Home

MLS Formations and Tactics in FIFA 10

This is a discussion on MLS Formations and Tactics in FIFA 10 within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: MLS Formations and Tactics in FIFA 10

http://www.halln.co.uk/fifa/understa...tomtactics.htm

This is a great breakdown of what these custom tactics do.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #34
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAL925
http://www.halln.co.uk/fifa/understa...tomtactics.htm

This is a great breakdown of what these custom tactics do.

Nice, very good read. So how do we decide what teams get what slider sets in MLS?

He has these for MLS generic:

Generic North - Counter Long - Press Mixed - Long Fast
Old 10-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #35
Rookie

I took a look at the default tactics and found a lot of similarities. If we throw out the defensive sliders (assuming they will change), we have these subsets:

1. [Chivas, San Jose]
2. [Colorado, Houston, LA Galaxy]
3. [Dallas, KC, New England, New York, Salt Lake]
4. [Chicago, Columbus, Seattle, Toronto]
5. [DC United]

with the corresponding tactics (again, ignoring defensive settings, with the exception of defensive line):
1. [B,M,O - R,N,N,O - Cover]
2. [B,M,O - R,L,L,O - Offside Trap]
3. [B,M,O - R,N,L,O - Cover]
4. [B,M,F - R,L,N,O - Cover]
5. [S,S,O - R,N,L,F - Offside Trap]

These grouping are not exact matches, but in order to create better defensive settings without using up 15 of 28 save slots, these should be grouped accordingly.

Has anyone tested defensive tactics to pinpoint what MLS settings should be? Obviously, the MLS is not the EPL, so I don't expect the teams to be performing as such, but an improvement is necessary.

Last edited by RedAL925; 10-28-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2009, 11:22 PM   #36
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAL925
I took a look at the default tactics and found a lot of similarities. If we throw out the defensive sliders (assuming they will change), we have these subsets:

1. [Chivas, San Jose]
2. [Colorado, Houston, LA Galaxy]
3. [Dallas, KC, New England, New York, Salt Lake]
4. [Chicago, Columbus, Seattle, Toronto]
5. [DC United]

with the corresponding tactics (again, ignoring defensive settings, with the exception of defensive line):
1. [B,M,O - R,N,N,O - Cover]
2. [B,M,O - R,L,L,O - Offside Trap]
3. [B,M,O - R,N,L,O - Cover]
4. [B,M,F - R,L,N,O - Cover]
5. [S,S,O - R,N,L,F - Offside Trap]

These grouping are not exact matches, but in order to create better defensive settings without using up 15 of 28 save slots, these should be grouped accordingly.

Has anyone tested defensive tactics to pinpoint what MLS settings should be? Obviously, the MLS is not the EPL, so I don't expect the teams to be performing as such, but an improvement is necessary.
I am going to test the guys settings, using different generic settings for different MLS teams.

First up Sounders(me) vs Wizards. friendly

Last edited by Hunkerdown; 10-28-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:29 PM   #37
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa1980
I am going to test the guys settings, using different generic settings for different MLS teams.

First up Sounders(me) vs Wizards. friendly

Focus on the defense especially. Also, try a CPU v. CPU sim and check to see if it's like watching a game on TV rather than watching a video game, if you know what I mean.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:09 AM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 7

First, this observation was based on testing for myself and most importantly reading what other guys are trying to find THE best results. This game has promise it's just a matter of finding/perfecting it to perform better. I cut each MLS defensive aggression and pressure by 50%. What i mean is if you reduce the pressure you'll see the terminology (high,medium,low) change when it hits a certain variable; 30 something i believe, don't have the game running right now. I even, for $hits and giggles reduced them both to "1" that's actually when the wheels started turning and it all began to make sense. (what the AI perceives is how it reacts) so less pressure and aggression towards the AI = better AI.

Now this is just a starting point fella's someone needs to carry the torch from here to fine tune this endeavor. I have also tweaked the passing,shooting, and other offensive tactics in side studies to watch the AI behavior when they have the ball with reduced offense ability ie. lessened shot attempts, more passing etc. I want this game to be the best while at the same time not dummying it down too much, and i am finding that all things equal, across the board reductions/tweaks to all teams % wise, there is a soccer game to be found, and not just a run and shoot offense.

Last edited by Tycobbler; 10-29-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:29 AM   #39
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

First friendly trying these out:

Kansas City (Long Slow) at Seattle-me (Generic North)

I won match 2-1, alot of ball movement in match, was entertaining. Forward - Jaqua scored and Midfielder - Alonso scored. Wizards scorer was a midfielder. So that is positive news. Need several matches against different opponents to see if custom tactics really work. I gave each team in MLS one of the listed generic tactics for MLS.

Last edited by Hunkerdown; 10-29-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #40
Rookie

These results are promising. While making the game play better is a top priority, my only concern is that realism will be affected. I am not an expert of MLS, so I don't know whether Kansas City plays long and slow, or whether New England plays posession football. I haven't watched enough games to know these things. Randomly assigning tactics to random teams just doesn't seem realistic to me.

I am going to do some simming as well and see what I can come up with. If anyone knows how a certain team plays, I would love to know.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »