Home

Custom Tactics for Realistic Gameplay

This is a discussion on Custom Tactics for Realistic Gameplay within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: Custom Tactics for Realistic Gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
Meh. I guess I'll just stick with the default. Unless Jrod can confirm this unlimitless thing is real without hitch, it's default stuff for me.
Huh? Confirm. I already told you what to do. Why do I need to confirm and is already confirmed. Test it out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #66
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod
Huh? Confirm. I already told you what to do. Why do I need to confirm and is already confirmed. Test it out.
Alright, alright. Don't kick me in the nuts, man. I just wanted to make sure that was all I had to do and if you could supply us with tactics for all these teams.

Jesus Christmas.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #67
All Star

poster's Arena

OVR: 23

LOL

JRod, how are things going with your project, do you like how the teams plays after trying it for a bit? Been too busy to start doing this although I have played a couple of play now games trying some things.

For me, I think only a couple of tactics need tweaking based on bluchamps suggestions. I don't have those changes in front of me but aggression, build up speed, and passing were the ones. Anything where he said he wasn't exactly sure, I feel should stay the way FIFA has them.

In saying that the problem for me is that I need to write all of these individual team tactics down before even starting as once I apply the generic default tactic, all of what I want kept goes away. I don't know enough about the teams to use my own judgment.

I know from reading the EA FIFA guides Michael and Brian put up, it says the tactics you set for your team will affect how the players on your team that you are not controlling will play (the other 10 (9 really) guys you are not controlling).

When using your formula and playing a minnow team for example, do you find that changing your team tactics to reflect how the minnow team plays makes your team play stupid or act like they shouldn't?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #68
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvava
matt10

my finding and theory is...

that the cpu is programed to play a beautiful game but the formation setup is what is creating all the problems.

if you looked at the formations you will see that the mid fielders and strikers are positioned to be on our side of the pitch. this governs their positioning and movements ( obvious i know) well in real football players attack as a unit and defend as a unit but in the game players attack when they have posession and retreat to a specific position after the ball has left their immediate location.

what i did is pull back all those colored dots that govern their position....

the cpu mid fielders are on the half way line and the strikers are barely across the half way line in our half.

and for my team its the same

first this eliminates most of the space between players creating alot of one touch passing

no need for the pressure button since your players are in your half and the cpu is coming to you.... and the cpu will pass once a player is in front of them ( and pass back alot)

the cpu will have to unlock your defense and you will have to unlock theirs leading to less shots since you will be most likely starting further back and have the whole pitch to travel as will they......

there are some draw backs to this:

1. when editing formations EA thinks that the position ST can only be positioned in the box( oh well) so if you pull that blue dot back you will have to change it to LF CF RF thus losing a point on their overall

2. you will NOT and i repeat NOT be able to keep the original diamond or whatever shape the mid field came originally set up as when pulling the positions back ... BUT this does not mean anything since players effectiveness is not determined by this shape.

3. the game will seem harder since you will have to pass back often since the mid field will be crowded you may barely get 5 shots on goal in 9 min halves

4. a lot of fouls since the players are closer

Positives IMO

1. your whole teams defends since they will return to your side of the pitch facing the cpu NOT RETREATING

2. no need to mash the pressure button if you set your PRESSURE TACTIC to medium or high your team will engage the cpu at mid field WITH OUT RETREATING ( its beautiful)

3. there will always be people defending in your box and theirs AND I AM NOT JOKING THE CPU MAY NEVER SCORE A BS GOAL again it will be a result of bad defense or clearance.

i need testers lets work to see if we can make this game play better .......
Im quoting carna here because I believe the game can be saved with his formation methods.

After trying pretty much everything - custom tactics - i tried the formation editing that carna inputted.

While the game still had some elements of 'route-one' football, there were the occasions in which the cpu would pass the ball back when needed. Not only were attacks built up from both sides - but the ai runs were improved and noticeable that your teammates were really trying to get open.

Shots of course were diminished into the single digits - this was on 15 mins WC - which also resulted in no goals scored.

So, my suggestion, to just see if there is still a glimmer of hope for this 'sim':

1. Leave custom tactics alone, maybe editing aggression as Carna mentioned in a diferent thread from default to 30/40 for higher ranked/mid tabler,lowers.

2. Edit formations, probably best to just use base 4-4-2, 4-5-1 etc as there are only 28 slots available, right?

Check Carna's videos out:

http://hosted.filefront.com/sportsguru/

3. Play manual everything - except for Shooting (semi) for me.

4. Play in Broadcast cam - what a different looking game when you do this, get used to the angles though (which is why I do shooting semi).

Thank you Carna for finding this theory and applying it. When I see the CPU play somewhat close to what they are supposed to, I get excited. I wish it were easier to modify the acc/sprint spd as Blu mentions in his thread - I know deep down I might actually embark on that journey combined with these formation edits. Imagine what an improvement that could possibly be.

Btw, Riz - fouls have increased a bit more with these tweaks (formation), not by much so no false hopes there buddy. I figure since the space has been minimized there is more chance for aggression to be taken out.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #69
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
Im quoting carna here because I believe the game can be saved with his formation methods.

After trying pretty much everything - custom tactics - i tried the formation editing that carna inputted.

While the game still had some elements of 'route-one' football, there were the occasions in which the cpu would pass the ball back when needed. Not only were attacks built up from both sides - but the ai runs were improved and noticeable that your teammates were really trying to get open.

Shots of course were diminished into the single digits - this was on 15 mins WC - which also resulted in no goals scored.

So, my suggestion, to just see if there is still a glimmer of hope for this 'sim':

1. Leave custom tactics alone, maybe editing aggression as Carna mentioned in a diferent thread from default to 30/40 for higher ranked/mid tabler,lowers.

2. Edit formations, probably best to just use base 4-4-2, 4-5-1 etc as there are only 28 slots available, right?

Check Carna's videos out:

http://hosted.filefront.com/sportsguru/

3. Play manual everything - except for Shooting (semi) for me.

4. Play in Broadcast cam - what a different looking game when you do this, get used to the angles though (which is why I do shooting semi).

Thank you Carna for finding this theory and applying it. When I see the CPU play somewhat close to what they are supposed to, I get excited. I wish it were easier to modify the acc/sprint spd as Blu mentions in his thread - I know deep down I might actually embark on that journey combined with these formation edits. Imagine what an improvement that could possibly be.

Btw, Riz - fouls have increased a bit more with these tweaks (formation), not by much so no false hopes there buddy. I figure since the space has been minimized there is more chance for aggression to be taken out.
I guess I can give this a shot. Can you upload the formations to your EA Locker? I'll download a couple and give it a shot.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #70
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

I could homie - ps3 playa here, you 360? or does it not matter. Let me know and I'll do it when i get outta this dungeon called my cubicle!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #71
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Well, I can now play 20 minute halves on Pro (SEMI shooting/passing, everything else MANUAL) and get a realistic amount of shots and.....................FOULS!

Well the foul numbers aren't realistic but I'm seeing enough where it's acceptable.

How did I get there?

I'm playing with my teams that I rerated/lowered their Acceleration and Sprint ratings per bluchampblogger. I went to each of those teams and lowered the shooting slider to 2. I kept everything else at default.

With the shooting slider at 2 it makes a world of difference. The CPU WILL pass the ball around more. I still see a few shots from the CPU from outside the box, they cross, early cross, and attack the middle. It's not the same attacking style every time they get the ball.

I'm seeing 12-20 shots per game per team and 12-16 fouls per game on average. I did have one game with 20!

I'm not sure if you would get the same results without lowering the sprint and acceleration ratings though because the players will move up and down the pitch too fast thus increasing the number of scoring opportunities and shots.

I had my best game as Milan against Liverpool. Lost 1-0 on a goal by the Liverpool LB(Dossena)!!!!! They went down to 10 men and I couldn't get the equalizer.

I have yet to win but, I don't feel like I've been cheesed or scripted against.

The edited teams I'm using:

Barcelona
Real Madrid
Atletico Madrid
Villareal
Juventus
Milan
Inter
Roma
Celtic
Rangers
Arsenal
Liverpool
Manchester United
Chelsea

Each team has their own slot in the Tactical changes menu. I think I'll end up editing 27 teams and leave 1 slot open for in game changes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #72
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
Well, I can now play 20 minute halves on Pro (SEMI shooting/passing, everything else MANUAL) and get a realistic amount of shots and.....................FOULS!

Well the foul numbers aren't realistic but I'm seeing enough where it's acceptable.

How did I get there?

I'm playing with my teams that I rerated/lowered their Acceleration and Sprint ratings per bluchampblogger. I went to each of those teams and lowered the shooting slider to 2. I kept everything else at default.

With the shooting slider at 2 it makes a world of difference. The CPU WILL pass the ball around more. I still see a few shots from the CPU from outside the box, they cross, early cross, and attack the middle. It's not the same attacking style every time they get the ball.

I'm seeing 12-20 shots per game per team and 12-16 fouls per game on average. I did have one game with 20!

I'm not sure if you would get the same results without lowering the sprint and acceleration ratings though because the players will move up and down the pitch too fast thus increasing the number of scoring opportunities and shots.

I had my best game as Milan against Liverpool. Lost 1-0 on a goal by the Liverpool LB(Dossena)!!!!! They went down to 10 men and I couldn't get the equalizer.

I have yet to win but, I don't feel like I've been cheesed or scripted against.

The edited teams I'm using:

Barcelona
Real Madrid
Atletico Madrid
Villareal
Juventus
Milan
Inter
Roma
Celtic
Rangers
Arsenal
Liverpool
Manchester United
Chelsea

Each team has their own slot in the Tactical changes menu. I think I'll end up editing 27 teams and leave 1 slot open for in game changes.
Just a few things on this....

I think it's hard to get realistic stats on 20 mins. You have to do extreme things like this. I don't really understand why you would want longer games since EA games usually are geared toward shorter halves.

Anyhoo...

The number of shots is related to crosses. Because of the accuracy of passing in this game, the CPU has too many weak headers. This increases the number of bad shots in the box.

There are two ways of lowering shooting. If you lower shooting then you take out the number of shots outside the box. Now this is unrealistic in my book. If you watch a lot of soccer, a lot of teams take wild shots outside of the box. It's too bad the keepers are really good because more shots should go in or lead to bad saves.

The other way is to lower crossing. I think this is more acceptable. The reason is too many cross hit their target. By forcing the CPU to be more selective in their crosses. The downside is the frequency of early crosses.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »