Home

Can anyone 'maturely & thoughtfully' compare to PES?

This is a discussion on Can anyone 'maturely & thoughtfully' compare to PES? within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15
Can anyone 'maturely & thoughtfully' compare to PES?

I liked PES so much, I bought it early by ordering it from sendit.com, in Ireland I think.

However, while I really love the PES series, I can't say it was a huge leap from previous iterations. I am 'jonesing' for a new game and would love for it to be a soccer game since that's the only game one of my buddies will play (he's from England).

So, please, someone, anyone, everyone... give a nice comparison between the games.

Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Can anyone 'maturely & thoughtfully' compare to PES?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slthree
I liked PES so much, I bought it early by ordering it from sendit.com, in Ireland I think.

However, while I really love the PES series, I can't say it was a huge leap from previous iterations. I am 'jonesing' for a new game and would love for it to be a soccer game since that's the only game one of my buddies will play (he's from England).

So, please, someone, anyone, everyone... give a nice comparison between the games.

Thanks
If you have an xbox 360 you can try a demo of both.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:56 AM   #3
MVP

slthree's Arena

I have a PS3 and I have PES for that but I have avoided any demos of sports games because they are so different when the final product comes out.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:04 AM   #4
Banned

PodSquad's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slthree

Thanks

Just play the demos. I used to be the biggest ProEvo fanboy, but I cant even begin to justify why their next gen games lack so much. Its basically the PS2 gameplay with slightly nicer graphics.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:10 AM   #5
Don't Trust Influencers

ChubbyBanana's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSquad
Just play the demos. I used to be the biggest ProEvo fanboy, but I cant even begin to justify why their next gen games lack so much. Its basically the PS2 gameplay with slightly nicer graphics.
I will echo this. Although the demo won't have as many teams or let you play all the modes like manager mode, etc, the gameplay will pretty much stay the same from the Demo to the Full Release.

Give it a try. I tried PES 09 last week and it just wasn't for me. Then again, I've been a longtime FIFA Fan, so it was a little hard for me to get used to the different styles of gameplay.

I suppose if I gave it a solid week I would probably get used to it.

Just my two cents.

Twitch Stream
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2008, 05:58 AM   #6
*n th* Fl*w*rs

southernbelle's Arena

OVR: 16

i will take a crack at it... i am an american gamer living in London so i face the PES-FIFA debate ever year. i think i am in as good a position as any to give comments on them as i do not have any real allegiance. as way of background, i was a PES/Winning Eleven addict on PS2. when i went next GEN i played both (last year). really, i think that last years PES had better gameplay, but not as much bells and whistles. and all my mates here think that FIFA is awful.

i do not have PES 09 yet, but i can comment on FIFA 2009. this game basically plays as good, if not better, game of football than any PES, at a much slower pace (though you can speed it up). i am not saying that FIFA is better than PES, just saying that this years FIFA is the best football i have played. PES 2009 may well be light years better, we will see.

what do i mean by the best game of football? the ball physics are amazing, the player physics are outstanding, and the teamwork bit is great.

two examples i like to give are

cheslea and their star drogba. when you play against chelsea, their positioning and ball control is hard to contend with. it feels like you are really playing agaisnt chelsea, not just the CPU with chelsea rosters. they kick it around, testing the d, crossing in when cole or drogba get free... and ballack is annoying how smart of a player he is... always in the right place at the right time. then there is drogba... he is a beast to deal with, a real target man. you need to double team him at times - always have a body on him. but still, he gets the ball and its hard to get it off him. his size and strength really show through.

arsenal and walcott... walcott has wheels like you would not believe. but, speed alone does not mean dominance. walcott is weak, so if a defender locks up with him, he loses every time.

to me, its these nuances that make the game so much fun. add to that responsive skill moves and you have a fun game of football.

but, the manager mode is not great, particularly if you are a master league vet.

i look forward to buying PES and seeing the differences. but, if you can afford it in these tough times, give FIFA a try. i really think this is the year to give it a go....

Last edited by southernbelle; 10-15-2008 at 09:51 AM. Reason: just wanted to point out that i have had the full version of fifa since Oct 3rd
Old 10-15-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

Just based on the demos, both games seem really improved last year. I was disappointed in both last year, although I had fun playing PES 08.

I really did not like Fifa 08 last year and regret buying it, but the improvements so far in 09 seem impressive.

PES 09 does feel much improved with the AI, but it still in ways feels like a last-gen game. Although that isn't always a bad thing, sometimes the familiar tried-and-true gameplay is a good thing, like putting on an old pair of sneakers that just "feel right".

Next-gen isn't always "better" in my opinion. I felt 08 was a step back in many ways. I've not been a big EA fan in the past, but they have really stepped up improvements on their games and have really listened to fans. They won me over with NHL 09, and I am looking forward to Fifa 09 as well.

We don't get PES09 here in the US until at least November I think, so I won't even have it for awhile. I will likely pick up both, as I personally enjoy both games, as they have totally different things to offer.

Ultimately, each game will be better than their previous versions, and that is a good thing for us.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #8
MVP

slthree's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle

i do not have PES 09 yet, but i can comment on FIFA 2009. this game basically plays as good, if not better, game of football than any PES, at a much slower pace (though you can speed it up). i am not saying that FIFA is better than PES, just saying that this years FIFA is the best football i have played. PES 2009 may well be light years better, we will see.

what do i mean by the best game of football? the ball physics are amazing, the player physics are outstanding, and the teamwork bit is great.

two examples i like to give are

cheslea and their star drogba. when you play against chelsea, their positioning and ball control is hard to contend with. it feels like you are really playing agaisnt chelsea, not just the CPU with chelsea rosters. they kick it around, testing the d, crossing in when cole or drogba get free... and ballack is annoying how smart of a player he is... always in the right place at the right time. then there is drogba... he is a beast to deal with, a real target man. you need to double team him at times - always have a body on him. but still, he gets the ball and its hard to get it off him. his size and strength really show through.

arsenal and walcott... walcott has wheels like you would not believe. but, speed alone does not mean dominance. walcott is weak, so if a defender locks up with him, he loses every time.

to me, its these nuances that make the game so much fun. add to that responsive skill moves and you have a fun game of football
This sounds promising indeed, with star players having their respective abilities highlighted. The teamwork aspect is also interesting to me.

Thank you very much for responding.

I hope Fifa has a "mark man" setting. It does not work well in PES

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »