Home

EA needs to scrap CPU momentum

This is a discussion on EA needs to scrap CPU momentum within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 26
EA needs to scrap CPU momentum

I've been playing this game a lot lately and it's pretty obvious they programmed CPU team momentum into the game. The CPU generally plays half the game in "pressure momentum" mode where I can't force the ball away from the CPU, where their players execute blind passes and crosses to perfection, where they outjump my players for every ball, etc. Then for half the game they go into "hibernation" or "klutz" mode where they not only can't keep possession, they end up passing it and giving it away to my team's players, time after time.

I could give many examples, but one game last week really showed just how inane this momentum coding is. The CPU absolutely dominated in the first half, scoring four goals. I literally couldn't touch ball and never came close to shot on goal. The second half started and when the CPU began dumping the ball off to my players, I thought, "Here we go again." But instead of taking advantage of their "poor play", I decided to screw around and started fouling the CPU at every opportunity. Within a few minutes two of my guys had been sent off with red cards. Still, the CPU continued to feed me the ball, and I ended up scoring three (!) goals playing with 9 players, eventually losing 4-3.

Give me game programming where the gameplay is determined by player ratings and user ability ONLY. This coded momentum junk drives me nuts. It's also in The Show (pitchers' confidence ratings) and I hate it in that game as well, bah.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2009, 06:08 AM   #2
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: EA needs to scrap CPU momentum

I agree. The form and CPU momentum sometimes verge on the point of be unrealitic. And it seems totally random. I can crush a 5-star like Liverpool at Anfield and then have fits from the newest Coca-cola transplant that's a 3 or 2 star. That's something that it seems was worked on during the MM reworking, but we'll see if it works better in Fifa10. Right now, I'd say that is the biggest gripe I have about 09 is the super computer Momentum. But I'd still have to call this the best playing sports game to date! Brian

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 07-27-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
Right now, I'd say that is the biggest gripe I have about 09 is the super computer Momentum. But I'd still have to call this the best playing sports game to date!
I agree with all of that. The momentum is an issue, and it's more of an issue to me because it's so crazy overdone at times, as you said. Regardless, IMO it's still the best next-gen sports title out there overall, and I've played both The Show and NHL 09, the other two contenders for that title.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
He can talk the talk

Salhus's Arena

OVR: 20

This is the worst. I thought I just didn't know how to win a 50-50 ball. Every ball in the air, especially from my goalie deliverying a goal kick, the CPU wins.

I also can't stand how almost every clearance and every header the CPU hits goes perfectly to the feet of another teammate. It sucks that the CPU makes perfect passes and all that, yet I'm on all manual and complete barely 60 % of my passes.

As much as this game is broken, it is addicting. Scoring and winning is very gratifying and I won't stop playing this until Fifa 10. Despite the extreme frustrations.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salhus
This is the worst. I thought I just didn't know how to win a 50-50 ball. Every ball in the air, especially from my goalie deliverying a goal kick, the CPU wins.

I also can't stand how almost every clearance and every header the CPU hits goes perfectly to the feet of another teammate. It sucks that the CPU makes perfect passes and all that, yet I'm on all manual and complete barely 60 % of my passes.

As much as this game is broken, it is addicting. Scoring and winning is very gratifying and I won't stop playing this until Fifa 10. Despite the extreme frustrations.
It's all about speed on the button. Press the buttons waaay before you think you should. Basically in an interview the gameplay producer explained that Fifa's CPU has a virtual controller it uses to play you, vs. a prescripted code. This is to avoid cheating. Problem is that until you have really good fluid skills on the sticks, the CPU will normally be better and faster than you. And I'm not sure if I'm imagining things or not, but it seems the CPU steps up it's level of play as you get better with the sticks. I seem to always have to continue to improve or after a while my same stale game doesn't work anymore. Maybe it's tied to the custom tactics? But I've seen the CPU use more and more elaborate passing schemes as my game has progressed.

I'm at the point now that there are less and less "thou shat not win games" but I've seen the CPU play perfect games that are frustrating in that they are using teams that are rated way below mine. That's when I want to throw the controller at the TV. Just glad I can't afford a new either!

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

They don't need to scrap it. They need to fine tune it and tie it into how the team/players are playing as well as overall team form. I'd like to see a chemistry rating that fluctuates as the season progresses. If a team has a 8 (totally random #) match winning streak their overall ratings needs a SLIGHT boost and vice versa.

Hell, even something as simple as adding an arrow next to the teams name pointing up indicating that club is on a hot streak would be good enough for me. Something like the live form they implemented last yr but in MM and tied directly into current form would be great..
Old 07-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salhus
That's not my experience exactly. When the CPU is in "momentum mode", yes. But when it goes into "klutz" mode, it's my team that wins all the jump balls, and it's my players who get the benefit of picking up loose balls seeing CPU players will stop dead and let balls roll right by them. And actually, the CPU will start passing directly at my players, while crosses miss their players and end up where my guys happen to be standing. I see plenty of errant CPU passes when it's in klutz mode.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
They don't need to scrap it. They need to fine tune it and tie it into how the team/players are playing as well as overall team form. I'd like to see a chemistry rating that fluctuates as the season progresses. If a team has a 8 (totally random #) match winning streak their overall ratings needs a SLIGHT boost and vice versa.

Hell, even something as simple as adding an arrow next to the teams name pointing up indicating that club is on a hot streak would be good enough for me.
Great idea, and I would accept something like that. Although I preferably would want to be able to shut off any momentum feature and play without it. But I'm guessing that's asking too much. It seems like every game has this programmed in now in some form or other: FIFA, The Show, NHL 09, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »