Home

Custom Tactics for Realistic Gameplay

This is a discussion on Custom Tactics for Realistic Gameplay within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #33
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Custom Tactics for Realistic Gameplay

abar you are right on those 2 observations....

me and some guys on the ea forums are testing those

but we found that the kick from the keeper can be eliminated if you just wait until your players get down field after a shot

the long ball over the top can be achieved if your foward has pace, or position, you have the same % of getting it as you have now on default

but we are trying to find more middle ground and its still early.....
Old 10-22-2008, 06:01 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 17

CarnalNirvana,

Moving the formations back is not the answer. Sorry but if you watched any games over this last week and the CL games, you would see that most teams push forward. Midfield play isn't really in the midfield. It's from about the 30 yard line to the midfield line.

Everton v Arsenal
In last weekend's game, Everton got the ball forward and tried to break down the back four.

I know what you are trying to do but it doesn't work within the AI framework. It's like having too many pass for over 10 yards in Madden, and changing the QB accuracy sliders to fix it. You aren't fixing the right thing.

Soccer while it may not seem like it, is a highly up and down game. Yes in some games, one team dominates possession. But you still have to give the other team some advantage in scoring goals.

I suggest you start your own thread because the stuff you are trying to do it outside the framework of messing with the tactic sliders.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:22 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 4

I don't know JRod, I think he's on to something. The vids he posted are definitely more realistic than what I've been seeing so far from the CPU. Granted, there wasn't a ton of up and down, but the pace was definitely realistic (perhaps you need to increase the game time to see more shots??). There were opportunities for long balls, but in general, the CPU took what he gave him, and when nothing was there, it passed it around, probing for an opening. He's definitely on the right track with the formation adjustment
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #36
MVP

No football team plays like that, however. Like I said, after watching the games today, Liverpool and At. Madrid probed with long balls and bad passes. They probed and that's what is important.

You do not want the CPU always passing it back, simply because it doesn't happen. Now I want minnows to keep it more but that's not the inherent problem with FIFA 09.

The problem is high accuracy in shooting and passing. Too many teams and players make great passes. Many people would probably turn off the game if it captured the sloppy side of football.

I think people are making the game into what they want to see, instead of what is actually on the pitch.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #37
All Star

poster's Arena

OVR: 23

I like using the tactics depending on team skill, but when playing against a power team I still have lots of trouble on WC level. I love playing 15 minute halves, but teams like man U will put up 30-35 shots a game. They always get behind my guys on breakaways no matter what I do. I can barely get off 10 shots a game. I know part of the reason is my skill, but any tips from anyone? I am thinking I just have to live with 10 minute halves this year.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:19 PM   #38
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34

So, basically...should we disregard what was put in the original post?
Old 10-28-2008, 06:59 PM   #39
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
I like using the tactics depending on team skill, but when playing against a power team I still have lots of trouble on WC level. I love playing 15 minute halves, but teams like man U will put up 30-35 shots a game. They always get behind my guys on breakaways no matter what I do. I can barely get off 10 shots a game. I know part of the reason is my skill, but any tips from anyone? I am thinking I just have to live with 10 minute halves this year.

Well one I suggest you head over to soccernet.com and look at shot totals. They are higher than people realize.

Here's a bit tip, lay of the shoulder tackle button. Use it selectively, to harass and when a player squares up on you. If the defender is past you, just use sprint to catch up.

It's more effective to lay off the offense. If you just run and chase, that will leave huge holes in your defense. Now, if you are a WE player, it will take you a while to relearn FIFA's system. Running and chasing will get you into trouble. Look for players making runs and use the X button to have the CPU mark the player with the ball, while you stay with the player on the run.

Remember to hold that line. Remember the offside rule and if you are all bent out of shape, that will create a lot of space.

Finally, I play to take away space and try to get in front of players. I love to get in front of cross and shots.

It's not as hard as people make it out to be but I think a fair challange.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #40
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
So, basically...should we disregard what was put in the original post?

It helps but it's hard to change all teams to that style. It's not like changing run/pass ratios in NCAA. A lot more clicks!

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »