Home

Balls in the air ...

This is a discussion on Balls in the air ... within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Balls in the air ...

I am having all sorts of problems with winning / playing balls in the air. This includes ...

attempting headed shots
winning the ball on corners
winning the ball when the GK does a dropkick or goalkick
trapping and controlling lobbed through balls
trapping and controlling the "X" passes

I know there is something about "jostle" ... how does that work?

Is it better to try to play the ball (hit A for regular pass or Y for the through ball)? Or am I able to trap it in traffic? Does the first touch thing apply to balls in the air?

I have more questions about this - just getting started ...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Balls in the air ...

Not sure what it is on PS3, but on 360, hold LT and you'll jostle for position. When I'm doing this, I also pre-load whatever I'm about to do, shot, pass, clearance, etc. Also, when holding LT, you can still move around. It's satisfying to move while the ball is in the air and get in front of a defender.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 8

So I can hold LT to help "position" my guy while the ball is in the air. This is for receiving a GK dropkick, a lobbed through ball, a cross, a corner, etc?

And do I use the L-Stick or R-Stick to "push" the CPU player and get space?

I can "load" my move? I think I have sort of done this before ... I sometimes have already pressed A if I am trying to get a header clearance or make a pass. I find, though, that the power and accuracy of those "loaded" moves is often compromised. Would it be better if I were able to trap the ball first, and then make a more "under control" pass or shot?

I am playing All-Manual Professional (slow).
Old 12-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH
So I can hold LT to help "position" my guy while the ball is in the air. This is for receiving a GK dropkick, a lobbed through ball, a cross, a corner, etc?

And do I use the L-Stick or R-Stick to "push" the CPU player and get space?

I can "load" my move? I think I have sort of done this before ... I sometimes have already pressed A if I am trying to get a header clearance or make a pass. I find, though, that the power and accuracy of those "loaded" moves is often compromised. Would it be better if I were able to trap the ball first, and then make a more "under control" pass or shot?

I am playing All-Manual Professional (slow).
Use the L stick to move your player and push the CPU off the ball. Often, if you try and take the ball down, and then do something with it, the CPU will win it in the air.

If you see if you have time and space, take the ball, then pass/shoot. For clearances, though, I think it's best to load the action.

You can do any of this anytime the ball is in the air.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
*n th* Fl*w*rs

southernbelle's Arena

OVR: 16

for a real cheeky exit, try the "first touch" r-stick. this does not work all the time and would be consider much higher risk of success than head/pass/cross/clear pre-load. but sometimes it works to astounding results. braek aways, loads of space, and tons of goals.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

This may not be true, but it seems to me that you need to let go of the L-stick before you hit the button to head the ball (shot or pass) then move it in the direction you want to aim your header for the best results. I seemed to slide out of position a lot after a jostle if I held the L-stick the whole time. I guess it makes sense if you think about it:

1. Establish position by jostling (L-trigger/stick)
2. Set yourself (let go of stick quickly before pressing button)
3. Jump (pass or shoot button with no stick input)
4. Aim (L-stick in desired direction while holding button to power up or before you head the ball)

I seem to be winning more headers this way and having fewer off-target headed shots. Also, while I'm less sure about this, I don't think you wan't to hold the L-trigger when you press the shoot/pass button if you want your guy to jump. It seems to make them more likely to not jump for the ball. But take all of this with a grain of salt, as I could easily be imagining things... hence all the "seems to" usage.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Glad to see a topic on this. At first, I thought I was doing it wrong, but really, I think it's purposefully hard to represent the real difficulty of winning a header (and doing exactly what you want with it) whilst contested.

(I'm not British but figured a soccer thread is one of the few places I can use the word "whilst" and get away with it)

If you are uncontested and the ball comes right to you, I think you'll find that you are able to head the ball to a teammate using "pass".

If it's just a goal kick or long ball in the middle of the field, I often use the "shoot" button b/c I figure most attempted "passes" would be intercepted anyway off the head, so I just want to advance the ball forward and play it from there.

I'm almost positive that "charging" up the header is critical, so get on that button as soon as the ball is in the air. Using a combination of charging and "jostle", sometimes you can move the other player so much that both of you miss the ball. But again, "jostle" is example #151 of a great control mechanic in FIFA 10 that seems really well-implemented, but which EA never explains in their manual, tutuorials, or anywhere else. I don't know if you can combine the L stick with it, or how it works.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

I'm having a problem heading the ball low. All my headers go above the crossbar, or wide or both.

and for a childish laugh, lol at the thread title.

Last edited by ManiacMatt1782; 12-02-2009 at 04:56 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »