Home

Question about defense in human vs. AI games

This is a discussion on Question about defense in human vs. AI games within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Question about defense in human vs. AI games

Hey, I'm fairly new to FIFA 09 (with limited experience with previous FIFA games), and I have a question about the play of my AI teammates in Human vs AI games. I'm playing on Professional difficulty, by the way, and with Barclays Premier League teams not named Man U, Liverpool, or Chelsea.

In general, I've noticed that my AI teammates are far less aggressive than any outfield AI opposition; my AI teammates seem far less reluctant than the AI opposing players to challenge passes, challenge the ball possessor, etc. It seems like sometimes that my computer teammates are content to let the ball possessor dribble around them, whereas the computer opposing players are playing with far more aggression, yet a controlled aggression.

Is there something I can do to make my AI teammates more aggressive similar to that of my AI opponents, particularly on defense?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Question about defense in human vs. AI games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
Hey, I'm fairly new to FIFA 09 (with limited experience with previous FIFA games), and I have a question about the play of my AI teammates in Human vs AI games. I'm playing on Professional difficulty, by the way, and with Barclays Premier League teams not named Man U, Liverpool, or Chelsea.

In general, I've noticed that my AI teammates are far less aggressive than any outfield AI opposition; my AI teammates seem far less reluctant than the AI opposing players to challenge passes, challenge the ball possessor, etc. It seems like sometimes that my computer teammates are content to let the ball possessor dribble around them, whereas the computer opposing players are playing with far more aggression, yet a controlled aggression.

Is there something I can do to make my AI teammates more aggressive similar to that of my AI opponents, particularly on defense?
Welcome to the FIFA series man. Pretty sure that everyone on this board will agree that this is one of the biggest issues with the game. Very frustrating.

However, with some practice, you'll be able to overcome the issue. In FIFA, you basically have to control every player. If you want something done you need to switch players and do it yourself.

The only exception to that would be using the second defender press button. Check out your controller configuration and find which button it's mapped to.

When you press the SDP button, the defender closest to the CPU ball handler will try to take the ball from the CPU. I like to shadow the ball handler with the player I control and use the second defender press button to sort of trap the opponent. Kind of like a half court trap in basketball.

A word of caution, don't overuse it. I've seen many people overuse this to the point where they are pulling teammates off of the back four line. This leaves gaping holes in your defense around the goal.

Keep practicing and good luck.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Thanks for the tip, rizing; I am in fact aware of the second defender press function, and I'll give what you're suggesting a shot.

In the meantime, I've found that if I play a more controlled game on offense, slowing down the tempo and taking fewer risks passing the ball, that I can effectively play keep-away from the AI and limit my time on defense. It's resulting in me getting more 0-0 and 1-0 results, but I'm content with that for now while I'm still learning the game, figuring out what works and what doesn't, and at the same time improving my team (I've got a manager mode going with Portsmouth, who by my understanding is a middle-of-the-road team in the Premiership).
Old 02-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Riz is spot-on (as usual). While it's slightly improved over 08, we're still forced to scramble to make up for passive defensive AI from our teammates. Even the defensive aggressive setting under the custom team tactics has little effect, aside from when you use the second-defender pressure command. If you follow his advice, you should improve.

Also, your comment about maintaining possession to control the game is very astute -- this is a great way to dictate the play. Too often we want to rush upfield to score at the risk of a costly turnover along the way. Think of it in terms of field position and/or time of possession in [American] football -- don't teams tend to be more conservative when they have the ball in their end of the field? A turnover there leaves your opponent with a short field, leaving the D at a major disadvantage. Right along with that, if the offense is controlling the ball with long, time-consuming drives, the likelihood of the opponent scoring is much lower.

If I can add one-tip for defense that isn't directly related to your question -- try facing up to the man with the ball using the jockey command (for me it's L-trigger) before he shoots or crosses. If you have a small amount of space between you & the man (ie, not on top of him, but not more than a step or two away), your player will often deflect the ball. This helps to cut down on direct shots and will reduce the need to switch quickly to cover someone in the box since the ball won't get through. What I'm trying to say is, often times rushing in for the tackle isn't the best strategy against the AI...

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »