Home

This or FIFA 10?

This is a discussion on This or FIFA 10? within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
Just some dude...

BobbyColtrane's Arena

OVR: 15
This or FIFA 10?

I've read that franchise mode took some steps back this year, are the gameplay upgrades worth getting the new game, or should I just buy FIFA 10 used?

your opinion please.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: This or FIFA 10?

I've been hugely disappointed with this game as an offline manager mode player. It certainly took a step backwards.

I loved FIFA 10 and played that right up until World Cup came out which I also loved. I thought they made some nice improvements between those two but I don't like FIFA 11 and haven't even finished a single season. There;s too much pressure from the AI and it's just not as fun as it previously was. They seemed to make some minute changes to the AI but nothing significant like off the ball runs, build up play, and intelligent counter attacks.

I'd recommend waiting for the reviews of upcoming patch before you make your decision.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
Just some dude...

BobbyColtrane's Arena

Thanks for your help I'm in no real hurry so I'll wait for the patch. I have a huge backlog of games right now.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerDanjo
I've been hugely disappointed with this game as an offline manager mode player. It certainly took a step backwards.

I loved FIFA 10 and played that right up until World Cup came out which I also loved. I thought they made some nice improvements between those two but I don't like FIFA 11 and haven't even finished a single season. There;s too much pressure from the AI and it's just not as fun as it previously was. They seemed to make some minute changes to the AI but nothing significant like off the ball runs, build up play, and intelligent counter attacks.

I'd recommend waiting for the reviews of upcoming patch before you make your decision.
Agreed. If the patch doesn't fix some issues, FIFA 10 for cheap may not be a bad investment.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13

It's tougher to score in this year's game. I can play 15-20 min halves and still get 1-0 games. 2-2 games etc. Fifa 10 was more wide open so if you like high scoring games Fifa 10 is the way to go. This year's game is definitely more physical. Feels like Serie A every time I play lol. Hopefully the patch will fix the tackling frequency but overall I like the fact that I can play more minutes in order to get more realistic stats without scoring 5 goals every game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

Oh, this thread was made for me...I've been playing out that same debate for a few weeks now in my head. (I currently own both FIFA 10 & 11, as well as PES 11, intending to trade one of the new games in).

FIFA 10 advantages:
(1) Manager Mode scouting (FIFA 11 removed scouting young players! All you can do is transfer/loan players from other squads)
(2) Manager Mode easier to navigate (they put a calendar system in, but it's just an interface with no real depth...sorting transfer lists can be a pain in the butt)
(3) Less aggressive tackling/A.I. (FIFA 10 seems better tuned, though FIFA 11 could theoretically be patched. You at least have time to make decisions at midfield in FIFA 10. Given EA's poor record of supporting FIFA, though, I think FIFA 11 is what it is)

FIFA 11 advantages:
(1) Manager Mode less buggy (They took out key features, but MM in '10 was frustrating because of the negative cash flow bug and the fact that you basically couldn't switch teams after you started)
(2) Visuals/animations (not a drastic improvement, but some great lighting, better faces, celebrations, more personality overall)
(3) Aerial play improved (Winning headers is less predictable now, and you can really see guys go for the ball)
(4) Tons of features (Be a Goalie, 11 on 11 online play, new PC Creation Center for teams and created players)

I really want to like FIFA 11, but they messed up some of the things that made it fun. It's a beautiful game, all the teams are there, and the controls work like you want them to, but the results are frustrating because the action just turns into constantly stealing the ball back and forth. I'll give it a few more shots, but I think FIFA 10 will be remembered as a much better title.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown2600
It's tougher to score in this year's game. I can play 15-20 min halves and still get 1-0 games. 2-2 games etc. Fifa 10 was more wide open so if you like high scoring games Fifa 10 is the way to go. This year's game is definitely more physical. Feels like Serie A every time I play lol. Hopefully the patch will fix the tackling frequency but overall I like the fact that I can play more minutes in order to get more realistic stats without scoring 5 goals every game.
Totally agree that it's tougher to score in FIFA 11 (that's part of my frustration), but it isn't done in a realistic way. In real soccer (at least what I know of it), yes, it's difficult to score, but the main reason is because it takes a series of well-timed passes followed by a well-placed strike to get a goal. But it isn't uncommon for one team to keep possession for 15-30 seconds (or more), even if they're just working the ball back and forth looking for an opening.

In FIFA 11, if you get too close to a defender, they will jump on your back and steal the ball. Period. Doesn't matter how good the defender is or anything like that. Which means that I spend the entire game using fast players to try and run around the corner and throw some pathetic cross into the box, which rarely works. I have basically no success using interior passes to work up the middle of the field. When I actually make it to the net with a clear shot, I do finish at a realistic rate. But from a video game standpoint, I play 7 minute halves, and so far, I just found the "arcade" up-and-down play of FIFA 10 to be a heck of a lot more fun than having the ball ping ponging back and forth in the center of the field in FIFA 11.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

I completely agree with you storm, this year its just send the wing down the side line and lob a prayer up for the striker to head one in. Defenders are just insanely fast and will catch up you on a break away.

I don't like the whole personality + garbage either. players are missing easy goals that they would never miss in real life. Hell even the AI can't score after intercepting a pass from the goalie.

FIFA 10 was so much more fun, im so upset with myself for selling it before 11 came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
Totally agree that it's tougher to score in FIFA 11 (that's part of my frustration), but it isn't done in a realistic way. In real soccer (at least what I know of it), yes, it's difficult to score, but the main reason is because it takes a series of well-timed passes followed by a well-placed strike to get a goal. But it isn't uncommon for one team to keep possession for 15-30 seconds (or more), even if they're just working the ball back and forth looking for an opening.

In FIFA 11, if you get too close to a defender, they will jump on your back and steal the ball. Period. Doesn't matter how good the defender is or anything like that. Which means that I spend the entire game using fast players to try and run around the corner and throw some pathetic cross into the box, which rarely works. I have basically no success using interior passes to work up the middle of the field. When I actually make it to the net with a clear shot, I do finish at a realistic rate. But from a video game standpoint, I play 7 minute halves, and so far, I just found the "arcade" up-and-down play of FIFA 10 to be a heck of a lot more fun than having the ball ping ponging back and forth in the center of the field in FIFA 11.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »