Vincent Kompany was also outside the box. SWP however was in the box ...Robinho probably would have been too if he wasn't the CK taker.

Nice powerful header though, i really only won it because it was on Semi-Pro. All the difficulty levels, at least Amateur/Semi-Pro/Pro seem to be much easier than their corresponding levels last year...most of us should regulars should be comfortable immediately starting on Professional as soon as you get the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »