Home

"Timing" for all sorts of things ...

This is a discussion on "Timing" for all sorts of things ... within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
"Timing" for all sorts of things ...

I know this is a little vague, but, many aspects of FIFA games are dependent on good timing. I can think of a number of examples. How do you "time" these for success?

1 - Performing a skill move to get past a defender
2 - Crossing a pass into the box
3 - Attempting a headed shot or volley shot
4 - Tackling the CPU without getting whistled for a foul
5 - Changing speeds while dribbling (jog / pace / sprint / skilled)
6 - Changing directions while dribbling (crisp turns)
7 - Shooting (when to use L-Stick to "aim" vs "move your player")

And is this one a timing issue? This drives me crazy!

x - Making a pass out in front of a teammate (but so that the teammate will actually GO TO THE BALL) ... this might be associated with either the through ball, the lobbed through ball, the regular ground pass, or basic lobbed pass.

I like to get better ... please help if you have any thoughts.

Thanks!

-----

[ All-Manual / Professional / Slow / 10-min Half ]

Last edited by SpHSpH; 12-11-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: "Timing" for all sorts of things ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH
1 - Performing a skill move to get past a defender
2 - Crossing a pass into the box
3 - Attempting a headed shot or volley shot
4 - Tackling the CPU without getting whistled for a foul
5 - Changing speeds while dribbling (jog / pace / sprint / skilled)
6 - Changing directions while dribbling (crisp turns)
7 - Shooting (when to use L-Stick to "aim" vs "move your player")

And is this one a timing issue? This drives me crazy!

x - Making a pass out in front of a teammate (but so that the teammate will actually GO TO THE BALL) ... this might be associated with either the through ball, the lobbed through ball, the regular ground pass, or basic lobbed pass.
1 - when you still have about 2-3 full strides (assuming you are moving) before reaching the defender. these do not automatically equal success in faking out the defender though. you are hoping for them to stop/slow their movement, or bite on a fake so you can go the other way. if they continue to barrell into you (85%+ of the time), your skill move was for nothing. yay FIFA cpu AI

2 - crossing is a tougher to gauge. if your player is running hard down the wing, send the cross when you are still a step or two away from where the edge of the box would extend towards the sidelines...momentum will have the ball swing dang near the middle of the box the majority of the time. or you could be 5-6 strides outside the box, use the L1 modifier to "early cross" so your guys can run onto it. if you have space from the defender, come to a near stop about 2-3 strides in from the box and just fire it straight in. the aerial game is a WHOLE other story, but you will at least have the crosses in there more!

3 - unfortunately, your guess is as good as anyone's...seems VERY difficult (dare I say random?) so have success in the air with any regularity in 10

4 - depends on the strength of the tackle. if you have had seveal running steps into the tackle = more likely for a foul. my advice, use the jockey instead to keep in front and then use tackle (when you are already within a step or two of the attacker) when he pushes the ball a bit too far away.

5 - if you are using a guy with some speed DON'T SPRINT (just jog) until the defender comes within a step of you, then blow past him. I'd guess at least 75% of the time you will get the step on him. if it looks like he is going to tackle you, flick the RS to knock the ball past him, sprint on by, enjoy your breakaway!

6 - not exactly sure what you mean. the closer you are to a defender, the harder it is to pull off, but the more likely you are to get around him.

7 - check out all the threads on this. on all manual it is much easier to hit the target when you position your body as opposed to "aiming"...it is not easy and very frustrating. unfortunately, just stick with it, and it really does get easier with time. I, myself, cannot nail the corners at will, but I find that I can at least get 6 or 7 quality chances (nearly 10 shots) per match (6 mins)

x - frustrating as all hell. I think the guys are just plain dumb more often than not. I have not found any rhyme or reason for the guy to run on or not move
Old 12-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
Pro

There is an "inertia" effect to the players (especially when on offense) ... they continue in motion a little bit after you have stopped using the L-Stink to control them. Think of this like a hockey player on skates (but not as extreme).

I try to figure out how to "quantify" this effect. This sometimes means that my player will continue running "EAST" while I use the L-Stick to point "NORTHEAST" so that my shot will go toward the left side of the goal (assuming that my team is attacking left to right in tele).

But do I need to let the L-Stick *briefly* "reset" (i.e. return to the origin) before I "change its purpose" (motion vs aim)? Has anyone else felt this effect? It is subtle - but I think it may be true.

This carry-over motion also applies to crossing and performing skill moves (I think). And it might also matter how fast your player was moving in the first place ...
Old 12-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
Pro

Giving this one last shot ...

I thought this would be a good conversation idea.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH
I was having a terrible time with this until I switched my "through ball" back to assisted. When I was on all-manual, I never used the through ball because I could put the ball out in front with a regular pass. Problem is, I think the AI interprets the buttons differently. If you give them a through ball, they will keep going and receive the ball in stride. This wasn't happening for me on all-manual. Again, I'm not sure if it was just because I wasn't using the through ball button or because of the manual setting. All I can say is now I use the through ball and am seeing much better play out of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
Rookie

I think I agree with you on the through ball. while I am staying all manual...I did notice that the players continue their runs when the through ball was used as opposed to regular passes.

to me, it shouldn't make any difference, but it really seems to be the case. it is frustrating to me because I can place my passes better, but the trade off is the 50-50 chance that my guy will stop running. just need to remember to work on through balls in the heat of the moment
Old 12-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

It's kind of hard to give someone advice on timing. It's too situation specific for someone to generalize it. Natural320 did a good job though and a lot of it depends on the players ratings. Reaction, agility, ball control, etc.. make a huge difference.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
Rookie

thanks...I try. I 100% agree that there are a crapton of factors involved, but I just wanted to give new FIFA players a general outline to work with.

one other timing issue...when it comes time to pick out your team when you play online...try ANY of the many "other" teams in the game as opposed to Barca, Real, Man U, Chelsea

trust me...it is more fun for everyone

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »