Home

manual crossing questions

This is a discussion on manual crossing questions within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
manual crossing questions

I was reading stuff from across the pond, and it was suggested that crossing be one of the first (and easiest?!?) manual settings to try. I've been trying (and failing) to go all manual...and the 2 areas that are killing me are crosses and shots (through ball, lobs, and passing are getting pretty good). now shooting has its own threads, but for those using manual crosses...how do you do it?!?

from playing and watching soccer my whole life, this is what I consider proper crossing: move quickly down the wing, get a step on the defender, whip a cross into the box.
now in video game FIFA land...after getting the opening to send the ball around the defender (no longer sprinting), I would let the cross fly...and fly it does. either over the net or back towards mid-field. maybe 20-25% of the time the ball goes where it is supposed to. and I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong, but it is maddening to finally work the ball in deep, just to have a simple cross go completely the wrong direction and ruin the attack.
do manual crosses work like free kicks where it is aim and spin, like shooting where it is based on body position, like what? when I get one to work it is like "sweet...what did I do?"
I am just looking for the correct procedure so I can work on it in practice...thanks for any input you guys have
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: manual crossing questions

Guess I'm having the same problem, lol. I have everything on Manual except crossing at the moment. It was hard enough to finally get used to using everything else on manual, it was just too frustrating for me to keep crossing on manual. I'd make some great passes to work the ball down field and then a good crossing opportunity would end up behind the keeper... in the stands.

So far crossing on Semi has worked out pretty well. It's not so easy that I'm carving up d-men with my crosses. I'm actually getting a pretty realistic amount of success from crossing at the moment. That being said, I'll probably give manual crossing another shot once I get a little better at the rest of the manual controls.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

I really like manual crossing in 09, but I haven't gotten the feel for it yet in 10. The thing I enjoyed most about it was being able to put a cross into space or to a spot. If you switched to the the nearest player quickly enough, you could run onto the ball resulting in some really cool goals. It really greatly reduces, if not eliminates, the "stuck in place" feeling you get in the aerial game with assisted crossing.

One thing has always irked me about it though -- how the heck do you use the double or triple-tap low & grounded crosses with it? Every once in a blue moon I'll get it to work, but most of the time I just get a little bloop 10yd "cross". It's a stretch to really call it a cross... I assume we're supposed to power it up & aim to get distance & location, then tap to select low or grounded. But the results are too inconsistent to know if this is in fact how it works.

And I know it could be user error my part -- I'm not great with quick commands -- but I have no problem doing double or triple-taps on assisted (when we don't have to select power). Any manual masters have some insight?
Old 10-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

it is that "stuck in place" feeling that bothers me with semi. almost like the cross is "too" accurate or something. the run on that comes with a successful manual crossed ball is definitely what I am looking for.

as far as the double and triple tap on manual...it seems (to me) like you use it the same as with semi. you don't power up at all. just double or triple tap and off the ball goes. I have not found a way to adjust where the ball is being sent as far as distance goes, the ball just whips in head high or rolls along the ground hoping for a run on. you would just have to use a regular cross if distance was important.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural320
I was reading stuff from across the pond, and it was suggested that crossing be one of the first (and easiest?!?) manual settings to try. I've been trying (and failing) to go all manual...and the 2 areas that are killing me are crosses and shots (through ball, lobs, and passing are getting pretty good). now shooting has its own threads, but for those using manual crosses...how do you do it?!?

from playing and watching soccer my whole life, this is what I consider proper crossing: move quickly down the wing, get a step on the defender, whip a cross into the box.
now in video game FIFA land...after getting the opening to send the ball around the defender (no longer sprinting), I would let the cross fly...and fly it does. either over the net or back towards mid-field. maybe 20-25% of the time the ball goes where it is supposed to. and I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong, but it is maddening to finally work the ball in deep, just to have a simple cross go completely the wrong direction and ruin the attack.
do manual crosses work like free kicks where it is aim and spin, like shooting where it is based on body position, like what? when I get one to work it is like "sweet...what did I do?"
I am just looking for the correct procedure so I can work on it in practice...thanks for any input you guys have
Verbatim-
You will use the crossing controls to put the ball into the box
when you get down into the corners, or to launch an early
opportunity from further out to an unrushing attacker. Just as
in shooting and passing, your body position, balance, speed,
and player attributes all come into play when hitting a cross.
You can add some swerve to the ball by holding the right
thumbstick in a direction as the meter is filling up. When most
players hear the term “cross” they think of the high arcing ball

into the box. In
FIFA 10, this is just the beginning. You have
a full arsenal of crosses at your disposal that you can employ
based on the situation. If you are in the crossing zone (between
the 18 yard box to the endline), you will use one set of crosses.
If you are outside of this area, you will utilise one of the early
cross techniques.

Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »