Home

Altering Custom Tactics for sim style play

This is a discussion on Altering Custom Tactics for sim style play within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Altering Custom Tactics for sim style play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I do it with most games, be it slider tweaking, roster editing, whatever. Sometimes I wonder if I'd get more enjoyment out of gaming if I was just a "pick up & play" guy...
Dude. I know what you mean; I had to give up PC gaming for just this reason. As soon as I discovered the file structure of a PC game, ah-editing I would go!

I'm not playing FIFA as much now, but with the MLS season — I'm a Yank, BTW — coming up shortly I wonder if I might edit the MLS players (Acceleration, Sprint Speed, passing[s], ball control, etc.) to realistic levels and start a Tournament Mode. But then again, that's a good ten hours of solid editing. Ten hours I could be spending hitting home runs, checking against the boards, or shooting at zombies.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #34
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
...the amount of fiddling that I feel the need to do. I do it with most games, be it slider tweaking, roster editing, whatever...
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydangerously
...then again, that's a good ten hours of solid editing. Ten hours I could be spending hitting home runs, checking against the boards, or shooting at zombies...
The best sports games don't require tweaking and editing.

If a game needs sliders and editing to fix something that's obviously not right... It just takes a lot of the fun out...

I want to play games, not program them.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #35
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydangerously
Ten hours I could be spending hitting home runs, checking against the boards, or shooting at zombies.

That game must be awesome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #36
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
That game must be awesome.
LOL!!!

My most-played right now, in descending order, is...

Battlefield: Bad Company
EA Sports NHL 09
Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (solely for online with my friends)
MLB 09: The Show

Like carnalnirvava, I'm taking a break from FIFA for awhile. And y'know what? I haven't had much inclination to put it back in.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #37
Rookie

Just came back after about a week off. Played a lot of NHL and Bad Company in the meantime.

I continued my Newcastle tournament with an away game against Everton. I have post-transfer-window rosters with reduced Acceleration and Sprint Speed. I noticed, after playing NHL Be A Pro so much, that I was positioning myself better when defending. I also created some decent chances, and some great chances. Won 2-1, with their goal coming in about the 78th minute, and I deserved it: I really slipped up on defensive positioning, and then I didn't bring my keeper forward for their up-close 1-on-1.

Anyway, towards the end, 2-0 down, Everton (the CPU) started with the "high pressure late-game comeback" AI routine, so I began clearing and trying counterattacks instead of trying to get cute with possession. I've found that it's impossible to protect a lead in FIFA 09 like real football clubs protect their leads, i.e. by keeping possession; the CPU will simply pressure the hell out of you. Maybe that is realistic? Aside from the one good chance they had, which went in, I noticed they were playing pretty desperate balls forward, a couple of which simply went way forward and out for goal kicks. Foul counts were mostly true-to-life as well.

My CPU's Custom Tactics are as follows. Let me be clear: I think Everton played very realistic-looking football!

BUILD-UP
Speed 1
Passing 40
CHANCE CREATION
Passing 100
Crossing 40
Shooting 80
DEFENSE
Pressure 20
Aggression 40
Team Width 40
Defender Line Cover
All in all, I enjoyed it, and I think what frustrates us is when we don't realize we're playing too much FIFA. I will still primarily play NHL for my sports fix, as the Be A Pro in that is simply brilliant, but at least I don't have to write off FIFA as much as I had.

Last edited by johnnydangerously; 03-15-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #38
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Aside from build-up speed, shooting and width (coincidentally, I would have them all at 30), those are almost exactly what I would use for Everton or any upper mid-table team in the EPL. I played Arsenal/Blackburn last night with Blackburn using a very similar setup (build-up @ 25, pass risk @ 80, width @ 20 or 25, not sure), and although I lost 2-1 due to some rust, it was an enjoyable game...

Last edited by Qb; 03-16-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #39
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

ok fellas

after all weekend of testing fifa and madden( my wife is away) i found something.

johnny i want you to test this for me on WC

the REACTION and LONGSHOTS attribute put it to 1 for all players then play a game. with those tactics you posted last.

it may seem crazy but try it any team and tell me if you see a difference. thx

reaction seems to govern how fast they dart up the pitch. i think i finally found it.

longshots govern the way crazy attenpts that have no chance and yes they will shoot from distance just not at every opportunity you will see them try to unlock your defense.

these are early trials the end result may not be so extreme but just give it a shot.

thx to anyone that tries PLEASE leave feedback.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #40
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvava
reaction seems to govern how fast they dart up the pitch. i think i finally found it.
Are you serious? "Reaction"? That's just weird! Weird enough for me to test it out!

I'll get back to you in an hour or two.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »