Home

Reviving my interest in FIFA 09 by changing individual player ratings

This is a discussion on Reviving my interest in FIFA 09 by changing individual player ratings within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2009, 07:52 AM   #9
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Reviving my interest in FIFA 09 by changing individual player ratings

i am on here everyday most times

there was a custom tactic thread before but most people just acepted bluchamp setup and either got fed up of fifa or moved on to pes

but if you start one i'll support it and we can compare and try each others ideas becuase i get some great games in my be a pro seasons with tactics i changed its unbelievable, but most of the real footballs guys are gome it seems.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

I've been messing with the custom tactics since getting back into FIFA in the past month or so with promising results. I've found that lowering build-up speed and shooting help curb the AI's at times outrageous attacking philosophy and lowering pressure & aggression help keep the AI defense in check. I have what seems to be a good scaled set for use with the English Leagues and would like to tailor ones for the other leagues to capture their feel as much as possible.

I think it was said already, but build-up should be kept below 50; I have shooting at 20 for all (still tinkering a bit); pressure below 40 and aggression no higher than 50. I scale the appropriate areas down in correlation with the strength of the team, for example (from memory so these aren't exact numbers):

English elite setup

Build-up -- 45
Passing -- 35

Pass Risk -- 70
Crossing -- 30
Shooting -- 20

Pressure -- 40
Aggression -- 40
Team Width -- 50

Compare that with the setup for a bottom-table/lower league side:

Build-up -- 20
Passing -- 75

Pass Risk -- 30
Crossing -- 45
Shooting -- 20

Pressure -- 20
Aggression -- 50
Team Width -- 15

The theory behind the scaling is that better teams will attack more aggressively and look for creative chances and weaker teams will be more methodical. Defensively, top teams will challenge more & collapse less, while weak teams will sit back & play narrow to clog things up. The aggression is a bit on the high side since England is usually considered the most physical league; Spain or Italy would have lower aggression numbers to suit their style of play, as I don't want to lose the feel of each league. But I still need to work on the tactics for other leagues...

I think most of this is based off of BCB's ideas and conversations with therizing who uploaded some CTTs he worked on which I modified.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #11
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

"...I've found that lowering build-up speed and shooting help curb the AI's at times outrageous attacking philosophy and lowering pressure & aggression help keep the AI defense in check..."

Yes! These are pretty much the things I focused on. I can't believe I overlooked this feature of the game, or at least failed to understand it's impact...

I just didn't realize you could alter the pace of things so significantly... Plus I was really liking the different styles that each team had so I didn't really mess with it... And this is where a key sacrifice has to be made, because altering these will eliminate each team's uniqueness to a degree. But I think it'll be more than worth it.

I think I'm going to proceed with creating different styles and apply them as I see fit. My knowledge of teams is pretty limited so a lot of this will be off... But I can look at the default tactics as a reference.

Plus, like you say Qb, scaling things would give some variety.

Here's what I have in mind, very generic styles:

Italian- Strong tough defense, free form build up and attack.
Brazilian- Organized possession style of football.
Argentinian- Short quick passing, with a free form attack and minimal crossing.
English- Physical counter attacking football, with long somewhat risky passing.

Like I say my knowledge is pretty limited, so it'll end up being more about adding a variety of sim styles rather than true to life accuracy.

Last edited by spit_bubble; 02-19-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #12
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

I had five scaled tactics for England, applied them to all teams from the PL to League 2 and played an FA Cup with Arsenal. The results were more than satisfactory. When I played the minnows, they sat back but tried to knock me around (low pressure, narrow combined with higher aggression) when I had the ball in their end -- but not 60 yds from their goal. Yay!

I have some thoughts on how to set up some of the other leagues that I'll share when I have more time, but I'm off to the Penguins game...
Old 02-20-2009, 03:03 AM   #13
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvava
...user defense is programmed to be passive and back off of attackers...
Yeah I hate this... Though I think there may be a solution. I'm going to create a fifth Custom Tactic for the USA (keeping it international) that tries to address this... And then load this for my team before every game, making other adjustments to it then and there if needed (to match whatever team I chose).
Old 02-21-2009, 02:19 AM   #14
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi
...it's still not clear to me if the Quick Tactics will revert the game back to arcade style or not...
So uh... The Quick Tactics are only for the USER and not the CPU???

And yet "Quick Tactics" is listed under every team...

If it was their goal to confuse me, then they did that very well.

Also... Quick Tactics don't save after you change them???

Well, it all seems a bit silly. Maybe it wasn't finalized until late, because the tactics (both Custom and Quick) certainly could've been done with a little more care.

Anyhoo, like sliders in other games I'm finding this to be pretty much subjective... So I don't think I'm going to start another thread. I'm going pretty drastic with things, like putting build up speed and aggression very low... And may even end up putting them both at 1.

The game now is fully revived for me.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:15 AM   #15
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

quick tactics are there for USER only. it does not change from team to team. that is your the location to find it when you want it.

i play on WC with agression at 1 because i feel you should only be dispossessed from a jostle tackle, slide tackle or bad touch or bad pass (between 10-20 is the ideal IMO place but strikers still try to dispossess you)
it gives you good if not great games, the 2 main tactics that remain a PROBLEM for me are shooting and passing.

FOR THE CPU

if you put shooting too low the cpu will get the ball in the box then dance around and pass it off, really there is not a problem with this but the animation looks stupid because its unrealistic IMO( players face up the goal and try to find a shot) and this is a MAJOR problem because they do this while one of my stupid defenders watching not closing them down leaving the area inmarked. basically this is what we have to put up with because we cant play 100% tight defense with people out of position to begin with

passing i put it on short but putting it on mixed the cpu will try to lob your back line way too often. BUT on short they wil make long passes just not from the CB to CF. its a subjective balance but we should discuss possibilities.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #16
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvava
...if you put shooting too low the cpu will get the ball in the box then dance around and pass it off, really there is not a problem with this but the animation looks stupid because its unrealistic IMO( players face up the goal and try to find a shot) and this is a MAJOR problem because they do this while one of my stupid defenders watching not closing them down leaving the area inmarked. basically this is what we have to put up with because we cant play 100% tight defense with people out of position to begin with

passing i put it on short but putting it on mixed the cpu will try to lob your back line way too often. BUT on short they wil make long passes just not from the CB to CF. its a subjective balance but we should discuss possibilities.
I have shooting at 40 for the CPU and it seems pretty good. Anything higher seems to make the CPU rip shots off too frequently.

To deal with my defenders closing down I have USER aggression at 60 and they still were pretty passive. The thing is I don't want to go higher because I'm afraid they will start to double team and get way out of position... Though I'm going to test out USER aggression at 100 and just see what it does. Hopefully it works.

For passing... On mixed you say they lob the back line too much... Maybe try lowering to Chance Creation Passing to "Safe" to help possibly tone it down?

I haven't paid that much attention to passing, though it did seem to me that for Crossing anything above 40 is too high... As it resulted in a cross pretty much any time the CPU took the ball down the wing.

And yeah... Quick Tactics probably would have been better suited under your profile rather than each team. It also would make sense to have them save to your profile as well.

Last edited by spit_bubble; 02-21-2009 at 10:51 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »