Home

Headers. How to get in position and score.

This is a discussion on Headers. How to get in position and score. within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2009, 03:21 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Headers. How to get in position and score.

My problem (weakness) is that I create a lot of quality passes/crosses into the box from my wingers. I have the tactic tuned into a lot of crosses to the box and I always use tall strong attacking players. But.. But.. I seems to always get trapped behind players in the box and even if I try to get in front I can’t say that I score many goals with headers. When I score with headers I feel it’s no more than random luck.

So my question is how you use the headers, I may jump to early or too late, when should I jump?
I’ve heard that I should use L2, but why and how?

This is my weak point, I play the game a lot and know how to do everything else. But know I need to take it too the next level and understand how headers work.
As a former PES-player and need to get some help understanding this game.

Last edited by coccis; 07-01-2009 at 05:08 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Headers. How to get in position and score.

What crossing setting do you use? I find that manual crossing opens up the aerial game more than semi or assisted, although it comes at a price. On manual, your crosses more often go into space, rather than directly at a player. This can create some beautiful opportunities to run onto a cross in open space, as opposed to the feeling of being locked in place with a defender. You'll have to get used to using the "super cancel" (LT+RT on my setup) to get full control of your player to get to some of them, but the results can be fantastic.

However, manual crossing can be frustrating in that you'll likely send at least a few crosses behind the goal each game. Also, the ball seems to be drawn to a spot near the top of the box if you attempt to cross from near the end line (this could be my lack of stick skills). I tend to have more success crossing sooner and occasionally I'll use the early cross mechanic (LB+long pass on my setup) to put one in before getting past the top of the box.

I wish I could have saved the replay of a sweet early cross from an online game against a fellow OSer from the other night, as it was a perfect example of what I'm getting at. I early crossed it from about 25-30m to the far post, took full control of Dean Ashton with a super cancel and moved onto the cross away from the defender, then chest-trapped the ball before slamming it home on the half-volley. It was quite lovely...

As for headers themselves, I don't know what to tell you, as they're quite hit or miss in my experience (as maybe they should be). I think timing is more important in 09 than it was in 08 -- I find that you have to press the button about when you want to jump, remembering that the power meter is still in effect. Also, keep in mind that you need to aim the attempt as well. However, I don't score a lot of headed goals, so maybe you should take my advice with a grain of salt...
Old 07-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
What crossing setting do you use? I find that manual crossing opens up the aerial game more than semi or assisted, although it comes at a price. On manual, your crosses more often go into space, rather than directly at a player. This can create some beautiful opportunities to run onto a cross in open space, as opposed to the feeling of being locked in place with a defender. You'll have to get used to using the "super cancel" (LT+RT on my setup) to get full control of your player to get to some of them, but the results can be fantastic.

However, manual crossing can be frustrating in that you'll likely send at least a few crosses behind the goal each game. Also, the ball seems to be drawn to a spot near the top of the box if you attempt to cross from near the end line (this could be my lack of stick skills). I tend to have more success crossing sooner and occasionally I'll use the early cross mechanic (LB+long pass on my setup) to put one in before getting past the top of the box.

I wish I could have saved the replay of a sweet early cross from an online game against a fellow OSer from the other night, as it was a perfect example of what I'm getting at. I early crossed it from about 25-30m to the far post, took full control of Dean Ashton with a super cancel and moved onto the cross away from the defender, then chest-trapped the ball before slamming it home on the half-volley. It was quite lovely...

As for headers themselves, I don't know what to tell you, as they're quite hit or miss in my experience (as maybe they should be). I think timing is more important in 09 than it was in 08 -- I find that you have to press the button about when you want to jump, remembering that the power meter is still in effect. Also, keep in mind that you need to aim the attempt as well. However, I don't score a lot of headed goals, so maybe you should take my advice with a grain of salt...

Thank you very much!

I use assisted at the moment because I have not dared to try semi or manual. But now I think I'll try semi and see what happens to my game.
As a start I mean changing to semi on crosses and thrue balls.

After my switch from PES last year I think I'm ready to take my game to the next level. And semi is probably the best move.

Again, thanks m8!
Old 07-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 8

I play with crossing set to MANUAL ( have since FIFA08 ).

I sometimes have trouble getting the correct power/direction on my crosses.

Should my crossing player be jogging (LT), running, or sprinting (RT)?

I need to use the L-Stick to move the crossing player but ALSO to aim the cross (the timing on this is tricky).

And when the ball is in the air - is there anything I can do to move my receiving player into a good position to get to the ball? Does this have something to do with the "jostle" idea? How is that best employed?

Should I sometimes trap the ball, or play for a shot on the volley (does this work)?

I need to practice more with the "pass instead of shoot" idea ... I so rarely get the cross to go to my teammate - I feel like there are not enough chances to work on this skill (practice mode anyone?).

I hope this thread has a healthy life - I can certainly benefit from it!

-----

Hey Coccis - I saw that you also posted this question at the UK/EASports board ... I like to jump between there and here as well. I have found that I get more complete advice from OS (but the OS board seems to have recently dwindled in activity).
Old 07-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH
I play with crossing set to MANUAL ( have since FIFA08 ).

I sometimes have trouble getting the correct power/direction on my crosses.

I need to use the L-Stick to move the crossing player but ALSO to aim the cross (the timing on this is tricky).

And when the ball is in the air - is there anything I can do to move my receiving player into a good position to get to the ball? Does this have something to do with the "jostle" idea? How is that best employed?

Should I sometimes trap the ball, or play for a shot on the volley (does this work)?

I need to practice more with the "pass instead of shoot" idea ... I so rarely get the cross to go to my teammate - I feel like there are not enough chances to work on this skill (practice mode anyone?).

I hope this thread has a healthy life - I can certainly benefit from it!

-----

Hey Coccis - I saw that you also posted this question at the UK/EASports board ... I like to jump between there and here as well. I have found that I get more complete advice from OS (but the OS board seems to have recently dwindled in activity).
Hello man.

Yes, I'm "jumping" between EA and OS. It's great to get some help.

My problem is that I'm not "the master" on writing in english. I can speak english but write english is not my cup of coffe

I hope some of the members understand my english... My swedish is much better... Hehehehe...

Last edited by coccis; 07-01-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH
This is the hardest part of adapting to manual crossing and I think it's unavoidable that you'll occasionally shank one into the stands. But for me that's better than always putting it right on someone's head.

Quote:
As for your player's body position and movement, I find that if your guy is facing the end line, the chances of of good cross are slim and they're even worse if you're sprinting parallel to the touch line. I've found that turning your player towards the center of the pitch -- even if it's only part of the way -- helps tremendously. Crossing from a stand-still seems to require more power compared to on the move...

Quote:

Players can still get that "locked in" feel even on manual crossing. The solution is to "super cancel" by pressing the special modifier and speed burst buttons at the same time, as it gives you full control over your player by canceling any AI 'guiding' (commonly referred to as being "on rails"). With my controller setup it's L-trigger and R-trigger, but I believe that is not the default scheme.

This will allow you to move your player more freely and can make it possible to get on the end of some crosses in space. It takes a lot of practice, but it's worth it as you'll see much more variety in the box...

But like I said before, I'm no master of FIFA. Probably the best guy I've played from OS is TomasPerez9 and I know he's still active here, so maybe he can give you some good tips. I think he shredded me for 7 last time we played, so he certainly knows how to bulge the ol' onion bag...
Old 07-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

I don't think I have heard anyone say this before, but cross early and often. If you take the ball to the endline and then cross, you are screwed. In that case, your player will be standing still with a defender at your hip. If you play the ball across to your player and he is running on to it, he will more than likely jump over the defender and head it. That's why you cross early so your player is running towards the goal rather than standing still.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 8

can you explain more about the "super-cancel"?

will this help with passes to teammates in the "regular" field also?

is this related to the "jostle for position" idea at all?

i really like this thread. :-)

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »