Home

Why can't I shoot?

This is a discussion on Why can't I shoot? within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #17
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Why can't I shoot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salhus
This is how you score on breakaways.

You can't run straight at the keeper and let it fly.

I kind of understand the logic that EA has. It's easier for the keeper to read the shot if the player shooting is coming square at him.

If your coming at him with pace and move laterally at the last second before shooting, like Storm said, the keeper will make an adjustment and that lowers his reaction timing and the save chance.
Having played last night and gotten scored on by the CPU a few times, I noticed that this is what the CPU players do as well (when they score). You need to at least switch foots with the ball or, if you have space, move a little bit East/West with it to get the keeper moving. Otherwise, their position will essentially block the entire net.

It is somewhat intuitive, but I think that I'll have to switch back from "manual" to "semi" shooting if I'm going to try it. I don't feel a signifcant difference in control between the two, other than the fact that I get 2 or 3 "WTF!" moments per game where I wanted to shoot at the net, but was facing a sideline for a moment. All "semi" does is correct that for you, but it should still be possible to aim left or right in the goal.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #18
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebby
In my opinion, there are too many breakaway opportunities. In reality, it should be easier to score on these breakaways but in order to keep the scores in check they simply made it very difficult to score like this instead of finding a way to limit the breakaway itself.
From a realism standpoint, you're absolutely right, but my sense is that it's a purposeful design choice b/c all EA's games are like that. Creating a more open style of gameplay is somewhat necessary for the fun factor b/c if you took any 12 or 14 minute chunk of a real league or international game, there would be like, what, maybe 1-3 quality scoring chances in that period of time? So they make it where you can get almost 90-minute game's worth of scoring chances in 12 minutes, but make the goaltenders significantly better than they are in real life to keep the scores realistic.

It is a sacrifice, but for the most part, I think it's one that FIFA 10 does exceptionally well.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
It is somewhat intuitive, but I think that I'll have to switch back from "manual" to "semi" shooting if I'm going to try it. I don't feel a signifcant difference in control between the two, other than the fact that I get 2 or 3 "WTF!" moments per game where I wanted to shoot at the net, but was facing a sideline for a moment. All "semi" does is correct that for you, but it should still be possible to aim left or right in the goal.
I've flopped back and forth between semi and manual the whole time I've owned the game and to be honest I don't know which one I like more b/c I can't really tell the real difference. I know for a fact that on semi you can miss the goal.

But what I don't know is whether using semi vs manual increases your chance of scoring. I don't think it does. It's all gut feel, but my guess is that both modes basically use the same logic for whether you score or not - in other words, if you take the exact same shot in either mode, you're going to get the same basic result of goal or no goal. The main difference is that with manual shooting you have a great ability to totally shank the ball where as in semi you would just barely miss the goal.

It's hard to explain... but I guess what I'm trying to say is that only real difference between semi and manual is the optical result of your actions but not the difference between scoring or not scoring. But like I said, this is purely a guess based on gut feel. All I know is that I don't seem to score more on semi and less on manual.

Fully assisted - now that is likely a different story. I think this probably just randomizes the placement of your shots and all you're basically responsible for is make sure you don't shoot it over the bar.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
From a realism standpoint, you're absolutely right, but my sense is that it's a purposeful design choice b/c all EA's games are like that. Creating a more open style of gameplay is somewhat necessary for the fun factor b/c if you took any 12 or 14 minute chunk of a real league or international game, there would be like, what, maybe 1-3 quality scoring chances in that period of time? So they make it where you can get almost 90-minute game's worth of scoring chances in 12 minutes, but make the goaltenders significantly better than they are in real life to keep the scores realistic.

It is a sacrifice, but for the most part, I think it's one that FIFA 10 does exceptionally well.
You make a good point and one that I often lose sight of. The developers are responsible for making an enjoyable game first and foremost and if they only cared about realism then we may be likely bored to tears with their products.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebby
I've flopped back and forth between semi and manual the whole time I've owned the game and to be honest I don't know which one I like more b/c I can't really tell the real difference. I know for a fact that on semi you can miss the goal.

But what I don't know is whether using semi vs manual increases your chance of scoring. I don't think it does. It's all gut feel, but my guess is that both modes basically use the same logic for whether you score or not - in other words, if you take the exact same shot in either mode, you're going to get the same basic result of goal or no goal. The main difference is that with manual shooting you have a great ability to totally shank the ball where as in semi you would just barely miss the goal.

It's hard to explain... but I guess what I'm trying to say is that only real difference between semi and manual is the optical result of your actions but not the difference between scoring or not scoring. But like I said, this is purely a guess based on gut feel. All I know is that I don't seem to score more on semi and less on manual.

Fully assisted - now that is likely a different story. I think this probably just randomizes the placement of your shots and all you're basically responsible for is make sure you don't shoot it over the bar.
I spent 2 hours one night in the practice mode trying to discern the difference between the 3 levels of assistance. This is what I found:

Manual: Full range of motion of the stick for placement of a shot. Extremely difficult when using the Tele camera..LOL!

Semi: Half the range of motion - meaning your shot will always be directed toward the right end of the pitch but the range of "forgiveness" in your shot is greater.

Assisted: Shots will always go toward the goal. You still seem to have control over placement - i.e., if I hold the stick left the shot will go to the left. If I hold it upper-left, the shot will go upper left. You can still miss badly on assisted.

I really think it all has to do with how much room you have to move the stick. I can't place a shot on manual settings to save my life. I could in 09, but I also used the Dynamic camera which put me closer to the pitch. When zoomed out, you have a lot less space to work with on the stick making manual controls a bit more difficult. I've noticed this a lot in passing as well.

YMMV but those were my observations. I've been playing with assisted shooting now. Still can't score to save my life, but have placed a few shots that I know would have sailed to a different continent if I still had shooting on manual.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #22
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

For 1v1s with the keeper, using finesse shot when aiming for a corner should increase your success. All of you make very good points, but this simple adjustment alone should help you convert more of those opportunities.

EDIT: Something else that I think can be overlooked is shooting a little earlier. The closer the keeper gets to you, the less margin for error you have. I know I'm guilty of both of these at times and it takes a conscious effort to do both when I should...

Last edited by Qb; 12-17-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #23
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

The shooting in FIFA needs work, IMO. The margin for error is extremely small and the stick and button sensitivity is way too high. Its almost a gamekiller for me on this otherwise very good game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »