Home

Is manager mode really THAT busted?

This is a discussion on Is manager mode really THAT busted? within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #17
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Is manager mode really THAT busted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I thought the huge debt after switching teams bug had something to do with re-signing players and was fixed in the last patch? I'm probably getting two separate issues mixed up...

EDIT: Here's what I was thinking of from the patch notes --

While it does mention negative budget, it doesn't refer to changing clubs. Sucks if it is unresolved, as no one would be happy if they finally get their dream offer only to have it turn out to be a budget nightmare (I'm so clever). I guess to be safe we should all have a second MM save, especially before advancing seasons/changing teams...
I noticed this and came to this thread looking for confirmation. The negative debt glitch is HUGE, but it's really the only one I've noticed so far of any significance. For those unaware, if you switch teams (for example, if you are fired from Tottenham, as I was), you get offered a job at a low level team, only they saddle you with what was a $2 billion + debt. In other words, your team owes that much money, so you can never buy a player, FA, hire staff, etc., and there's no way you'd ever climb out of that.

Basically, it just means that this portion of MM is still FIFA '09, because if you do get fired, you won't be able to start with a new team in any meaningful way. I started over a new MM, but am having fun with it. I also lowered the "board difficulty" to semi-pro, to try and make it easier to AVOID being fired.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 6

With respect to the negative budget bug in Fifa'10, it appears that this can happen even if you do not get sacked or change teams, but also randomly at the end of season 2 or 3, etc - a definite gamebreaker for someone like myself who only plays Franchise/MM - in fact, Fifa'10 has been on the shelf for me for the last 2 weeks and I am considering breaking out the '09 version for my football fix (although that would only highlight the definite enhancements EA have made in overall gameplay since last year, thus making me even more disappointed with this year's release).

All in all Fifa'10 has been a total let down for me - I was a '09 convert to the Fifa series after playing PES since inception, and had no reason to suspect that '10 would be anything but a killer game that would consign the PES series to the scrap heap once and for all - especially with all the hype regarding the enhancements to Manager Mode - but it seems like the EA team have dropped the ball, at least with respect to Manager Mode.

There is a thread on the UK EA forum that details over 50 remaining issues post-patch with Manager Mode - a whole whack of those listed can be disregarded as inconsequential and/or total nonsense, however there does remain a good number of valid problems that would need to be addressed in order to make this mode worth investing any time or effort into - the unfortunate thing is that there appears to be no commitment from the EA devs or reps involved in the game to do so - in fact, it appears that any 'official' word is verging on the side of denial or reiteration that no further update or patch shall be forthcoming - I live in hope, however.

If you are someone that enjoys online play or one-off games, then Fifa'10 will light your candle - gameplay is cracking and challenging, and is no doubt the best out there in this genre - however, if you like the more in depth playing of a title via Manager Mode/Franchise, then I would not go anywhere near this any time soon - at least until some commitment is shown to clear up some of the real issues that prevail in this mode - unfortunately this also goes for future editions of Fifa as far as I am concerned - at least until I read copious amounts of forum posts that suggest all is working as it should.

My personal viewpoint only, of course - there seems to be a whole load of players out there enjoying this game to a high degree.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #19
*n th* Fl*w*rs

southernbelle's Arena

OVR: 16

injuries bug (only 1 weekers) is my biggest issue.... still massively playable. i dont seem to have the weather issues. about 50 50 rainy games for my gunners.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 0

What exactly do you mean by manager mode? Is there a mode where you don't control the players on the field?
Old 11-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle
injuries bug (only 1 weekers) is my biggest issue.... still massively playable. i dont seem to have the weather issues. about 50 50 rainy games for my gunners.

Holy Cahoots!

In my recent frenzy regarding the negative balance issue I forgot about the one week injury thing - totally kaput!

Maybe we should get the EA medical advisors to have a quick look at Van Persie - get him up n' running for the weekend?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #22
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl
What exactly do you mean by manager mode? Is there a mode where you don't control the players on the field?
Manager Mode is the name for Franchise mode in FIFA. It's the mode where you play through season after season with one team, sign transfers, change lineups, etc. The added wrinkle is that you're the "GM" type guy trying not to get fired. That's the mode that is partially broken.

However, so long as you don't change teams, I haven't encountered the debt glitch yet and have had much more fun playing through a FIFA season than trying to plod through Madden or even NHL 10.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:44 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 1

Ive just read the preview on the videogamer website that Manager Mode has been scrapped for Fifa 11 and replaced with a rewritten career mode. Not sure if this applies to the console versions also.

Quote:
A competent AI will certainly help FIFA 11's rewritten Career mode, which fills a gap EA Canada has made from scrapping FIFA 10's Be a Pro and Manager modes. Most fans were happy with the career modes in FIFA 10, Rutter stressed, but the development team are adamant to silence the vocal minority, so have developed an entirely new simulation engine for Career mode's behind-the-scenes technical doohickery.
http://www.videogamer.com/pc/fifa_11...ew-2515-2.html

With the heavy criticism that MM has recieved, EA do need to make big changes and overhaul it. I hope the info is correct. Though i does seem odd they've scrapped BAP, surely they can't be re-naming both modes into something else?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2

Manager Mode design is fun, not as complex as PES, but fun

Only problem was the bugs, but EA pretty much had non-soccer people testing the game (ahem outsourcing.....). Microsoft and Sony are to blame too, as that 2 Billion dollar issue should have prevented them from letting EA ship the game

Anyways I was one of the ones who flipped out at all the easy bugs and design flaws, but I guess I'm a hypocrite as I'll be entering Year 8.

The gameplay is still fun and you can work around some of the issues and like all dynasties they don't get super addictive till the 4th year when most of your scouted/drafted/recruited players start taking over (this applies to all sports)

anyways that just my opinion, I mean I wish the career mode was like PES, but what it comes down to just play having fun, its all about the gameplay within the backdrop of a career mode

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »