Home

Free Kick Discovery (at least for me)

This is a discussion on Free Kick Discovery (at least for me) within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
MVP

Lecrae's Arena

OVR: 16
Free Kick Discovery (at least for me)

I honestly don't know why it has taken me this long to figure this out but.....

On PS2 (and I would think other consoles) you can press R1 before taking a free kick and use the analog stick to swap free kick taker. I was just messing around in practice mode and noticed this while trying to get score from the extreme side (I managed to get it in like 5 times out of 100 tries but scoring from free kicks on the extreme edge was noteworthy also).

So A) Did you know you could switch free kick takers for the current kick?

and B) Have you ever scored on the kick from an extreme side (I literally was aiming for the edge of the keepers box and bending it like my life depended on it)?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Midtable shrug

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: Free Kick Discovery (at least for me)

A. Yes
B. I have never scored from a FK in FIFA. I have indirectly scored from one, like a bounce off the post and put in by another player, but I have never directly scored from a FK in all my years of playing FIFA.
Free kicks are probably one of my weaknesses.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
MVP

Ermolli's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndhusker90
A. Yes
B. I have never scored from a FK in FIFA. I have indirectly scored from one, like a bounce off the post and put in by another player, but I have never directly scored from a FK in all my years of playing FIFA.
Free kicks are probably one of my weaknesses.
Me too. I find it too hard (maybe me only) to score a FK. Any tips?
Old 06-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
MVP

Lecrae's Arena

Aim for a corner if your directly in front of the goal, push forward to give it top spin and if your near the box you should need about half power unless they are weak then maybe 3/4.

That right there usually gives me a good shot, if im toward either side of box I just send a cross in with backspin on it unless one of my guys is right in front of goal then I give him a soft cross with top spin to keep it low and it usually beats the keeper.

But it still amazes me that I never knew this, all the times I have had the wrong foot to hit the cross I want and then this pops up. omgz
Old 06-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

They just added it for FIFA10, so you weren't in the dark for too long.

I've been working on my set pieces in practice mode, as well as creating some corners & FKs, to gain an advantage over a couple of buddies I play online. They're both somewhat new to FIFA (old WE/PES fans like myself) and it's one area I have a definite edge.

Can't wait to unleash my two newest ones, both for FKs I always went for goal on before (25-30yds towards the edge of the box). I can score directly from there, but having a few guys diagonally across the box for a short lob pass into "no man's land" between the penalty spot & the 6-yd box is killing the AI in practice mode. I'm sure a person can defend it if they know it's coming, but that's what the backpost runners are for... or I can just curl it in when they forget to tell the wall to jump. It's nice to have options.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
MVP

Lecrae's Arena

4 years of playing FIFA games and I never knew this still amazes me, now I just need to sign a good placekicker who is a lefty.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
MVP

Ermolli's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecrae
Aim for a corner if your directly in front of the goal, push forward to give it top spin and if your near the box you should need about half power unless they are weak then maybe 3/4.

That right there usually gives me a good shot, if im toward either side of box I just send a cross in with backspin on it unless one of my guys is right in front of goal then I give him a soft cross with top spin to keep it low and it usually beats the keeper.

But it still amazes me that I never knew this, all the times I have had the wrong foot to hit the cross I want and then this pops up. omgz
Thanks for the advice
Old 06-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
YNWA

~LiverpoolRed~'s Arena

OVR: 24

I've sucked at FK's in every edition of FIFA until this one. All thanks to this guy's tutorials. Here's the 1st one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAgf9gdiuE0

Check out all the others. I score alot of FK's by kicking it under the wall when they jump.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »