Home

Carraggi's Corner: FIFAmerica

This is a discussion on Carraggi's Corner: FIFAmerica within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Adding in an extra game mode with 7 on 7 is not "changing the game", if you don't want to play that mode you don't have to. That being said, I don't think a feature like that is necessary, and it wouldn't even be fun - just too many guys on the field.

If you want more scoring, just play on an easier difficulty level - it's really not that hard to score on Amateur and Pro, even a beginner can get a handful of goals after playing a few games.

And completely disagree about the manager mode comment - you have multiple cups you can play for besides winning your League, transfers are fun and not hard to figure out, there's player development and scouting - FIFA's manager mode is intuitive and fun, and the new Career Mode is going to rule.

The only thing I agree with is more explanations, a mini-encyclopedia would be very helpful to the casual American fan (like myself).
Old 09-15-2010, 11:55 PM   #18
Closet pyromaniac

Whitesox's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Carraggi's Corner: FIFAmerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by slystone
Adding in an extra game mode with 7 on 7 is not "changing the game", if you don't want to play that mode you don't have to. That being said, I don't think a feature like that is necessary, and it wouldn't even be fun - just too many guys on the field.
It definitely isn't changing the game, but it would be a tragic waste of time.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:15 AM   #19
Banned

OVR: 7
Honestly, Americans will never take to a game where flopping because some guy ran 2 feet in front of you is the norm. Although I do enjoy the "Magic Spray" they have that apparently heals all "injuries" of a player that falls to the ground from not being touched. I do really enjoy the FIFA series though. And, if a game is so good it actually educates you on the nuances of a game you have never played, how is that ever a bad thing?
Old 09-16-2010, 04:14 AM   #20
Pro

OVR: 33
It took EA a long time to get FIFA to the levels of realism it now possesses. To try & create a more up tempo shooting frenzy would be a travesty. It would be like turning MLB the Show into the BIGS.

I do agree with your comments on Manager Mode. The depth of this is pitiful when compared to the likes of baseball & basketball simulations. I'm sure EA could be a little more inventive within this mode. I have noticed that this years FIFA does have stat overlays during the game which are pretty informative. It will be interesting to see whether the stat data is carried from the game to the career mode.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:37 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 1

It's strange to me when people object to additions to a game when nothing else is being removed. Arguing that resources are being dedicated to less valuable additions -- that part I can understand. This isn't really an either-or situation, though. The idea is simple enough: take lessons from the other great sports game franchises. C'mon, let's try to be reasonable.

I totally agree with some basic guide to transfers, and an explanation of formations wouldn't be too hard either -- just throw it in the tutorial videos.

All you need to hype rivalries in a video game is added commentary and maybe some altered graphics packages for the presentation. Nearly every other sports game has done it. Maybe they've improved upon it in FIFA 11...?

NBA 2K has a "street" mode that takes nothing away from the franchise or MyPlayer modes. It may not be fully fleshed-out, but it works well as a casual experience. It also may not draw huge quantities of purchases on its own, but it's approached by 2K as more of a value-adding feature. MLB: The Show added a Homerun Derby this year; ditto. Thinking that EA couldn't apply the same strategy to their FIFA products seems foolish, since they have released full-fledged FIFA Street products (quality not withstanding) in the past. An approach similar to the bundling of NBA Jam and NBA Elite 11 could possibly work well here, while keeping them separate games to appease the sim buffs that worry about their game being tainted. They could even go the NBA 2K Draft Combine route and make it DLC (...uh oh).

To grow the popularity of the video game (and the sport!), you have to limit the condescension and distaste you feel for the unenlightened, and desensitize yourself to the offense that they may bring you. This article isn't about appealing to the people that already play and love the game, it's about extending that reach to those who would dismiss it (I think the OP referred to them as "normal" ). That's part of the equation after all; a video game serves as an ambassador to the sport.

About flopping... Do you watch the NBA?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #22
Rookie

goonertaff's Arena

OVR: 5
as an Englishman who "learnt" the rules of American Football Basketball and baseball through the Internet and Games I get the idea of selling Fifa to a wider audience.

However to basterdise the core game would alienate a lot of customers just to sell it to the US audience, I realise this isnt your premise but it seems to be what everone is assuming.

I do however remember madden having a training section when I first started playing it (2004?) which was fantastic for me as it explained the concepts of running inside and outside( for example)something similar is possible im sure as too formations try

http://www.talkfootball.co.uk/guides/football_formations.html
Old 09-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #23
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by slystone

If you want more scoring, just play on an easier difficulty level - it's really not that hard to score on Amateur and Pro, even a beginner can get a handful of goals after playing a few games.

And completely disagree about the manager mode comment - you have multiple cups you can play for besides winning your League, transfers are fun and not hard to figure out, there's player development and scouting - FIFA's manager mode is intuitive and fun, and the new Career Mode is going to rule.

The only thing I agree with is more explanations, a mini-encyclopedia would be very helpful to the casual American fan (like myself).
Can't you do 7 on 7 in practice mode?
Old 09-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #24
Closet pyromaniac

Whitesox's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBOO
Honestly, Americans will never take to a game where flopping because some guy ran 2 feet in front of you is the norm.
You're embellishing the embellishment.

I wish some Americans would open their eyes and see that it happens in all sports, not just soccer. But I digress, just had to get that off of my chest.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »