Home

My apologies.

This is a discussion on My apologies. within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: My apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle
pass assitance: semi
shot: semi
lob: manual
cross: manual
through: manual
I also use this configuration. I switched to manual crossing (from semi) and through balls when I started playing FIFA again about a month or two ago. I too felt quite frustrated with manual through passes, but I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. The big negative for me is that you need some time & space to 'power up' to get a longer pass. I do like how it limits the easy flank attacks every time up the pitch...

Manual crossing has really opened up the game and I think it affects the CPU as well. Their crosses seem less locked onto heads (mine are certainly aren't), which can make for exciting play in the box.

And I'm just not seeing the ability to use the R-stick to put curl on the ball...
Old 04-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #10
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I also use this configuration. I switched to manual crossing (from semi) and through balls when I started playing FIFA again about a month or two ago. I too felt quite frustrated with manual through passes, but I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. The big negative for me is that you need some time & space to 'power up' to get a longer pass. I do like how it limits the easy flank attacks every time up the pitch...

Manual crossing has really opened up the game and I think it affects the CPU as well. Their crosses seem less locked onto heads (mine are certainly aren't), which can make for exciting play in the box.

And I'm just not seeing the ability to use the R-stick to put curl on the ball...
You don't use it to curl the ball. It represents where on the ball you stirke it. So it puts topspin on the ball if you hold up on it. You have to imagine where you want to hit the ball as you shoot. Hold or tap the shot button and as the animation is playing into the shot press your direction on the RS. Now you can actually make a hittng/kicking motion on the ball as you are striking it to get even more spin. It's easiest on Pro Cam as the stick is screen relative. Go into the arena and try it out. As you run up don't aim with the stick, just press down and right on the RS. You'll kick it into the top left. Same thing with passing in game. You want to visualize where on the ball you want to strike and it will all be calcualted out through the shooting model. But you'll be able to put even more spin on it and place it better when you determine the kick spot via the RS input. Once you get used to it, you're aerial game will really open up. BTW you can use the RS on headers to control them, as well.....

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 04-27-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

Quote:
^^
thanks for that brian, but actually, was taking a further step back. i am currently on:

pass assitance: semi
shot: semi
lob: manual
cross: manual
through: manual

lob's and cross' manual, really open up the game and recommend even the noobest of noob to give it a try.

1) however, i am having trouble with manual through balls... in fact, to the point where i am thinking about going back to assisted (i will stand up so everyone can throw rocks at me). i never seem able to hit through balls hard enough!

2) a guess the bigger question is the discussion between ratings and "skill on the sticks". i want to find the right balance, and i want to see differentiation, especially passing. i want to notice the difference between through balls with csec versus some scrub (or bendtner).

anyway, what are your thoughts on both issues?
I think that stick skills are definitely most important. Especially as the game already handicaps you based on both the player ratings and the ethereal "form" calculation. Ever notice how some games you can't do anything right? That's the CPU calculating your form for you. IMO it's broken. You can be on a 15 match win streak and then your guys just get ********. Until you get them going agian with a couple of goals. Having the buttons as second nature and being able to totally control pace is the first priority. I consider myself having a varied, but fairly small set of skill moves that I can pull off at will. I focused on the ones that shift the defenders weight and create space for myself in traffic.

Manual through balls are a tricky one. They are tied to pace and to being able to not run yourself into the D. I use the throttle technique with the RT and use the RS to do short knock-on's and try not to stay in a straight line very long. LB and a quick flick on the LS will get you space to get a through ball off. I normally use A to do my ground passing using the RB for finesse. Most of my passes are of the aerial type, with my RS aiming playing the ball into space. But if you love to pass you'd better have some good ball control techniques. Pace control is the single biggest problem with Fifa, due to the over aggressive D. But a whole lotta LB and RS moves will give you space or a lot of cards.

I have found out one, though. This game when played on manual has depth like I've never seen in a game before. Believe it or not, when you really get it down, you're using the RS as much or more than you ever did in Fight Night.... I can see how a PES diehard wouldn't like this game. The controls are totally different. But I'm loving it more and more as I get the controls down. Fluid and infinitely random.

P.S. I'm not that gifted on Stick Skills, but after hours upon hours of play/practice, I'm getting pretty decent!

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Last edited by BrianFifaFan; 04-27-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #12
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
Go into the arena and try it out.
I wouldn't say I'm not seeing it if I haven't tried it. As I said, I'm just not seeing it. Depending on the position of the ball and player relative to it, the ball is struck at different angles quite often, resulting in different trajectories/curls/spins. BTW, saying it isn't used to curl the ball then saying that if you hold down & right on the R-stick the ball will go top left is a contradiction, no?

Look, I know I'm more or less saying that you're wrong, but I'm only doing that (1) because I've tried it and haven't seen it (2) knowing that this happens in gameplay for other reasons, and (3) to my knowledge this method has not been mentioned anywhere else. Was is it in the extensive player's guides that EA sent you? I find it hard to believe that they'd put a pretty cool feature such as this in then not say one word about it. We all know how they like to tout new features, especially when it comes to "next-gen stick controls".

I appreciate your willingness to help the community, but something doesn't jive here...
Old 04-28-2009, 05:14 PM   #13
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I wouldn't say I'm not seeing it if I haven't tried it. As I said, I'm just not seeing it. Depending on the position of the ball and player relative to it, the ball is struck at different angles quite often, resulting in different trajectories/curls/spins. BTW, saying it isn't used to curl the ball then saying that if you hold down & right on the R-stick the ball will go top left is a contradiction, no?

Look, I know I'm more or less saying that you're wrong, but I'm only doing that (1) because I've tried it and haven't seen it (2) knowing that this happens in gameplay for other reasons, and (3) to my knowledge this method has not been mentioned anywhere else. Was is it in the extensive player's guides that EA sent you? I find it hard to believe that they'd put a pretty cool feature such as this in then not say one word about it. We all know how they like to tout new features, especially when it comes to "next-gen stick controls".

I appreciate your willingness to help the community, but something doesn't jive here...
Steve, I'm not trying to argue here. This is something that I've found in my experience and was trying to share it. Here's the simplest proff. First, duplicate my stettings. Then in your next game, as you go to kick with the goalie on a long kick, throw the right stick up as the ball is getting ready to be struck. The ball will curve differently than normal. I've never said that it works on any cam but the Pro, so it might be different for sideways players. Can't help there. As to the top left, you have to visualize a ball. The bottom left of the ball being stuck will send it up and left. Now I'm gonna put up a vid where the ball gets headed out by the defender and I head it back in with Rooney to Berbatov, using the RS to aim where my header goes. Tehn a quick tap of the Lb and hit it bottom left for the shot into the upper right. I do aim upper right with the stick but it is struck on the bottom left based on my stick input, not a random calculation. I know this to be true and can send long, curling passes to wide open spaces. I don't really care if you believe me. I'm about 1000 games into 09 and have found a lot of things that aren't in the manual.

P.S. You can aim and curl by using the finesse shoot combo and RS, but it's a bear to pull off with touch. But I'm gonna give you scenarion to try that's pretty easy to pull off in arena. As you are going forward pull a rainbow and then as the ball is coming down for your shot, throw the RS up . It will put sever topspin on your shot and you sholud get a real nice topspin curve into the lower portion of the net.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #14
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

I guess we just agree to disagree and leave it at that...
Old 05-01-2009, 05:27 AM   #15
*n th* Fl*w*rs

southernbelle's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
I think that stick skills are definitely most important. Especially as the game already handicaps you based on both the player ratings and the ethereal "form" calculation....
i couldn't agree with you more that this "form" equation is so troubling. my problem is, there is no way to know until you are just playing like ****. they do not have a "form" or "chemistry" number. so, it does appear random. Brian - do you find that the form really falls off when you change up your line-up?? more caps the better?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #16
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

Quote:
i couldn't agree with you more that this "form" equation is so troubling. my problem is, there is no way to know until you are just playing like ****. they do not have a "form" or "chemistry" number. so, it does appear random. Brian - do you find that the form really falls off when you change up your line-up?? more caps the better?

It just seems to really happen randomly. I've noticed when I have an injury occur that it happens, that's all good. But sometimes I'll have my team just go braindead agianst a Hull or other scrub when I'm coming off of a 10 game win streak. Maybe it's to simulate overconfidence or lack of focus? I was talking to Wepeeler one night and we both agree it's wack.

I just played a match today Middleborough at OT and they were just perfect on D for the first 68 min of the match. Unrealistically so. Super goalie and defenders. Every pass was spot on. I held them at bay, and then finally pulled off a great move to score, then they finally started to break down and I won 4-0. But here's what bugged me. They had really low energy levels all match and I couldn't outrun them or even break them down on skills to save my life. That's something they really have to fix for '10. Fix the fatigue between matches and let it matter in match. Make the CPU have to manage it's fatigue and make subs accordingly. In 09 since they don't have that worked out they have it just not matter for the CPU. And then throw your form off to make it an even, exciting match. That's not good enough. What's the point of playing MM if it's really basically every match is you at full strength (maxed out trainer) vs. the CPU who's always at full strength (even if it isn't ). Very little match strategy. Heck, I'd like for them to get enough of a differentiation between squads that I can play a team of scrubs against a Championship squad and rest my starters. Then I can build them up. And they should have it where I have to rest players. Not let the 10 on the trainer give me fresh guys every match. There's a ton of stuff I hope gets fixed for '10 in MM. That's pretty much all I play and these issues irk me. But my game on the pitch is top class now. I might even go back online to see how I can do now.... And represent my beloved Pro Cam and it's glory!

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »