Home

Carraggi's Corner: FIFAmerica

This is a discussion on Carraggi's Corner: FIFAmerica within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Carraggi's Corner: FIFAmerica

It's no secret that international football is utterly lost on the majority of Americans. Yes, generally speaking, soccer is becoming more popular in the States, but we Yanks still can't even call it by its proper name. It's backwards, inside-out and upside-down. It's closest relative in the the States is hockey, which has far deeper roots in Canada.

EA's FIFA series has nonetheless become the company's cash cow (sorry Madden) in recent years, a position it would be hard-pressed to be in if not for the American dollars being shelled out for it. But FIFA is the only major sports title not primarily geared towards an American audience, even if it admittedly makes some compromises to attract said audience.

What exactly is it that average American soccer fans (like myself) want from soccer games, and how could FIFA better suit them? In rapid-fire style, let's flop -- er, dive in.

Read More - Carraggi's Corner: FIFAmerica
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
7 on 7 would never work especially as its traditional here i mainland europe for it to be played by 7-11 year olds with smaller balls and pithches it just wouldnt be right....5 aside in a 'cage (ala fifa street) is thew most obvious option for this 1....
Old 09-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1
you want high scoring? are you also happy with madden being ultra-offense happy? fifa 10 was a farce when it came to scoring goals, hopefully they tone it down for fifa 11
Old 09-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Love Celtic, Hate Racism

CeltBhoy33's Arena

OVR: 43
Sorry lad but Rivalries be lost amongst fans of San Jose and Philly Union? Most MLS fans are very intelligent when it comes to footy. If you were to say at a Fire watch party and you strike up a conversation about Celtic v.s Rangers you would have many lads coming up to you talking about the rivalry and how great it is. Not a bunch of wee clueless idiots asking why would the Texas Rangers by playing the Boston Celtics. They have also addressed the manager mode are working on it from what I have read.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 14
so you are asking FIFA to educate you on the game? you would like FIFA to create a sense of urgency and excitement for you? I personally fell in love with the game during this past World Cup and am like a kid in the candy store now as I'm exploring the beauty of this game at the club level. I'm a huge college football guy, but honestly once you get past the low scoring and the draws, the game really is incredible. Anything can happen in soccer. I would argue that the ability to have a draw makes the league standings and season so much more interesting and keeps so many more teams involved. Plus, the sheer fact that teams can drop out of the top leagues for poor performance and teams in the lower divisions can earn their way up is absolutely the greatest thing in sports. Imagine if the Pittsburgh Pirates had the AAA staring them in the face every year. Changes things doesn't it? Anyway I'm rambling. You just need to get over the soccer hump see how great the game is, then you'll actually enjoy playing it on your console.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
Closet pyromaniac

Whitesox's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Carraggi's Corner: FIFAmerica

It's crazy to think someone might buy a game just because it has a 7 on 7 mode. I quite object to this notion. I don't want to play 9-6 games. Not sure I know anyone, fan or not, that does.

Could the explain the transfer system better? Sure.

Quote:
these types of rivalries might be lost on the normal fans of the San Jose Earthquakes and the Philadelphia Union.
This is a slap in the face to fans of the MLS.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinc79
so you are asking FIFA to educate you on the game? you would like FIFA to create a sense of urgency and excitement for you? I personally fell in love with the game during this past World Cup and am like a kid in the candy store now as I'm exploring the beauty of this game at the club level. I'm a huge college football guy, but honestly once you get past the low scoring and the draws, the game really is incredible. Anything can happen in soccer. I would argue that the ability to have a draw makes the league standings and season so much more interesting and keeps so many more teams involved. Plus, the sheer fact that teams can drop out of the top leagues for poor performance and teams in the lower divisions can earn their way up is absolutely the greatest thing in sports. Imagine if the Pittsburgh Pirates had the AAA staring them in the face every year. Changes things doesn't it? Anyway I'm rambling. You just need to get over the soccer hump see how great the game is, then you'll actually enjoy playing it on your console.
Agreed this is why football (soccer) is by far the worlds most popular sport, and in many countries like my own its more than a game, its a religion ;P however the fact that anything is possible makes it painful also (Asamoah gyans penalty still gives me nightmares and im not even of african descent ...)
Old 09-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
Love Celtic, Hate Racism

CeltBhoy33's Arena

OVR: 43
I agree completely whitesox. A thought process like that is trying to take offsides away from the game or overtime.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »