Home

My first All-Manual settings vid.

This is a discussion on My first All-Manual settings vid. within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2009, 05:36 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: My first All-Manual settings vid.

Brian - could you direct me to the thread you were on fifauk for tips on manual everything?

I have been contemplating the idea, but recently grew so frustrated with WC - that I said I'm going Automatic all the way.

Now, I've reconsidered.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 8

I have been playing all-manual (had to go down to semi-pro difficulty - slowing working my way back up) and it really is a beet experience. It does take some getting used to - but I would say that it is worth it.

The last thing I switched was shooting - and I am still seeing way too many "shanks" per match. I would love it if anyone had some advice about getting my shots on the mark.

Thanks - and more cool videos would be sweet.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #19
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Matt, I'm gonna try and break down all the manual stuff the best I can. Of course you're gonna have to twist the controls around for sideways play. But here goes the entirety of my limited knowledge:

Passing is key to success. you already know how important touch is. But after you dial up your pass quickly tap the right stick in the direction you want to pass. The better your pass ratings is matters, of course. RB to trap and RS to get your first touch. I'm actually having a whole lot of success even with the Y thru ball using the RS to aim it. You can even get some pretty accurate cross field passes using the aiming. I normally set them up by using speed control and either some simple small tricks to create space or just using lateral movement of the ball and field reversal with the long X passes across after the D rotates. But you can get some real nice little breakdowns of the D by holding the RT to shield and then hitting LB to get a runner and quick tapping either A or Y using the RS to direct it in. The only problem with it is that then you'd better have some real slick tricks to create space or go directly for a shot, you know how aggressive the D is. I hope some of this helps. The easiest way I can put it is that once you get the controls to feeling second nature, start making passes as quickly and fluidly as you can. I've also found that a quick tap of the RB gives you a nice touch that you can keep momentum off of, as opposed to a full control trap.

I hope I'm not sounding too "Fifa for Dummies." It's not really my intent if anyone ever thinks I am. It's just really hard for me to put all of this stuff into words that effectively describe the scenario. I really need to do a vid that shows the stuff. I"m not really good at creating "word pictures." Hope something I said helps... Brian

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 07-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #20
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH
I have been playing all-manual (had to go down to semi-pro difficulty - slowing working my way back up) and it really is a beet experience. It does take some getting used to - but I would say that it is worth it.

The last thing I switched was shooting - and I am still seeing way too many "shanks" per match. I would love it if anyone had some advice about getting my shots on the mark.

Thanks - and more cool videos would be sweet.
You're hit on the "shanks." I'm having the same issue! I'm in the midst of a 4th place standing with 6 wins and 5 draws. Manual shooting is making it really hard to be able to pull away in matches like I used to. But here's what I've found out about shooting in a nutshell. You have to use the LS to get yourself into postion for the shot and then after you press the shot button you've gotta also use the LS to aim it, too. So a lot of times I just don't have the reflexes to get it aimied propeerly, especially in tight places. But it is football, right? I'm getting some realistic shot totals, I get about 5, 6 really great scoring opportunities a match and getting about 2-3 goals each. I've had about 6 1-0 affairs in about 35 games on manual.

I'm really just finding that it is even more important to work the ball around and use my dribble to break down the D and create openings to get good shots. I can still go route one, but I find myself shanking a lot of them at full speed, especially if I have to do any type of directioanl change as I'm trying to get an angle on goal. The LS shooting direction is player postion-relative. The other shotting modes seem to be based on the goals zones and everything automatically heads at the goal. In the Arena I've totally missed the goal wide by 10+ yards hitting the LS the wrong way. And I'm still trying to figure out how to shoot driving diagonally in. I'm always pushing it across the face of goal with no touch. But I'm not really very good with finesse shots. That really isn't a comfortable button combo for me. I'm left handed so the more things I have to do with my right, thew worse it gets. I pretty much use the RS to do as much as I can.

Now I know that I was babbling about the RS with shooting before. There's still something to using it, but I don't know how it all comes together. I know the LS aims. But with passing and heading the RS definitely plays a part. The Nani to Gourcuff off the free kick was by my using the RS to head the ball into space and then a LB tap to a shot for the goal. Try adding the RS to your shooting. But I will say that I ended up contacting EA about all of my thoughts on how shooting worked, and I was wrong about how advanced it was. It seems to be the main mechanic is LS to dribble, shot, then LS to point it in the right direction. Not aim at a quadrant of goal. I'm still gonna ride manual till '10 drops. The quality of my goals is up 100%. The goals don't feel nearly as scripted now. I've seen more different goals in the last month than all of the other months combined! Brian

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 07-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 4

What difficulty do you play on?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #22
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant0n
What difficulty do you play on?
World Class.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #23
He can talk the talk

Salhus's Arena

OVR: 20

Your AI teammates sure do react a lot quicker then mine do. I saw a lot of your passes where my teammates wouldn't break on the ball like yours did in some of those shots on your video.

How is that? Do you quickly switch players and do it manually?
Old 07-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 4

custom tactics

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »