Home

EA needs to scrap CPU momentum

This is a discussion on EA needs to scrap CPU momentum within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: EA needs to scrap CPU momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
It's all about speed on the button. Press the buttons waaay before you think you should. Basically in an interview the gameplay producer explained that Fifa's CPU has a virtual controller it uses to play you, vs. a prescripted code. This is to avoid cheating. Problem is that until you have really good fluid skills on the sticks, the CPU will normally be better and faster than you. And I'm not sure if I'm imagining things or not, but it seems the CPU steps up it's level of play as you get better with the sticks. I seem to always have to continue to improve or after a while my same stale game doesn't work anymore. Maybe it's tied to the custom tactics? But I've seen the CPU use more and more elaborate passing schemes as my game has progressed.

I'm at the point now that there are less and less "thou shat not win games" but I've seen the CPU play perfect games that are frustrating in that they are using teams that are rated way below mine.
Very interesting post. Is NHL 09-style AI learning in FIFA as well, only as a hidden feature?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Very interesting post. Is NHL 09-style AI learning in FIFA as well, only as a hidden feature?
To be honest, I'm not sure. But I have noticed the CPU always seems to come out in Super mode after I've had a good run of matches. And since I've gone all manual and can't seem to pull away for huge leads, it's like you said, they just go into superman mode until they at least get an equalizer. I'm learning how to combat it, but there's almost a striptedness to it. The controller wont do enough to stop them. But it's funny, it's the other way with small squads, they go into super eager-beaver mode in the first half and try to get that first goal, then pack it in. Good strategy, just once again, really unbalanced and super-human feeling. There's good concepts, just poor tuning. But I'm really feeling that 10 will have a lot of it sorted out!

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 07-27-2009, 11:48 PM   #11
He can talk the talk

Salhus's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
It's all about speed on the button. Press the buttons waaay before you think you should. Basically in an interview the gameplay producer explained that Fifa's CPU has a virtual controller it uses to play you, vs. a prescripted code. This is to avoid cheating. Problem is that until you have really good fluid skills on the sticks, the CPU will normally be better and faster than you. And I'm not sure if I'm imagining things or not, but it seems the CPU steps up it's level of play as you get better with the sticks. I seem to always have to continue to improve or after a while my same stale game doesn't work anymore. Maybe it's tied to the custom tactics? But I've seen the CPU use more and more elaborate passing schemes as my game has progressed.
Let me see if I follow. So, as soon as the keeper drives the ball I push a button? My human controlled player will automatically get to where the ball is going to land I just need to hit the button super early?

I also notice when my player and a CPU player are sprinting to get a loose ball the CPU almost always wins. It seems like I am incapable of sticking my foot out to get first touch, yet the CPU does that all the time and if we both arrive to the ball at the same exact time, CPU prevails. Any tips?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2009, 12:52 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 16

This "momentum" that everyone mentions seems to be the new trend in video sports games. I think what happened, is that instead of calling it "comeback AI" the companies have renamed it to "momentum", so they can't be blamed for adding a little "extra" to the CPU when they are losing.

I also don't feel that companies have fully mastered this momentum feature either. I can understand a team getting a goal and receiving a little boost of energy, but not a sudden 2 or 3 goal spurt. Or as someone else pointed out, the incredible ball handling ability of the CPU when they are losing and need to score. This same type of thing happens in NHL 09 and MLB the Show. It can be very frustrating when you're dominating one half, or inning, then your team suddenly becomes terrible. The games need to be challenging based off the player ratings and not some hidden "momentum" boost.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:16 AM   #13
Closet pyromaniac

Whitesox's Arena

OVR: 38

Steven you are incorrect.

Momentum, (in the context of sports) means that when a team is doing well, they are better. "Comback AI" is when a team is doing bad and gets better.

And besides Comeback AI is [very] debatable.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:31 AM   #14
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salhus
Let me see if I follow. So, as soon as the keeper drives the ball I push a button? My human controlled player will automatically get to where the ball is going to land I just need to hit the button super early?

I also notice when my player and a CPU player are sprinting to get a loose ball the CPU almost always wins. It seems like I am incapable of sticking my foot out to get first touch, yet the CPU does that all the time and if we both arrive to the ball at the same exact time, CPU prevails. Any tips?
It's more about going for the 50/50's and trying to clear corners and such. When the CPU launches the CK, hit the button before you think you should. Winning those balls is about timing the ball, you basically are racing the CPU to the "button" push. It's the same philosophy about skill moves and not being dispossesed by the over-agressive CPU. Pass early and pull the move before you think you should. There's still a response lag in the game between input and reaction. The CPU is a faster button pusher than a human; well, me at least! Practice more "ping-pongy" quick passes and you'll see what I mean. Everything has to be done before the CPU can even think of doing it. Otherwise, you'll most likely lose a button-quickdraw with the machine. I've found that the more I take the controlled pre-planned attack vs. reactions, the more success I've had. This had made me really focus on knowing the controls where I don't have to think "hey, what button should I press here?" That's where I was getting my head really handed to me by the CPU. It doesn't think. It just does.

P.S. You've still gotta postion yourself to make plays on the ball. The buttons don't get you into postion. Practice moving the LS moving in multiple directions while toggling your triggers. That's key for D and on O don't move your LS always in the same direction. The pitbull D will kill you quick. I always try to change directions to not let the CPU get a good bead on what I'm doing and throw a lot of skills in to not let the CPU take control by the super tackle. Dictate play, not react.

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 07-28-2009, 05:50 AM   #15
He can talk the talk

Salhus's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
It's more about going for the 50/50's and trying to clear corners and such. When the CPU launches the CK, hit the button before you think you should. Winning those balls is about timing the ball, you basically are racing the CPU to the "button" push. It's the same philosophy about skill moves and not being dispossesed by the over-agressive CPU. Pass early and pull the move before you think you should. There's still a response lag in the game between input and reaction. The CPU is a faster button pusher than a human; well, me at least! Practice more "ping-pongy" quick passes and you'll see what I mean. Everything has to be done before the CPU can even think of doing it. Otherwise, you'll most likely lose a button-quickdraw with the machine. I've found that the more I take the controlled pre-planned attack vs. reactions, the more success I've had. This had made me really focus on knowing the controls where I don't have to think "hey, what button should I press here?" That's where I was getting my head really handed to me by the CPU. It doesn't think. It just does.

P.S. You've still gotta postion yourself to make plays on the ball. The buttons don't get you into postion. Practice moving the LS moving in multiple directions while toggling your triggers. That's key for D and on O don't move your LS always in the same direction. The pitbull D will kill you quick. I always try to change directions to not let the CPU get a good bead on what I'm doing and throw a lot of skills in to not let the CPU take control by the super tackle. Dictate play, not react.
That's good info. I'll be using that post for reference. Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #16
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesox
Steven you are incorrect.

Momentum, (in the context of sports) means that when a team is doing well, they are better. "Comback AI" is when a team is doing bad and gets better.

And besides Comeback AI is [very] debatable.
Yes whitesox. There are 2 distinct things. Momentum is performance based. You make a big play and your team gains confidence and responds. We all have seen this occur in all sports.

Comeback AI happens for no damn reason at all. It's similar to basketball when Team A is up by 20 and all of a sudden starts missing all the shots they were hitting that put them up by 20 and vice versa for Team B. Teams go cold in all sports but let it be perfomance based and not auto-programmed.

I just want teams to play true to their ratings. It's part of the reason why I dislike skill levels. I jack the skill up to Legendary and all of sudden that League One MF is playing like Cesc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »