Home

Altering Custom Tactics for sim style play

This is a discussion on Altering Custom Tactics for sim style play within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Altering Custom Tactics for sim style play

^ Yeah see with build up speed above 1 and the camera angle I use I have a hard time getting in front of attackers to force back passes, etc... So it just ends up being a constant push forward by the CPU.

I tested out other camera angles and it made a significant difference, but I like having to rely on the radar as little as possible so I'm really left with no other choice.

I'm also noticing some varying types of play... To the point where I think a greater sample of games is required to get the settings just right. I'm even noticing some pretty idiotic play from the CPU on World Class, like dribbling out of bounds and dribbling straight into the keeper instead of shooting in a 1-on-1, and I wonder if my setting changes have something to do with it...

Well, my brain has had just about enough of this... And it's time to set up a Champions League Knockout Stage tournament (literally, round of 16 starts today! ) and play through that... And just enjoy the strides I have made with the setting changes so far.

If I discover anything of note, I will be sure to post it.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

QB 34 is my sweet spot for big clubs.

another thing i want you to try is to go to the formation screen and edit the attacking WORK RATE. what i noticed is not that they push up less people but the fowards get up the pitch faster and if shooting is high they fire off shots before anything develops.

so put the mid fielders work rate to high in attacking and the strikers to low. the strikers will hold up the ball or pass it tothe wing while the mid field get into position.

i am working on 2 Call of duty montages so i wont play fifa until friday but i am glad it seems we have 2 guys playing and looking for a better game.

koshi keep up the good work ,but they pass it out of bounds to make it seem as if they are being careless because of the high risk slider,

like both you guys noticed already the cpu RATINGS are too high so the game becomes scripted by the cpu playing perfect, we need to edit ratings more to get a sloppy game. the last thing i was working on was " why are there no role players" in fifa. Every one does everything too well, not all players can make darting runs, not all players can handle press pressure, not all players can make pin point passes, not all players can trap the ball on the run.

i edited some players dribble to 50 and noticed that when they got the ball they looked to pass it off to someone who could run with it or wont get dispossesed, this was a quick test but it showed that the cpu can be conservative and play passive in attack if the ratings were lower.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvava

i edited some players dribble to 50 and noticed that when they got the ball they looked to pass it off to someone who could run with it or wont get dispossesed, this was a quick test but it showed that the cpu can be conservative and play passive in attack if the ratings were lower.
I agree with this 100% carn. As most of you know, I have been trying to find the proper CTT since the game came out as well. I got so frustrated with the game that I returned it. 2 months later I picked it up again because I had a GS credit.

I think editing the ratings is the only way to get the game to more closely represent the UCL games I'll be watching later today. The FIFA series is in desperate need for either a global player editor or sliders. The in game editor is just way too cumbersome. If there was a way to turn this into a community project, I'd gladly help out.

The attack/build up in the FIFA series places too much emphasis on dribbling and not passing like it should. How many times have we seen (PRO level) the CPU attack down the wings, cross, I head the ball out to the top of the box to one of my midfielders who can either dribble for 50 yards or easily pass the ball to a striker at midfield.

BCB had thought that the field was too small. I agree to a point, but if the field was bigger, wouldn't there be even more space to dribble and do all of those silly tricks that have been programmed into the game that we rarely see IRL?

I still don't get WC. Even with build up play and shooting at 20, Spurs got off 14 shots against me in the first half. I just can't tackle, strafe, or anything that would help me slow the attack. If you sprint, the CPU uses the unrealistic cutback, if you layoff sprint they just sprint past you with ease.

They dribble into the corner and can beat two and sometimes three of my defenders. If they get the ball at the top of the box, it's nearly impossible to stop them from getting a shot off.

It also seems impossible to even get a slide tackle in because miraculously, the CPU ALWAYS seems to change direction at the perfect time. Yeah the dribbling and ball control on WC makes me sick. If there was a way to fix it, I'd be up for it because I really love the challenge of working the ball up the pitch for a goal on WC.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Well now that I know you have the game again, we can at least play some online games...
Old 02-25-2009, 05:27 PM   #13
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

"...the cpu RATINGS are too high so the game becomes scripted by the cpu playing perfect..."

I'm noticing that having pass risk high helps reduce the seemingly scripted play from the CPU.

So it might be good to keep the range for Chance Creation: Pass (safe to risky) at a high level... Maybe even up to 50-90 (instead of 30-70, like in my initial post).
Old 02-27-2009, 02:57 AM   #14
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

^ To anyone paying attention... Having pass risk high works well in forcing more CPU errors.

I edited the first post to what I have come up with so far.

My last game I lost 4-1 to Arsenal, playing as Newcastle. It was 2-1 until late when I tried to press forward for an equalizer. They scored on a counter attack... Then played keep away and scored on an Adebayor header to make it 4... Classic Adebayor garbage goal...

But anyways, with pass risk boosted they still played like Arsenal... But at the same time made more errant passes and it seemed much more sim like.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:05 AM   #15
MVP

EXboxur's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
The FIFA series is in desperate need for either a global player editor or sliders. The in game editor is just way too cumbersome.
We need to make a big deal of this the next time we have a chance to chat up the devs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2009, 08:42 AM   #16
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXboxur
We need to make a big deal of this the next time we have a chance to chat up the devs.
A bigger deal needs to be made about the poor teammate AI. At this point I'd say it's the game's most glaring problem.

edit...

All this has been said before...

Last edited by spit_bubble; 02-27-2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: dead horse

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »