Home

Fired?!? What the %&^$! Help!

This is a discussion on Fired?!? What the %&^$! Help! within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Fired?!? What the %&^$! Help!

First, I don't know what to tell you about your "lost VP". I chose not to use mine in my CM -- felt dirty having a mid-80s rated player on a Championship side -- and haven't put much thought or research into the player/manager option. If I somehow find or hear of a solution, I'll make sure you hear it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH
It is a bummer that the board expectations are high and (mostly) inflexible.

This game is actually LESS realistic if I need to finish top of the league each season. Only one team will finish #1 in the REAL English League One ... but there will not be 23 teams firing their manager. Some of the realism should be associated with trying to stay above the mid-table or earning a place into the Europa Cup (or things like that).
It appears I was too vague in my post. My point was that earning promotion would be a better objective for good teams in lower leagues than winning the league, at least within the context of the game. Like you said, for a board to be dissatisfied with manager who earned promotion isn't very intuitive for a career mode. I'm fine with having top teams in top-flight leagues being expected to win the title... that's a different animal.

There are other objectives, as they are assigned based on the strength of your team relative to the league. Your own examples showed one of them -- "avoid relegation" for a newly promoted team, which is spot-on and one can argue that a freshly relegated team should be expected to finish at or near the top of their new lower league. I've also seen things like "finish in the top six" with Dortmund and "finish in the top half" with West Ham when fooling around with team selection to see what starting objectives I would have.

As for your point about Ferguson, Wenger, Mancini... it appears you're forgetting a very important piece of the puzzle -- manager prestige. They don't get fired because they ARE Ferguson, Wenger, Mancini; or in FIFA terms, 5* managers. We get dealt with harshly because we usually have 1* reputations when evaluation time rolls around... think Chris Hughton. Much like the objective system, it might not be the "fairest" system for the gamer, but I get the idea behind it.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Sounds like you got the short end of the stick to me. When in a lower league the objective shouldn't be to win the league, it should be to get promoted. I think any owner/chairman would be satisfied with promotion -- aside from Mike Ashley -- as the League One trophy is not exactly something to hang your hat on.

Makes me wonder about my CM... my objective is either to win the league or finish in top two (I think it's the latter). There's a decent chance I won't since there's so much parity in the Championship and it seems more difficult to quickly improve your squad this year. I would not like to be fired after slogging through a 50+ game season in the Championship. It's not exactly the most exciting way to play the game -- can't imagine going down a division or two... yuck -- and does have its positives, but it is one hell of grind. Especially when I'm mostly looking forward to getting promoted and earning a better job. But don't tell the Forest supporters that...
I'm gonna tell the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH
Anything about my "lost" VP?

Is it possible to change jobs (either because of firing or because you are "moving up") and still keep your VP? This was the entire reason that I selected the player/manager setting ... I wanted to PLAY AND MANAGE!
Wouldn't your VP stay on whatever current team he's on?
Old 01-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 8

Two points ...

Yes - you are totally right on Houghton - I thought he got the shaft.

My manager prestige had risen to 2 stars (from starting at zero). I actually thought that would *help* me overcome the fact that I did not finish at the top of the table. Alas - it was not enough.

My idea of how a realistic / enjoyable career would go looks like this ...

(With a middle-to-good team in League One)

Year 1 - Finish in top 6 (i.e. no worse than promotion playoff)
Year 2 - Get promoted to Champ (finish top 2 OR win the promotion playoff)
Year 3 - Avoid relegation
Year 4 - Finish in the top half
Year 5 - Finish in top 6 (i.e. no worse than promotion playoff)
Year 6 - Get promoted to EPL
Year 7 - Avoid relegation

... etc ...

Oh - and a third point - I am also playing 15 minutes per half. I really like what it does for the gameplay (allowing slow, measured build-up) - but it does cut down on my games-per-session ratio ... which means it takes more "real time" to complete a season.

Which is why it is an even BIGGER bummer to get sacked!

Thanks for the thoughts ...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
MVP

boisejames's Arena

OVR: 14

I'm in my first season with English League 2 Southend United my goal is to finish top 6 (I got fired in the first performance review so I started over, I was 14th). I'm now three games from the end of the season and I'm 13th but getting better and if I win the rest I should finish around 8th. I'm worried about getting fired, I also find it unrealistic and even kind of dumb.

Anyway, I hope I don't get fired considering I got to the 4th round of the FA cup and went from half a star to 2 and a half stars as a manager.

EDIT: Won another. 10th on the table now. Five points back from 7th and one back from 8th and 9th with a better goal difference than all of them. I think a read in this thread that if you're within three spots of where your goal is then you're job is safe so I probably need to win one of the last two and not lose either.
MLB: SEA
EFL: BHA
MLS: POR

Last edited by boisejames; 01-06-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #13
Pro

goalie's Arena

OVR: 29

i'mm gonna wind up fired soon, i think...

chose Everton. i think top 6 was the objective. and i am 1-3-3 after 7 games, sitting 15th in the table...

i am just starting out with the game, and am playing "professional" difficulty, so i guess this is ok... but i don't think i'm going to "learn" fast enough...
Old 01-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #14
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie
i'mm gonna wind up fired soon, i think...

chose Everton. i think top 6 was the objective. and i am 1-3-3 after 7 games, sitting 15th in the table...

i am just starting out with the game, and am playing "professional" difficulty, so i guess this is ok... but i don't think i'm going to "learn" fast enough...
Im doing Everton now lol. 2nd in the table behind Liverpool of all teams. 10 mins, normal speed, all manual except semi crossing.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #15
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisejames
I think a read in this thread that if you're within three spots of where your goal is then you're job is safe so I probably need to win one of the last two and not lose either.
I finished 5th when the objective was to finish 1st.

So I was "Delta = 4".

And I got fired.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #16
MVP

boisejames's Arena

OVR: 14

So I finished tenth and didn't get fired??? Oh well, yay! lol. Season two, looking to get promoted this time since I've gotten better.
MLB: SEA
EFL: BHA
MLS: POR

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »