Home

Is FIFA 09 Worth It?

This is a discussion on Is FIFA 09 Worth It? within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-13-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
Rookie

TarHeelsUNC's Arena

OVR: 10
Is FIFA 09 Worth It?

I bought FIFA World Cup 06 for PS2 and I love it. I had never played a soccer game before or even watched soccer, but now I'm interested. Is FIFA 09 for PS3 a quality game? I know it's probably a lot different as it has actual leagues instead of international teams.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #2
MVP

EXboxur's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Is FIFA 09 Worth It?

Rent PES and FIFA, then decide if you like this year's soccer games or not. Both have their positives and negatives.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Definitely worth a rental. I don't know that I'd endorse it for purchase at full price. It has some AI issues, both in individual games and the more lengthy modes. The stuff it does right is done well though: the controls, the camera angles, the presentation...

Considering you say you don't play soccer games very much, you may just want to wait for future versions and allow the series to grow, which it seems to be doing.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 11

I'm not a huge fan of the sport, I know the good teams and players and I watch some of the better matches when they are on TV but I don't follow it daily or anything

For a casual fan the game is pretty good, the graphics are nice and the gameplay is fun. You should know though that the game on the easy difficulty setting is too easy (for me at least) but on the harder difficulty settings instead of the computer really being much harder instead the game seems to become a bit unrealistic.

It can be frustrating at times, and all the computer does is push the ball and attack. In real life games I've seen, teams are often happy to pass the ball around in their own area and then move the ball upfield slowly while waiting for things to open.

In this game I don't think I've once seen the computer pass back to their own area or be patient. Within a minute of the computer possessing it, you will either intercept their pass or else they will get a shot off on goal.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelsUNC
I bought FIFA World Cup 06 for PS2 and I love it. I had never played a soccer game before or even watched soccer, but now I'm interested. Is FIFA 09 for PS3 a quality game? I know it's probably a lot different as it has actual leagues instead of international teams.
It seems the consensus on these forums is that PES is the better game this year, but the best judge is always the player himself, so I would rent both and see which one you like better.

While I personally prefer PES, FIFA does a lot of things right and as someone who rarely plays soccer games you will probably love it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2008, 10:06 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 17

you could save money and get FIFA 08, it's a real fun soccer game and you wouldn't know the difference at all
Old 12-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34

FIFA 09 is a big visual upgrade over 08 imo. The refs, players calling for the ball, and offside waves are a few of the items that come to mind along with a lot of visual polish. I have PES 09 and FIFA 09 for the PS3. I ended up going with FIFA because I like the touch controls and defensive switching with the right-stick. Both are strong titles, but FIFA 09 is the best football game since WE9 on Xbox imo. It looks like PES 09 for the Wii might be interesting this year too. It won;t be out for a few more months though.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
Rookie

TarHeelsUNC's Arena

OVR: 10

I bought FIFA 08 today when I saw it for $15 at Circuit City. Turns out it was only $12 when I checked out.

I'm about to try it out. I also have a lot of Christmas money left in case I decide to get 09.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »